Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Starter Button or Starter ?  (Read 1247 times)

Offline fw750x

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650cc
  • City / Town: Belfast
Re: Starter Button or Starter ?
« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2021, 11:05 PM »
Hello McVicar  i also changed the Starter Switch gear But the Problem kept coming back, It turned out to be the Starter Solenoid behind  the Side Panel on the Clutch side. The old relay Connections were Green with corrosion it Must have been Spray from the back wheel Despite being buried behind the Side Panel . The bike has never missed a bit since then. Cheers Francis
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2021, 11:09 PM by fw750x »

Online McVicar

• Versys Pro
  • Berrow, Somerset
  • Bike: 2018 GT
  • City / Town: Berrow, Somerset
« Reply #11 on: Jun 11, 2021, 07:09 AM »
Thanks for the update. I thought mine was sorted but after 3 days touring Wales I had the problem 2 or three times. Last year the dealer changed what they called the starter relay, is that the solenoid you are talking about? Because the pump whirrs and needles sweep every time I'm thinking the ignition barrel is ok, so will clean up the contacts in the starter switch.

Offline fw750x

• Versys Pro
« Reply #12 on: Jun 11, 2021, 08:21 AM »
Hello Again McVicar If you remove the Side Panel the Solenoid is held on with 2 Bolts , I will Check Tonight when I get Home . Cheers Francis

Online McVicar

• Versys Pro
  • Berrow, Somerset
« Reply #13 on: Jun 11, 2021, 03:53 PM »
Hi Francis, don't go out of your way. I presume what the dealer called the starter relay is the solenoid you are talking about so I'll discount that from being the problem for now. As I say the pump and needles do what they should on start up so I am going to discount the ignition barrel for now and open up the starter button housing and give that a good clean. I am thinking the problem is in there because I kept the starter button pressed in for a couple of seconds and it fired up. The problem is it only did it two or three time from about thirty or so starts over three days so it's hard to trace. The problem is when you're out and about off the beaten track it's always at the back of your mind and is a pain. I'll post back with my findings but wont get chance to look at it now  until Monday. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Offline fw750x

• Versys Pro
« Reply #14 on: Jun 11, 2021, 06:08 PM »
Hello Again McVicar  its the Starter Relay My Mistake  It Has 2 Fuses on it the Part Number is 270100099 ( Switch Magnetic ) i Got it from Cradley Kawasaki , This is the Most important Part it was Wait for it are you sitting Down 96.80 All in .If you Remove the Side Panel on the Clutch Side it is Buried Just Under the Frame Rail ,Disconnect the Battery First Then  Its worth a Try to take it out and Clean the 2 Terminals and Put on Dielectric Grease on the Terminals when you have refitted it , Try this Before ordering a New Starter Relay . Do you have a Rear Hugger Fitted to your Bike ? If not see if you can Cover up the Relay to keep the Spray off it . Hope this Helps Cheers Francis 

Online McVicar

• Versys Pro
  • Berrow, Somerset
« Reply #15 on: Jun 11, 2021, 06:19 PM »
The dealer has already fitted a new starter relay so I think I can discount that. I have a hugger fitted now so that should be ok.  I'll try cleaning the contacts in the starter switch next and see what happens.