Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Chain noise ?????  (Read 349 times)

Offline eggsy64

• Versys Member
  • Living the dream so the wife says!!
  • Bike: Versys 650 KLE
  • City / Town: Torpoint
Chain noise ?????
« on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:06 PM »
The Versys still very new to me as in since Iíve had it Iíve not been out on it that often because off wether Being so wet. I have noticed a noise on my bike that sounds like the chain rubbing quite loud and obviously you can hear it more when say free wheeling up to a junction or stop. The chain doesnít seem too loose so is this just a Versys noise or is there something I need to be looking at ???
🦊🦊🦊

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Member
  • Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
  • Bike: 09 MK1 V650 ABS
  • City / Town: Cardigan
Re: Chain noise ?????
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:19 PM »
Apologies in advance for stating the obvious, but did you give it a lube before going out today?
With all that nasty salt on the roads to increase vehicle sales, a couple of weeks parked up is plenty of time for the chain to get plenty corroded.
I say this because it happened to me and was pretty noisy after parking the bike for serious family or drinking time over the Christmas & New year break.
Sometimes it takes a winding road to get your head straight.

Offline eggsy64

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2020, 12:20 PM »
I had that problem a few weeks ago took it to the garage and he said there wasnít enough lube so he did it for me and fine . I have lubed it but am I not putting enough on ?? Donít remember back in my youth having to lube them that much or is it becuase modern bikes need it more .
🦊🦊🦊

Offline Flying v2

• Versys Pro
  • Careful now
  • Bike: R nine t racer
  • City / Town: Hednesford
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2020, 12:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by runtothehills [+]
Apologies in advance for stating the obvious, but did you give it a lube before going out today?
With all that nasty salt on the roads to increase vehicle sales, a couple of weeks parked up is plenty of time for the chain to get plenty corroded.
I say this because it happened to me and was pretty noisy after parking the bike for serious family or drinking time over the Christmas & New year break.
Oh dear runtothehills we would appear to be sharing the same avatar. I'm actually ogri and that is my dog kickstart.
A great way of dealing with chain noise and associated issues including that "another 20bhp" that versys owners often ask is to buy a BMW f800gt like mine.
Only saying......  I'll get me coat.
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2020, 12:45 PM by Flying v2 »
I'm going out on my bike.

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2020, 01:57 PM »
Of all the bikes I have had over 45 years of riding I have found the Versys to be fussy with chain tension and lube. If you don't have an alignment tool get one they are cheap

Keep the tension at the recommended tension and check for uneven tension. The way I lube my chain is I get home from a ride so the chain is hot.
Put the bike on the paddock stand.
I put some cardboard down to prevent overspray.
Spray the inside of the chain until it is wet.
Go inside and get out of my bike gear and leave the bike for 10 - 15 mins or so.
Wipe the chain down with a rag to remove excess chain lube.
I do that around 500 - 600 km intervals, obviously more often if riding in the rain. And we don't have salted roads so maybe you need more often.
When the chain is visibly dirty or if I see sand or grime I clean it with chain cleaner and ride it for 20 - 30 mins before lubing.
Oh the alignment tool? I use that if the wheel comes off for tyres or any reason when I reinstall the wheel I check the alignment.

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Member
  • Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
  • Bike: 09 MK1 V650 ABS
  • City / Town: Cardigan
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2020, 02:47 PM »
Useful advice will change my lubing habits.
Will also change avatar as you had it first..... may have to stick with the kickstart theme though... hope you dont mind Ogri?
Sometimes it takes a winding road to get your head straight.

Offline Flying v2

• Versys Pro
  • Careful now
  • Bike: R nine t racer
  • City / Town: Hednesford
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2020, 06:05 PM »
Absolutely no problem at all you are obviously a man of good taste.  I have been a ogri fan since 76  and my dog Bailey the cavachon looks incredibly like kickstart...  sadly my Mrs doesn't look like mitzi!
I'm going out on my bike.

Offline eggsy64

• Versys Member
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2020, 06:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Maverick [+]
Of all the bikes I have had over 45 years of riding I have found the Versys to be fussy with chain tension and lube. If you don't have an alignment tool get one they are cheap

[img width
height=450]https://www.mxstore.com.au/assets/full/08-080048.jpg?1501503398?t=2020-02-15%2011%3A11%3A54[/img]

Keep the tension at the recommended tension and check for uneven tension. The way I lube my chain is I get home from a ride so the chain is hot.
Put the bike on the paddock stand.
I put some cardboard down to prevent overspray.
Spray the inside of the chain until it is wet.
Go inside and get out of my bike gear and leave the bike for 10 - 15 mins or so.
Wipe the chain down with a rag to remove excess chain lube.
I do that around 500 - 600 km intervals, obviously more often if riding in the rain. And we don't have salted roads so maybe you need more often.
When the chain is visibly dirty or if I see sand or grime I clean it with chain cleaner and ride it for 20 - 30 mins before lubing.
Oh the alignment tool? I use that if the wheel comes off for tyres or any reason when I reinstall the wheel I check the alignment.
Thanks will try all that
🦊🦊🦊

Online kevin..in

• Versys God
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: stoke
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Flying v2 [+]
Absolutely no problem at all you are obviously a man of good taste.  I have been a ogri fan since 76  and my dog Bailey the cavachon looks incredibly like kickstart...  sadly my Mrs doesn't look like mitzi!
my westie is obvs the real kickstart!!!