Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Heavy clutch pull.  (Read 454 times)

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 09 Versys /16 GT
  • City / Town: London
Heavy clutch pull.
« on: Feb 26, 2020, 02:05 AM »
Having two bikes to ride ( Mk1 & Mk3) has shown the clutch was significantly heavier on my Mk1, whilst it's been regularly lubed at service times; I bought a new cable and fitted it just to cover any issues in that area, and it made no difference, so I stripped the clutch, a little "bluing"on the steel plates and the friction plates although worn; were still within spec, re-assembled the unit and felt the same, so next is an order of new springs and friction plates.

the bike is on just over 35k (miles) and original clutch, was wondering if anyone has had the same issue ?
Mark.

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
Re: Heavy clutch pull.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2020, 09:02 AM »
The exploded view of the clutch system looks very similar in the MK1 and MK3 service manuals, but it is impossible to tell if the force lever is same on both ends. The lever on the engine case is a piece of stamped steel, it would suffice if they reviewed it and added some 3 to 5 millimeters somewhere and the clutch would feel lighter. But that aside, more probably it is the springs. If you were a maniac tinkerer and had nothing better to do, you could put your two bikes side by side, swap the springs and see if the feeling transfers from one bike to another.

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2020, 10:34 AM »
Mark

The routing of the clutch cable on the Mk1 especially round the headstock and down under the tank is a bit tortuous.  :023:

I achieved a better / smmother pull in my Mk1 by rerouting a new cable with a few loose cable ties and not restraining it in the metal clips around the headstock area  :028:
Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now on HOLD until Sept 2020

Offline nich

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2020, 04:17 PM »
Same as above - re-routing can help...I recall I just avoided putting it in the wire/frame hole it's meant for (around the headstock), since that seemed a little restrictive to me.

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2020, 06:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
Mark

The routing of the clutch cable on the Mk1 especially round the headstock and down under the tank is a bit tortuous.  :023:

I achieved a better / smmother pull in my Mk1 by rerouting a new cable with a few loose cable ties and not restraining it in the metal clips around the headstock area  :028:

i did that on my Mk1 and have now done it on my Mk 3....much smoother

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 09 Versys /16 GT
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2020, 10:48 PM »
I've re-routed the new clutch cable, got the new ebc springs & friction plates, will fit tomorrow, I'll report back once tested.
Mark.