Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Quadlock phone mount  (Read 408 times)

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
Quadlock phone mount
« on: Jan 13, 2020, 02:02 PM »
Quadlock is a protective phone case which fits securely on a mount on a motorbike. There are also mounts available for other devices. Iíve had one on my bike for the last year using it for navigation in the UK and for two European tours (which I must get around to writing up), so I thought I would write a quick review.

Quadlock is in two parts, you buy a case for you phone and a mount (or mounts) for whatever you wish to put it on. Having looked at one on a friends bike (I trust her judgement absolutely, so didnít even need to ask her opinion) when I looked at the bike mount on the quadlock site the picture it shows is a Versys - so no worries about it fitting.

The Case

The case doesnít add much bulk to the phone and has turned out to offer very good protection - Iíve dropped mine several times onto hard surfaces with no damage. On my phone (a Galaxy S8) the sides of the case do not come up to the level of the screen, but it rises up on the corners so that the top and bottom are about 2mm higher than the screen.

The phone buttons are replicated on the outside of the case, and on the bottom of mine there are cutouts for the 3.5mm jack, USB C socket, microphone and on the top a small hole to allow the noise cancelling mic to work.

Wireless charging and contactless payment work with the phone in the case.

In the centre of the back of the case you can see where the case mounts (thatís a hair in the picture not a scratch).

The Mount

The bike mount comes with three different size rubber sleeves to allow it to fit onto a range of bar sizes.

All of the visible parts of the mount are made of plastic, but it appears to be appropriate for the job - my phone doesnít vibrate when the bike is moving. Itís held together and onto the bike with 4mm (I think) allen screws, the places where the screws go into have threaded metal inserts. All the screws come with threadlock on them. It comes with an allen key to save you going into you toolbox - but itís a throwaway item.

The mating faces of each piece have spiky teeth on them which allow a reasonable choice of positions (rotation) but lock together securely when they are done up.

I didnít put mine in the same position as on the quadlock site as that would have blocked the instrument display slightly,

When I bought mine it didnít have the two spacers that I have on the bottom of the mount (they werenít available at the time), but in the position that I have it, it worked well, the charging cable didnít touch the tank and the phone would still go on and come off easily even though I had a GPS mount on the bar clamp.

When I saw that the spacers were available I fitted them and it improves things, giving a bit more space between the cable and the tank.

The spacers come as a pair (theyíre 10mm deep) with a pair of longer screws, one 10mm longer the other 20mm. You can use one or both, put them at the top or the bottom or one on each end. Iíve put them both at one end because otherwise I would have to use the 20mm longer screw at the top and I think it would stick out a little (but that wouldnít cause any practical issues).

To mount the phone you put it at 45 degrees so that the ďteethĒ in the case are over the blue tabs, push it down and rotate it. The blue tab is sprung and comes back up and blocks the cutouts in the case to stop the phone rotating and releasing.

To take the phone off, press the blue tab down, rotate the phone 45 degrees and off it comes.

Pretty simple and easy.

There is one other accessory that I bought - the ďPonchoĒ. This is a clear plastic cover that goes over the screen, sides, top and bottom of the case to waterproof it and still allow the touchscreen to work. Although Iíve taken it on tours, in practice Iíve found that the phone is well enough shielded by the fairing that I havenít needed to use it.

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
Re: Quadlock phone mount
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2020, 05:02 PM »
what happens when it rains ?
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2020, 05:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]

I for one bought a waterproof phone for the very reason that I would not want to mess around with all sorts of condoms and zippers while riding. But another thing to consider is that on the V, phones can be mounted between the windscreen carriers, putting them both in field of view and mostly out of rain while riding.

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2020, 05:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]

Where I've got it mounted, as long as I'm moving at a reasonable speed then it stays pretty dry - it's in an area that is protected by the screen, so unless I'm going slowly it seems to stay dry.

My phone is IP68 rated, so I'm not too concerned about it getting wet - but it's never had more than a light coating of drops when on the bike.