Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Greetings from the Netherlands  (Read 3977 times)

Offline Azrael

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2008 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Leiden
Re: Greetings from the Netherlands
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2020, 10:20 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome people!
Over the weekend I changed the spark plugs, air filter, oil and filter and I adjusted the valves, chain, side-stand and the pedals and handles.

Today I took her for the first legal drive and she handles great, going from a naked bike to this one is such a bizarre experience on the freeway. I did notice however that both the front and rear brakes are very squishy, I bled some air from both the front and back at a mates but it didn't really improve the experience.
The front brake doesn't really start braking until I pull the handle 40% in, after that it goes from nothing to just about locking the front wheel in the next 20%. It really feels like air so I'll just change the brake fluid tomorrow and leave it overnight with a clamp holding the brake handle all the way in. That usually does the trick.
The rear brake feels like it does something but if I take my hand off the front brake I notice it's not really been slowing me down even though the paddle gives me quite some resistance.

I'm not really liking the sound of the exhaust, It may just be some getting used to coming from the learning bike but it sounds like the higher it revs the more noticeable the tweet sound becomes and ruins the experience.
Anyone got any tips on this? I wouldn't mind installing a different muffler but I don't want to immediately have an obnoxiously loud bike.
It also kinda sounds like a one cilinder even though there's two, that's the main problem I'm having with the exhaust sound, I don't suppose there's a muffler or even a different header that can fix this and make it sound more like a four cilinder?

Thanks in advance for any advice :D

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2020, 05:55 AM »
Hello mate, from your description, the rear brake sounds normal but the front brake is definitely NOT.😧 Be careful!!!!
Canít help you with the exhaust .
I'm sorry, really bad reception here, you said your name was Dr. who?

Offline McVicar

• Versys Pro
  • Berrow, Somerset
  • Bike: 2018 GT
  • City / Town: Berrow, Somerset
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2020, 10:08 AM »
Welcome Roland. Nice bike. Same colour as my first Versys.
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2020, 10:08 AM by McVicar »

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2020, 11:46 AM »
Hi and Welcome  :123A:

The rear brake on the Mk1 and Mk2 Versys 650 was not very effective due to the small rear dia of the disc ~200mm. The Mk3 was improved by K changing the rear disc to a 250mm unit  :028:

The front brake on the 2007 / 2008 Mk1 V650 is not good as well
On these bikes it was a squarish shaped master cylinder

but K changed the front master to a more curved top design on the 2009 Mk1 V650 and Mk2's

which improved the braking feel and power  :7:

If you want to, you can swap out the 2007/8 design and replace it with the later type master cylinder, which was also used on many ER6 and later kawasaki 650 models  :028:

Additionally the brake lines for you 2008 model should have been changed or will need changing by now - suggest you get a set of HEL brake lines  :028:

hope this helps  :001:

Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now on HOLD until Sept 2020