Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 1st ride of 2020  (Read 2231 times)

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
Re: 1st ride of 2020
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2020, 06:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wal [+]

and by the way, i'm hoping this Versys gets me up to Estonia this year.......coffee's on you.....?   :015:

Oh yes absolutely, why not. I just finished building a shed so I can also help out travelers with oil changes, chain adjustments and other simpler tasks. Me myself is planning a long trip this year which will not take me to the UK, but nearer than ever before, perhaps even up to Dunkirk and from there things will go south, real south like Nice, Cannes and the alike. Previously I have taken the direct route to south through Poland, but now Kaliningrad is open with free e-visa and I sh#t you not, a random hostel is like 8EUR/night and gas is like 0.7 EUR/liter, I just have to go and milk that tit as much as I possibly can. You can also imagine how cheap it is there to get your bike washed, tires fitted, grab a half gallon whiskey for the road and have at least three haircuts just because you can.

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2020, 08:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by jkristjan [+]
Oh yes absolutely, why not. I just finished building a shed so I can also help out travelers with oil changes, chain adjustments and other simpler tasks. Me myself is planning a long trip this year which will not take me to the UK, but nearer than ever before, perhaps even up to Dunkirk and from there things will go south, real south like Nice, Cannes and the alike. Previously I have taken the direct route to south through Poland, but now Kaliningrad is open with free e-visa and I sh#t you not, a random hostel is like 8EUR/night and gas is like 0.7 EUR/liter, I just have to go and milk that tit as much as I possibly can. You can also imagine how cheap it is there to get your bike washed, tires fitted, grab a half gallon whiskey for the road and have at least three haircuts just because you can.

yeah, Kaliningrad is tempting.....i want to ride Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania first though, and try ferry over to Helsinki

i often use Dunkirk to Dover ferry, only around 30, just over 2 hours to get across, just enough time for a breakfast/supper

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2020, 08:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
First thoughts on the bike Wal   :027:  .

back to Bolton in the morning for 1st service, i'll post my thoughts so far over the weekend.....

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:12 PM »

yeah, Kaliningrad is tempting.....i want to ride Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania first though, and try ferry over to Helsinki

i often use Dunkirk to Dover ferry, only around 30, just over 2 hours to get across, just enough time for a breakfast/supper

...so did you look at the map? If you cross the channel and take the shortest path towards Tallinn, you will ride through Kaliningrad instead of going around it. The overland journey from Tallinn to Hamburg just got shorter by the opening of the Russian e-Visa. If you don't want to take the large highways like Berlin-Warsaw of course. If you do that, then you will indeed not need to cross Kaliningrad.

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2020, 10:30 PM »
...so did you look at the map? If you cross the channel and take the shortest path towards Tallinn, you will ride through Kaliningrad instead of going around it. The overland journey from Tallinn to Hamburg just got shorter by the opening of the Russian e-Visa. If you don't want to take the large highways like Berlin-Warsaw of course. If you do that, then you will indeed not need to cross Kaliningrad.

yes i'd looked at map, didnt realise it was so easy to get visa for Kaliningrad

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2020, 10:55 PM »
Now when you pointed that out... UK is no on the list of e-Visa countries, so you cannot https://electronic-visa.kdmid.ru/klgd_country_en.html

But Ireland is. Oh well, thinking about this, when was the next Brexit again, January 31st? Who knows what visas you gonna need after that to take the ferry over the channel.

Offline Dilbert

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:14 PM »
bog off.............. :008:

I actually quite like the look of both the newer 650 and 1000, the good thing about the 650's was always the low exhaust and neat panniers, what's the newer one like in that regard ?
Just passin' through

Offline Dilbert

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:24 PM »
Now when you pointed that out... UK is no on the list of e-Visa countries, so you cannot https://electronic-visa.kdmid.ru/klgd_country_en.html

But Ireland is. Oh well, thinking about this, when was the next Brexit again, January 31st? Who knows what visas you gonna need after that to take the ferry over the channel.

A lot of people with European tours planned will be watching that one, 31 Jan 2020 looks like being implementation of the Withdrawal Act and then we allegedly go into some sort of totally undefined transition period for a year, or two, largely depends on how big a balls-up of things our illustrious leader makes of things  :015:

There will be some sort of travel arrangements put in place, just not sure how many hoops you will have to jump through, or how much it will cost, it's not going to be pretty, or easy  :006:
Just passin' through

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
A lot of people with European tours planned will be watching that one, 31 Jan 2020 looks like being implementation of the Withdrawal Act and then we allegedly go into some sort of totally undefined transition period for a year, or two, largely depends on how big a balls-up of things our illustrious leader makes of things  :015:

There will be some sort of travel arrangements put in place, just not sure how many hoops you will have to jump through, or how much it will cost, it's not going to be pretty, or easy  :006:
Worry ye not.   It'll be reet.   :001:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
I actually quite like the look of both the newer 650 and 1000, the good thing about the 650's was always the low exhaust and neat panniers, what's the newer one like in that regard ?
For normal folk doing normal things the panniers on the MK3 650 are fine .  But if you want to go and have a crash fest in a desert somewhere, maybe ammo boxes would be better suited.
What would you rather be, or a wasp?