Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Lucky?  (Read 473 times)

Offline Graeme

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versus 650 2018
  • City / Town: Chipping Sodbury
Lucky?
« on: Mar 07, 2020, 05:04 PM »
Lucky to escape a bad 'off' when I hit a rock in the road at 40mph 2 weeks ago. It appeared surrounded by rubble as the car in front of me passed over it. No chance to safely avoid it. Made a split second decision to aim for the middle in the hope of getting over it and staying straight and upright, which thankfully I did. Luck, experience, sheer stupidity, who knows... but I think if I had swerved into the surrounding mess I would have been off. No damage to me but ended up with a bent front wheel, broken mudguard and unsurprisingly, I have since learnt, bent forks. Perhaps a lesson for me about keeping more distance from the vehicle in front but also, my thanks to the #### who let that lot fall off their vehicle and left it there.

I gave a lot of thought to allowing the insurance guys to take it away or getting it to Bristol Kawasaki. In the end I took the 'easy' option and 4th Dimension came and carted it off to their place at Heathrow. Estimates etc done, work approved after a week. Now I have been told it will take 5 weeks for them to get the parts in and start work. Should have kept it local!

So now, instead of enjoying my daily commute I will be loathing every minute of the bus ride to work for the next few weeks. I guess I should count myself fortunate... It could have been very much worse.

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
Re: Lucky?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2020, 10:13 PM »
In response  to the title  yes but for the grace of god go we.

Never look at what you are gonna hit, look at the options, see it hit it,  look at options and they might look more difficult but worth a try 👍
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2020, 06:46 AM »
I had a similar experience but with the bottom weight of a traffic cone, the ring. It was on a bend in my chosen line but I was far enough back from the car in front to avoid it. The police removed it.
Good story, reminds me to keep that following gap. Worse on a commute because you think that you know all the hazards.
Hope that you get the bike back soon.
I'm sorry, really bad reception here, you said your name was Dr. who?

Offline fw750x

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650cc
  • City / Town: Belfast
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2020, 10:02 AM »
Almost had the Same happen to me a couple of weeks ago , In a line of Traffic in a 50 mph limit Just waiting for a gap in the outside lane to join it and the Car in front about 20 feet from me went over a Jocky Wheel from someones Trailer lying in the middle of the lane , I missed it But if i had been closer to the car in front i would have not had enough time to Avoid it . You never know when these things appear You just have to keep your eyes peeled !!

Offline Graeme

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versus 650 2018
  • City / Town: Chipping Sodbury
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2020, 08:08 PM »
Well, she's back and looking almost new... 3 weeks ahead of schedule when I was starting to wonder if I would see her at all this side of the pandemic. Hats off to 4th Dimension in the end. Great to be back on two wheels this morning, beautiful day for it and hardly any traffic... Couldn't be better.