Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 1st ride of 2020 - Death Valley  (Read 5951 times)

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Mk3 Versys650 GT
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
Re: 1st ride of 2020 - Death Valley
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2020, 01:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

...... but yes, Shandy, particularly on long haul squared off tires become a fact of life. Modern multi compound tires are much better at keeping their shape but even they square off after days of riding in a straightish line, more so in hot weather.

Worth it 'tho for the incredible landscapes, huge skies and extremes of weather, not to mention the sense of space.

Rob.

I was only taking the mick really, but yes I can imagine!

The scenery and sense of pure nothingness must be incredibly addictive, and I agree would certainly be worth the price of a few tyres.

It's easy to see why Harley's are built and styled the way they are, perfect foe that sort of road (not that the little V is a bad choice, far from it)

Visiting the states has never really appealed to me, but I did ask the wife if she wanted to spend our honeymoon travelling along Route 66 on a Goldwing... :biker3:

...you can probably guess what she said  :125: but we did go to Italy, watched the MotoGP and visited Rossi's hometown (which is where my profile picture is taken)  :37:

I'd definitely like to experience it one day though!

FYI I've done 5k now and the OEM tyres on my little V are definitely squared now! I think tyre wear is a problem we share across both sides of the pond! Unfortunately a good chunk of my commute is on the motorway, which doesn't help.
I agree dual compound tyres will help, I plan to get Michelin PR4's next and expect to get twice the mileage out of them nearly.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2020, 01:23 PM by Shandy »
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2020, 02:02 PM »

Tavullia  :exclamation: :exclamation:

Been there (although not by bike), got the cap.  :002: :002: .

No matter what part of the political/social spectrum one is, the western States is so large and population density so low that one can spend weeks of unforgettably incredible holiday time without it ever turning unpleasant.
 Ordinary Americans can be, and often are, more outgoing, friendly and helpful than people from many other countries, including Canada. They get a bad rap for their negative excesses, but most don't fall into that category.

The worst thing about holidaying in the States is it's expensive $ and the difficulty of getting a good cup of coffee in rural areas  :sick:.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Mk3 Versys650 GT
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2020, 03:16 PM »
Yep, Tavullia, got the cap, T-Shirt, poster and membership card LOL! We even sat and watched free practice over a pint in Rossi's bar!

Only mistake we made was going during the Mugello MotoGP, (which is close to Tavullia and the official Italian GP) and wondering why things we're so quiet. Apparently it's the San Marino GP that things really kick off there  :138:

Still, we had a great time and spent the week in Florence.

I've no doubt the American people are pleasant in general, just like always it's usually the few (or a president  :015: ) that give the rest a bad name.

It's just the usual holiday places in America that don't interest me like NYC or LA. I know each is different but Living in London, I always just figured that another big city wasn't really a holiday. I much preferred the idea of visiting Canada, in particular exploring some of the smaller towns by motorcycle. I've never been off road but I'd like to even try a few gravel tracks with a light adventure bike.

As I get older, I'm starting to appreciate the alternative side of the states and there's a few places that I like the idea of visiting now. In particular New Orleans, just for the history and how they we're pretty much abandoned to their fate by the government. Moreover I'd like to experience the music and culture.
Route 66 and similar excursions would also appeal to me now and I get the appeal of the vast openness, whereas I might not have before.
I'd really like to see a proper NASCAR race in all it's madness as well!

My first ever visit to the US will be later this year, but unfortunately it's not one of my ideal locations... We're going to DISNEYLAND  :157: :157: :157:

Not a motorcycle or even another biker in sight for two weeks! :125:
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2020, 03:31 PM by Shandy »
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2020, 05:30 PM »

Well ...... there are rides at Disneyland I expect.

You must be a very accommodating guy. I see the Pearly Gates and a  :31: in your (distant) future.
 Hell for me. It's been frequently suggested  :whistle: .

Rob.

Offline Bart

• Versys God
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2020, 05:54 PM »
Shandy, if you want to try some gravel tracks it sounds like you need to do the Trans America Trail (TAT), I can thoroughly recommend it. It starts in the east with easy trails and gets a bit harder the further west you go.

You can buy the maps from this guy...on the right.

The scenery is epic

RD250, XJ600, VFR750, CBR900, Hornet 600, RD400, RD350 YPVS, CBR600 Sport, DRZ400, DR650, XT660R, BMW R1100RS, Versys 650, CBR1000RR, Versys 650, AdvVersys 650, CB1300S, VF1000, MkII V1k, XT1200ZE, Vstrom 650

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2020, 06:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
My first ever visit to the US will be later this year, but unfortunately it's not one of my ideal locations... We're going to DISNEYLAND  :157: :157: :157:

Not a motorcycle or even another biker in sight for two weeks! :125:

DisneyLAND or DisneyWORLD?   The former is in Anaheim, CA the latter in Orlando FL.  Makes a huge difference.  If it's Disneyworld, my condolences.  You are a martyr, a saint, etc. etc.  Orlando is in the middle of the peninsula, not even that close to the beach where you could escape to...   :138:

If it is indeed Disneyland, you are right there at the base of the San Bernardino, Cleavland mountains and the Anza Borrego desert.  That means you are a short rental away from motorcycling bliss.  Once you get out of that hell-hole that is Orange County, you might as well have died and arrived at the pearly gates...    :biker1: :biker1:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2020, 06:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bart [+]
Shandy, if you want to try some gravel tracks it sounds like you need to do the Trans America Trail (TAT), I can thoroughly recommend it. It starts in the east with easy trails and gets a bit harder the further west you go.

You can buy the maps from this guy...on the right.

The scenery is epic

The TAT or any of the now commonly available Backroad Discovery Routes (BDRs) that have been mapped and become available on maps or GPS tracks would be fantastic rides.  But I suspect that for many of those in western states, you need either real off-road skills (if riding a larger adventure-tourer or a small and light(ish) dual-sport to make it a reasonable ride.  I am also not sure I would ride those solo on a larger bike.  Heck, I am getting to the point where I am not sure it's a good idea on a smaller one either.  If you get in trouble, there could be no one coming by for days to lend a hand.  A SPOT tracker or similar would be a must have. 

Regardless, most likely neither can't be done on most rentals, just based on contract and insurance limitations.  IIRC, TM's Tiger was explicitly limited to paved roads when he came to ride the IVM in Cody, WY a couple of years ago.  You'd have to rent from someone specifically renting adventure bikes for off-roading.

Gustavo
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2020, 06:36 PM by Gustavo »
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2020, 08:31 PM »

Bart, do you have a write up of your TAT trip anywhere?

Jenny Morgan did an extensive write up/blog of her TAT trip on a CB500X a few years ago,

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1061450

Rob.

Offline Bart

• Versys God
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2020, 12:23 AM »
Afraid not Rob, lots of photo's though. It was a time when I did not do forums much and certainly not a RR.

Yes, have read Jomo's reports...excellent, the little CB looks great to me. In fact I've just organised a week in Gran Canaria for next month and will have a CB500X for three days and a T7 for three days. It looks even more twisty than Tenerife. Check out teapotone's vid.

My TAT trip was much more sedate than Jomo's as I did not know what I was doing really. The bike had virtually no "protection" and I only carried the bikes tool kit, a leatherman, puncture repair kit(but no tube  :5:) , a emergency strobe(from my sea Kayak) and a mobile phone...no GPS or Spot Tracker etc
Sometimes ignorance can be bliss...but did not see or eat any deer so all ended well  :031:

(the bike in the photo's came with mirror extenders on, which I now have on the Super Tenere as a momento)

Apologies for the hijack Gus.
RD250, XJ600, VFR750, CBR900, Hornet 600, RD400, RD350 YPVS, CBR600 Sport, DRZ400, DR650, XT660R, BMW R1100RS, Versys 650, CBR1000RR, Versys 650, AdvVersys 650, CB1300S, VF1000, MkII V1k, XT1200ZE, Vstrom 650

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2020, 02:47 AM »

Thanks for that Bart  :028: .

Not much of a hijack 'tho. Don't be giving Gustavo notions  :008: .

Rob.