Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Powerbronze wind deflectors  (Read 653 times)

Offline Kernow57

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2018 Versys 650
  • City / Town: St Austell
Powerbronze wind deflectors
« on: Jan 02, 2020, 06:07 PM »
Iíve replaced my screen with a Skidmarx, which is an improvement but Iím still getting a lot of wind on my shoulders which is creating a lot of noise! Has anyone else had the same problem and have anyone purchased the powerbronze wind deflectors and are they compatible with Kawasaki handguards? Iíve got a 2018 650 Versys.
Kernow57

Online jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
Re: Powerbronze wind deflectors
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2020, 07:34 PM »
Do you want the ugly truth or the comfortable lie? The screen you bought probably just does not work, it is too low and small. Don't feel bad, I bought them all, Puig, MRA Vario, all the best and biggest touring screens and none works because they are just shy of the correct height by an inch or so. The only one that works is the big ugly D4114ST and not because of some cleaver aerodynamic hocus-pocus, but because it is the right size.

Based on my experience with these screens, I also have hopes that V-Stream and Ermax touring screens will work, as they are the right size. As I don't like the looks of D4114ST, I might decide to buy Ermax this spring and test it out, more info on that here:
With the D4114ST and other screens of the right height, there is another mod that you'll need to do. The windscreen mounting posts need to be tilted backwards, in other words, the screen is mounted too upright in the factory setting. For that I just used a bunch of  8mm washers under the front mounting bolts of the windscreen holders, you'll see what I mean once you disassemble it all. The increase of the windscreen backward lean is necessary in order for you to look over, not through the high windshield.

The small screens, including the stock screen, benefit from the popular clip-mounted additional spoiler at the top. With this they are quite usable, but again with no magic involved, this way they just reach they correct height as a full-size windscreen does.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2020, 07:36 PM by jkristjan »

Online Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2020, 08:33 PM »
ive got std screen with a puig spoiler fitted on top, this is temporary until i decide on a screen, as it is its quite good, no buffeting or wind noise around the helmet, but because the std screen is narrow at the top i too get wind noise off my shoulders, so what i need is wider screen, i'm happy with height, as we know, screens are subject to size of rider, i'm just over 5ft 7 ins so height is not too bad for me

Offline Kernow57

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2018 Versys 650
  • City / Town: St Austell
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2020, 09:37 AM »
Like you Wal Iím happy with the height of the screen being 5í 7Ē but  from what Iíve reserched none of the after market screens are wide enough to stop the windblast off my arms and shoulders so l was hoping the powerbronze wind deflectors would elevate the problem.
Kernow57

Online jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2020, 09:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by Kernow57 [+]
Like you Wal Iím happy with the height of the screen being 5í 7Ē but  from what Iíve reserched none of the after market screens are wide enough to stop the windblast off my arms and shoulders so l was hoping the powerbronze wind deflectors would elevate the problem.

Well it always remains somewhat debatable because even sitting behind a moving barn door you will get some airflow, but I can strongly and sincerely argue that D4114ST does exactly that - it is wide enough to stop the windblast off your arms and shoulders. I have a serious love-hate relationship with that screen, I can say it is an absolute engineering marvel because it solves the problem on the Versys that most other premium screen brands fail to solve. But the looks of it are a murder. Another screen with similar surface area seems to be the V-Stream and that thing does not seem to be so ugly, but it is effing expensive and I don't know if you can even get it in Europe.

Online Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2020, 09:11 PM »
yeah, ive seen the V stream, someone on here in the UK had one, not sure where he got it, i'll go for the one thats most wider than std and live with it, the setup i have now is not that bad up to 70mph, then starts to get  bit noisy around the shoulders

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2020, 02:13 AM »

I've been using CalSci windshields and like them. For the 650 V they are 15" wide at the top and 19" at the bottom and come in 3 different heights, available for all years.
 Occasionally their edge sanding is not perfectly smooth.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 09 Versys /16 GT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2020, 01:52 PM »
I picked up a secondhand  D4105ST for £30, just about perfect, it means I can ride at motorway speeds with my visor up in the rain, although I can see clearly over the screen, I've also added one of those "Car Anti Water Mist Film Anti Fog Rainproof Rearview Mirror Clear vision" things; it gives a clear "porthole" effect at the top of the screen.
Mark.