Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Institute Of Advanced Motoring  (Read 2397 times)

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Member
  • Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
  • Bike: 09 MK1 V650 ABS
  • City / Town: Cardigan
Re: Institute Of Advanced Motoring
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2020, 07:13 PM »
Theres some  great nuggets in there and some sound advice, thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.
I will get in touch with  at ROSPA, who sound more up my street.
Since then I have booked a taster day on Friday with IAM. And as I am told photos are the rule round this neck of the woods, I will try and get one of the observer on his bike to see how many of Beans "bald boring bearded men riding BMW motorcycles who are insufferably smug. " we can tick off. Classic!
Man I reciognise it, and could have gone that way myself with my gateway bike F750 GS.... Dakar! Which WAS a trusty steed on the forestry tracks in Scotland,  but a mid life crisis saved me from that fate, and my V has reminded me of the sheer crazy thrill of it all. :celebrate:   
Sometimes it takes a winding road to get your head straight.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2020, 08:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by klekid [+]
With the IAM there is also an additional cost of a suggested £10 to pay for the observers fuel. Normally takes about 10 rides so another £100ish to add on.

I've no idea what ROSPA guys ask for if anything but would be useful if someone can clear that one up.

John

RoSPA is the same.

Our group say £15 per observed ride, but that's on a one to one basis. About 50% of my rides have been two riders to one instructor, and in that scenario, the custom is to offer £10 each.

It all depends on the instructor though, no one will ask for more unless it's a specially arrangement between a specific rider and instructor. Some ask for less, my regular instructor only asks for £5.

Either way, it's just about showing your appreciation for the instructors time, no one gets paid on a local group level (don't know about the upper rings of RoSPA) and the instructor receives no other contribution from the club for their fuel or time.

It can seem a bit steep at first, but I don't know of somewhere else you can get a couple of hours one to one tuition for £15.  :027:

The group organised training days are not the only way of getting tuition either, once you've been to a few, you can ask to be matched with an instructor who will then arrange times mutually beneficial to you both and organise your own training program.
I do this, because of my shift work, and can rarely make the regular meets.

Whichever route you choose, extra training is a good idea, and I hope you enjoy it too!

Remember, if you don't get on with one group, don't get disheartened, you can always try out another.

look forward to reading how you get on  :028:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Member
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2020, 05:34 PM »
So I did my first free assessment today for IAM, it was postponed from last week as storm Dennis was breathing down our necks.
Doing the first one free also gives £20 off membership.
Here is a picture of my instructor.

Who only fitted 2 of the list from beans, highlighted in bold;  "bald boring bearded men riding BMW motorcycles who are insufferably smug. "
He was a real gent who voluntarily gave up a few hours to help someone else ride more safely and would not accept payment or fuel money, but did let me buy him a cup of tea both ends of the ride and a bacon roll. He has 17 bikes, none of them a BMW, one a VFR 1000 TT replica, and another a BSA Goldstar that he has raced.
We had a good ride which included some of the coast road being buffeted by gusts of 50+mph coming straight off the sea.
I had no trouble with taking direction signals from looking in my mirrors as it fitted well with general all round awareness and slowing down towards junctions.
At the end he pointed out 3 things that needed development: pre-ride checks, a rolling brake test and knowledge of IPSGA, which seemed a bit tight as they hadnt been mentioned at the start, and I had more or less applied them but without knowing thats what it was called. It was good to have the chance to talk through practicalities of checking tyres without getting paddock stands out every time you ride, and to remind myself to actually do it and not just jump on and go.
He picked up 3 things to practice: confidence into corners, gear selection in corners, and general smoothness. Which is a fair point and something I am aware of and working on. Its all tied together and partly due to not riding often enough especially this time of year, the sudden mud, sh#t, gravel and overflowing drains on the roads round here and the windy weather today.
Apart from that he was pleased with my riding and said it was well up to the standard to get a "first" on an IAM test with a bit of polishing.
Which ironically makes me feel like maybe I dont need to spend £130 (with the discount) to get a bit of paper that says that, especially if insurance benefits are uncertain......
Maybe I just need to ride more, and keep on honing my road craft.

Online Wassy

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650GT
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2020, 08:17 PM »
 Glad to hear you had a good time! Iím thinking of doing one later this year to accelerate my learning having only passed last August.

It never hurts to have some constructive feedback from an objective observer, we can always become a little biased when assessing ourselves 🙂

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2020, 07:42 AM »
Well done, you found one of the rare IAM instructors that are the exception to the rule  :008:

Glad you did well, and enjoyed the ride the ride.

Don't be too quick to dismiss the training, one mornings ride is never going to be enough to fully assess your riding, and a first taster ride he's only introducing the idea of advanced riding or "selling it" if you like so he's not going to be brutal with you.

Once fully invested and signed up, the real training will start. That's not to say your riding wasn't up there and probably very good, more that everyone has something to learn.  :028:

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Member
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2020, 04:44 PM »
Cheers Shandy,
I reckon you are right and on reflection am thinking similar.
It would keep good skills fresh and present in my mind, for example when I size up the overtake with a side road on the right...... or whenever. Making sure I keep on assessing my ride, and stay on the road of learning rather than into the ditches of cockiness..... £130 is cheaper than a crash!

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2020, 05:00 PM »
 :37:

Good stuff, mainly just enjoy it. I understand that the IAM are quite a sociable group in general too. So it might be nice just to go for a few more ride outs too.

I hate to tell you, but AdQual does not mean crash proof unfortunately...I can testify to that!  :22:

But a better, more confident and aware rider for sure!

Offline Beans

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: STOCKPORT
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2020, 04:15 PM »
I have a ride out booked with the head honcho from a different IAM local group, on Saturday. Let's see if he meets the criteria.
So far I'm certain that he's a bloke.
Will he be bearded,bellied,boring and balding on a BMW though? Have to say, I will be disappointed if none of the above