Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 2012 Verys 650 and Cross Winds  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Creasey

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2012 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Dublin
2012 Verys 650 and Cross Winds
« on: Jan 12, 2020, 11:39 PM »
Greetings all,

Just curious about the issue of cross winds on the V650. On way home from work the other day and it was not very windy but occasionally gusty. So it would be almost no wind at all, so no need to lean in to the wind, and then random strong cross winds. Whenever I got a gusty cross wind, in this case from left to right, it would catch the front wheel mostly (It would feel like that) and drag it a few inches to the right, this happened before and is not very pleasant. I'm just curious if other Versys 650 owners feel it like this, or indeed Versys 1000 owners. I'm 6 feet tall and in these conditions I don't feel the force of the wind on my body so much, nor on the main bulk of the bike, but more on the front wheel, maybe that's normal to feel it here. I'm a relative newbie btw! The first time it happened was on motorway, at around 70mph, it felt like the front wheel had been lifted clear of the road and placed 6 inches to the side! Not nice. It's obviously worse when you are leant over for a curve. It's not something I deal with often so I may need more time to get used to it.

Some questions:
Is this common on Verys 650, any and all years, or even Versys1000's.
Does the weight of the bike have much to do with it considering the 650 is a heavy enough bike?
Is it the upright riding position that contributes to it?
Would a GSXR 750 for example following a V650 have a similar experience? (Lighter bike but larger broad fairings, slightly lower bike and rider, rider position more aerodynamic but we are talking cross winds)
What bikes deal with this very well or very badly?

Thanks in advance,
Creasey

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
Re: 2012 Verys 650 and Cross Winds
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2020, 02:35 AM »
While side area, chassis design and setup have a large influence on what happens when you get hit by crosswinds, it's actually not the biggest influence on how the bike behaves. The biggest issue in crosswinds is the rider.  People forget that when their upper body moves it invariably impacts what happens at the handlebar.  When the rider moves, the hands move too and there is an unintended input to the handlebar. The bike reacts, the rider corrects, another gust hits, the the cycle starts over.  It makes for a uneven and nervous ride.

Do you have a throttle lock?  Try setting a fixed throttle opening and keeping a very light grip on the bars.  If you don't have a throttle lock, try holding the throttle very lightly.  Make sure you grip the tank with your knees to make up for that lower upper body support.  Let the bike lean into the wind.  The bike will move a lot less, maybe even not at all.  This is very similar to off-road rding technique for the same reasons.  You want to minimize unintended inputs to the bars.

Gustavo
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2020, 02:46 AM by Gustavo »
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2020, 02:42 AM »

Good points from Gustavo.  Someone i ride with frequently often has problems with cross winds for the reasons he outlines.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2020, 07:15 AM »
Listen to Gustavo

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2020, 12:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Maverick [+]
Listen to Gustavo

:89:

LESSON FOR LIFE REALLY, NOT JUST THIS SUBJECT, BUT FOR ALL TIME!!  :028: :2:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2020, 12:46 PM »
Stick a Knee out , counteracts the wind.

Nearly all bikes bar the FJ's were dragged about by the wind somewhat, the versys being reasonably tall does suffer a bit more but not much. Gus is right, light touch on the baars but not so light you get blown off backward  :015:
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline mac one

• Versys God
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2020, 04:09 PM »
You are right about the FJs clunkyboy , the wind never affected mine because it's weight was about 10 ton.

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2020, 05:00 PM »
Yeah my ZRX1200 isn't as affected by the side gusts as the Versys.

Offline bgp

• Versys God
  • Bike: Black 07 Versys
  • City / Town: Zagreb
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2020, 05:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Maverick [+]
Yeah my ZRX1200 isn't as affected by the side gusts as the Versys.

Same here.
Bikes: Original 2007 Versys and 2003 ZRX1200S

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2020, 05:38 PM »
I had a Moto-Guzzi V9 Bobber which was in my opinion straight out flawed and dangerous design. The steering was unstable, a crosswind hit the front wheel specifically and turned the handlebars, not just push the whole bike. This inherent design flaw caused upper back and shoulder strain, because the subconscious mind was never able to relax and ease off steering. After that, every bike seems super stable and immune to crosswind, but I can say that both my Ducati Scrambler and Versys 650 feel super stable, plus Versys feels like a train on rails. I never feel any wind from any direction has any effect on these bikes whatsoever. The Versys has height and side area, but that is equaled out by the fact that you have a huge leverage, minute steering inputs cause massive forces to fight against the wind, compared to small and low bikes. Plus the Versys 650 is superbly balanced, I don't know how have they done it but sometimes it feels as there is a massive gyro wheel in the bike holding it straight and up.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2020, 05:40 PM by jkristjan »