Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Improvements from Mk1 versys650  (Read 395 times)

Offline davie150

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: `57 versys 650
  • City / Town: aberdeen
Improvements from Mk1 versys650
« on: Mar 24, 2020, 11:47 AM »
Hi, back on this forum again as I am considering getting a new bike and a Versys 650 is one of the choises that i am considering.

So what are the improvements from the 57 plate versys to the current version?

the cats eye looks of the headlights are a lot better than the one that I had imo, are the suspension, brakes improved.

I know I need to have a demo to find out, but that wont be possible for quite a while now, so just asking for your opinions.

I tried a cb500x last week and it was not bad, a wee bit underwhelming, but was intending to demo a versys and a v strom this week, but not now.
Mk1 Silver Versys

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: Improvements from Mk1 versys650
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2020, 12:04 PM »

Definitely demo and draw your own conclusions. I haven't ridden a Mk3 but reports are that both suspension and brakes are improved and the engine is somewhat smoother around that touchy 3000 rpm range.

While the differences between the Mk1 and 2 are mostly cosmetic, the Mk3 seems to be more of a breakaway from the pattern. Makes me think of a scaled down V1K. Not necessarily a bad thing but some, including myself, feel that it has probably lost some of the cheekiness, hooligan, aspects of the Mk1, that it's a more mature bike  :003:

Let us know your reactions when you get on one.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Online 78 Bravo

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2020, 02:18 PM »
It goes without saying that real men ride a mk3...

There were improvements in the engine vibration damping with rubber mounts.

Forks were upgraded I think.
Fairing and screen got bigger.

Gear indicator on GT
Aux lights on GT

But, indicators now fixed to fairing instead of frame increasing risk of damage if dropped.

I think it's the polar opposite of a hooligan bike. I can't speak for the mk1, but this is no superduke!
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2020, 02:19 PM by 78 Bravo »

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Bike bereft
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2020, 03:09 PM »
Real men ride a MK2 in Pearl Solar yellow.
I had to sell mine because I just got exhausted beating the ladies off.
The wife hated it when they stood in crowds around the house just waiting for me.

In all fairness it would probably be safe to have one at the moment but as soon as the restrictions are lifted it would be hell again.

Online Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2020, 05:12 PM »
ive just got a Mk 3 a couple of months back, compared to my 57 and 58 Mk1's its a bit disappointing, it is smoother around 3-4k rpm, but has unpleasant vibration elsewhere (around 5-6k), the engine feels a bit restricted, less free revving than the Mk1, and more juddery at low revs, its harder work to make it go well, suspension is plusher, but no better for sporty riding, brakes are definately better, stronger and more sensitive

obviously, these are my personal feelings, others may be happy with theirs, given the choice again i'd probably go for a late, low miles Mk2 and saved myself 2k, other than the brakes i'd not miss much about the Mk3 

Offline Len Grundy

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 650 Versys
  • City / Town: Turners Hill
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2020, 10:18 PM »
Davie,
I had a ride out on a CB500X and thought it wasn't bad, however I then got on a MK3 V and thought it was great but promptly fell off it. That was very embarrassing, taking the bike back to the garage with the broken clutch lever in my pocket. I then found a MK1 which had the suspension dropped, took it for a ride and fell in love with it. Went back the next day to buy it, had it three years now and still love it. I feel I would probably be happy with either of them but have only done limited mileage on the MK3. Been out in the sunshine today for some self isolation on the MK1 and had a great ride. Sorry to hear you haven't managed to get out and test so you can make a decision, but hope you can get a test drive in soon so you can make your final decision. Stay safe and take care, regards Len. :7:

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2020, 03:07 PM »
MK3 has:

Adjustable suspension rear (preload, remote adjuster) and front (SFF, preload and damping)
Larger, 21 liter fuel tank
Fully separate high and low beam headlights, both with H7 bulb, handy to carry a replacement and simple roadside replacement
Gear indicator from 2017 on
Updated engine mounts to reduce vibration
Euro4 and Euro5 variants, perhaps slightly affecting the feel of the engine and throttle
Updated brakes

It all depends on price and condition, the best bang for buck in this situation would be as old machine as possible in mint condition. But all things equal, I would take MK3 because of its subtle technical improvements. Nothing to avoid an MK1 or 2 for, but they have made small useful changes and not fucked anything up as they went.