Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Puncture repair kits?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
Re: Puncture repair kits?
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2020, 11:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by jkristjan [+]
True, but strictly speaking you should use angled valves only when you do dynamic wheel balancing and are able to choose where to clue the weights laterally. I don't have the weight numbers and calculations so it may be minute amount, but even a few grams becomes a huge centrifugal force when the wheel is spinning fast. This may not be too important considering that the Versys is not an awfully fast and sporty bike but I know for those track monsters doing 300km/h the wheel balance is quite important.

I think you mean centripetal force... :188:

Online jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2020, 06:53 AM »
True. As you can see, I also wrote "clue" instead of "glue". It's not even that I don't know proper English, but I think when typing out things in a hurry and late at night, I am more likely to make mistakes than a native speaker.

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Bike bereft
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2020, 06:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by jkristjan [+]
True. As you can see, I also wrote "clue" instead of "glue". It's not even that I don't know proper English, but I think when typing out things in a hurry and late at night, I am more likely to make mistakes than a native speaker.

I wouldn't worry about that.
Even us native speakers come up with some shocking mistakes.

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2020, 07:37 AM »
I'm not a native speaker either. I was merely being cantankerous, or a pedant, depending on your humour.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 06:41 PM »
I used to love the Stop-n-Go kits.  They work well on round, small, punctures.  Except when they are not quite round or that small...  Strings work better for that.  Yes, it takes a little more practice to get it right, but they offer better results in less-than-perfect conditions.  Since I can't be bothered to carry both types, strings it is.  Keep in mind that there are lots of self-vulcanizing kits out there, all probably just as good.  But, they don't stay sticky forever.  You need to check them periodically and replace the strings if they are getting dry or brittle (keeping them in a ziplock bag helps a little).  A friend just bought some replacements, I think it was 50 strings for less than $10 delivered.  Since that's a lot of strings (they won't last forever, so you only need so many at once) we split them between our riding buddies.  You can obviously buy them in smaller quantities if you are not the sharing kind...   :whistle:

Gustavo

Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 06:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Zipperhead [+]
I did wonder about lateral balance, and I've only ever been to about half that 300kph and still got my fillings. When I next get my bike out of the garage I must have a look to see where the balance weights are.

I wouldn't worry about it.  My R6 won't do 300km/h on my local track's front straight, but it will do 260.  And I have no issues at those speeds with tires I mounted and balanced statically in my garage.  If an angled valve stem creates balance issues, they don't show up until you are well past 260 km/h...   :211:

Gustavo

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 07:14 PM »
Gus

When did you last ride your track bike in anger  :notsure:
I cannot ever remember seeing a track report from yourself  :027:
Let alone some track day action pictures  :107:
Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now on HOLD until Sept 2020

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 07:46 PM »
I never ride my bike in anger.  It's a recipe for disaster.  Always ride calm and measured.  Especially when going 260 km/h.    :211:  Last year I only managed to go to 2 events I think, the third one in October was cancelled due to weather.  Yeah, not exactly a model of commitment to the sport, but my work schedule prevents me from doing any mid-week events, so I am left with the ones that take place on weekends and don't interfere with other plans (again, not very committed...   :015:).

As for pics, trackday operators frown upon my picture taking technique.  No idea why they mind me having a half open tankbag and a camera in my left hand while going around the track...    :whistle:

Actually, you haven't seen pictures of any rides in a long time.  Not that I haven't been on any, just no time to edit and do the write-ups, so I don't bother taking pics most of the time.  No pics, no incentive to post and write about the rides.  It's a vicious circle...    :138:

I did take the R6 for a spin a couple of weeks ago (yes, our shutdown does not preclude going for rides).  As usual, damn thing started right up (hadn't ridden it since September), and it's still trying to make me lose my license on every ride...    :008:    :biker1: :biker1:

Gustavo

Offline NIVersysOwner

• Versys Pro
  • Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
  • Bike: V 650 GT 2018
  • City / Town: The NORTH!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2020, 09:59 PM »
I use a spray in foam to repair punctures on the main tread of the tyre.

Auto Extreme 4x4 Tyre Fix
£8 from Home Bargains
Does up to 2.5cm rips
Spray in, inflate and ride at 15-20 mph (or run bike on paddock stand for 10 mins in first-idle)

(Yes I know the Versys isnít 4x4 but how cool would that be?)

One can (yes I used it today because the motorcycle gods told me off for enjoying my ride out) has so far done 7 m/tyres (not all mine) and still has enough for one more in it.

Better than the bike ones I thought as this is clearly meant for off-road vehicles and rugged trails, more than what the V will ever be put through.

Jay
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!
1st ever Strap-on award winner!!!
2019!!!