Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Trusty V an Insurance Write-off for a New Mudguard and Front Fairing?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline mop1960

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2106 ABS
  • City / Town: London
Greetings and Compliments of the Season

A sad tale and a request for assistance from fellow Versys riders. Minding my own business in a queue of traffic on my local High Street yesterday and a complete T**T in a BMW X1 decided to reverse up to admit another motorist out of a parking space. I toot my horn  but he keeps coming, reversing over my front wheel. The sad results are in the photos attached; shattered front mudguard, a chunk taken out of the front fairing and a small crack in the upper r/h side fairing. Said T**T says he looked in his side mirror but did not see anything thought it was safe to reverse. I say itís fortunate there wasn't  a small child crossing the road behind him. I got two witnesses, in case he says I rode into the back of him. I managed to stay on the bike and was not hurt, thank God.

I call my insurer and the nice lady says that my bike is now "beyond economic repair" and they will call a salvage company to collect it. They want my original V5, original MoT certificate, original service record Ė no chance, I want my bike back.  They are collecting my beloved bike on Monday and I'm gutted that I need to spend most of the intervening period over Christmas removing all the lovely gadgets Iíve fitted in case I never see the bike again.

Itís a 2016 ABS with only 9K miles on the clock and I paid £4,500 for it 11 months ago. The parts cost from Kawasaki UK is about £500 so even with labour itís difficult to understand how that is not economical to repair.   

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Can anyone advise me how to ensure that I get the bike back and not be out-of-pocket? I have legal cover so am happy to instruct solicitors to claim back any financial losses.

Many thanks for reading this and Merry Christmas!

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
 :185: to the forum Mop.  How on earth can an insurance representative claim that your bike is beyond economical repair when they haven't even seen the damage, is beyond me .

I would be telling them to f off. You  pay your premiums so that when something like this happens they fight for you, and not , just to say ok we will send someone to pick the bike up ( No doubt leaving you bike less)).

You need an insurance assessor to come to you at home, or wherever the bike is parked, and let him decide regarding the damage to the bike.

Tell the company that you think that they are trying to have your trousers down.   It's no skin off their nose what the cost to fix the bike will be, they will be claiming off the other blokes insurance.

They should be ashamed of the way they have initially dealt with you.  They need to do a LOT better.  Put the ball in their court.  It's what you pay insurance for.  Get  :125:

Geoff  :002:
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2019, 06:14 PM by 100milesaway »
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS

No way should you let them take your bike under those circumstances.
Something very fishy going on there imo.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Online Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
I can't add anything useful to the advice (they know more than me!), but I feel for you. The same thing nearly happened to me two Saturdays ago. I was only saved because of a large gap (at the start) between me and the idiot and because it was facing uphill so I suddenly found reverse gear!

But do ge them to send an assessor.

Offline mop1960

• Versys Newbie
Thanks for your advice guys, It does sound very dodgy that a salvage agent called Copart should collect my bile. Their agent told me on the phone that if the bike was written off it would be sold at auction and I could bid for it if I registered and paid £60.00   :187:. I'm going to call Hastings Direct as soon as they are open, tell them I'm not happy with the solution they have offered, request that they send an insurance assessor to inspect the bike and cancel the collection of the bike by Copart.

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
They seem to do this more and more, just pay out, no quibbles and then auction back through Copart, they are a massive outfit and actually quite helpful.
Mate had his Focus ST stolen on a sunday,paid out £16K on the Thursday for it. two weeks later police tell him its found and reciovered to copart where they happily tokk 30 photos of his car forr him . he pays his £50 and long story short buys it back for £12k. changes the locks and jobs a good un.
You can view on Copart for free but its really a dealer trader site , you should see how cheap vehicles go for.

I guess for them  in the round between the admin and cost of dealing with you/assesor  direct or paying out and getting a wad back from copart there is little difference.

MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
*Originally Posted by mop1960 [+]
Thanks for your advice guys, It does sound very dodgy that a salvage agent called Copart should collect my bile. Their agent told me on the phone that if the bike was written off it would be sold at auction and I could bid for it if I registered and paid £60.00   :187:. I'm going to call Hastings Direct as soon as they are open, tell them I'm not happy with the solution they have offered, request that they send an insurance assessor to inspect the bike and cancel the collection of the bike by Copart.
  Good lad.   Make the barstewards work for YOU !!!! not just making it easy for themselves.
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline penry

• Versys Pro
  • Campsite Clouseau
  • Bike: Versys 650 SE
  • City / Town: Wakefield
*Originally Posted by mop1960 [+]

If the bike is written off and you are paid out it becomes the property of the insurer. They may be very happy to sell it back to you at 'market value' ( what they think they will get for it at auction ).  Don't rant at them when you call ( not that you would ), this could be a win/win situation for both of you. They retain a happy customer ( you )  it saves the insurer auction and recovery fees and you get a bargain.

Good Luck.
No solution is insurmountable...

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Bike bereft
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
*Originally Posted by penry [+]
If the bike is written off and you are paid out it becomes the property of the insurer. They may be very happy to sell it back to you at 'market value' ( what they think they will get for it at auction ).  Don't rant at them when you call ( not that you would ), this could be a win/win situation for both of you. They retain a happy customer ( you )  it saves the insurer auction and recovery fees and you get a bargain.

Good Luck.

Not necessarily.
He will then have a bike on the insurance register as written off.
That will then affect the resale value and might make it more difficult to insure.

I would push to get it repaired.

Offline mop1960

• Versys Newbie
*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
Not necessarily.
He will then have a bike on the insurance register as written off.
That will then affect the resale value and might make it more difficult to insure.

I would push to get it repaired.

Thanks  for your further advice guys.  I can't bear the thought of such a nice bike in otherwise perfect condition being written off so I'm going to push to have it repaired.  They cannot write if it off unseen can they?  If the insurers won't authorise repairs I will simply withdraw my claim and sort out the repairs myself.  As I have legal cover I may be able to get a claim against the third party for the cost of the parts, but if not I'm still less out of pocket than the policy excess and retain my NCB.