Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Lockdown Tyres!  (Read 5233 times)

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
Re: Lockdown Tyres!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2020, 11:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by STOKIE [+]
Hi Shandy
                  With the year round riding that you do surprised you have not got a hugger fitted.

i have thought about it, first thing on my shopping list would be an Evotech Rad Guard.

Pyramid Plastics would have been my go-to for a hugger, but I've read on here that they are not that reliable for the V, and are prone to breaking so I decided against it.

in all honesty, I'm a PCP guy and like to live unattached (don't tell the Mrs  :4:) I've done all the mod stuff before and in reality it just results in a moderate outlay for myself, with little benefit. I rarely keep my bikes for long enough to reap the rewards so I decided not to on this one.

Next I'm liking the idea of a Z650 or Ninja 650, possibly even a Z900 if the price and timing is right. I eventually plan to work my way back up to the Ninja 1000 SX, as she's now known. Once I get there, I'll hope to vbe able to settle down with a nice example of one and start investing in a whole series of mods.

Having said that, I'm really enjoying the little V and might try to stretch out my time with her as long as possible! (I've got just under 10k miles left with her  :019: )

Great forum helps too!  :152:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Online NIVersysOwner

• Versys Pro
  • Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
  • Bike: V 650 GT 2018
  • City / Town: The NORTH!!!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2020, 11:31 PM »
10,000 miles to traitor town... :whistle:
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!
1st ever Strap-on award winner!!!
2019!!!

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2020, 11:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Galwayversys [+]
Nice tyres, they will look after you well!
Only niggle I found here is that it looks like the garage positioned the jack so that the exhaust is supporting the weight of the front of the bike. Probably not a huge amount of weight, since the Abba stand's pivot is very close, but still, not something I would have done, considering that very area is a weak spot in the Versys.
Splitting hairs here, but interested to hear if anyone else had noticed this.

P.S.: the picture is not 100% clear, so I am also open to the possibility that there is something I'm not seeing.

Thankds for pointing that out, I didn't know it was a weak spot.

to be fair the jack was added after, just to keep both wheels off the ground while they changed the tyres. Nomally one guy would be working on the bike and do one at a time, but because they we're esentially open just for emergency services. They we're really quietand I had two of them working on her at the same time, to help me get out in time for work.

I like the ABBA stand and I'm seriously considering investing in one, but my technical know how dosen't justify the investment  :138: I'd just use it for help cleaning the bike, ironically! Abba actually say that the stand needs to be used with thier height extender underneath, and special arm to keep both wheels off the ground. They obviously didn't have one and had to improvise.

I don't think there was much weight resting on the jack and certainly have,nt noticed any damage, but I'll have a better look, now I know, in the morning.

Thanks for the heads up!

https://abbastands.co.uk/checkout.asp

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2020, 11:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by NIVersysOwner [+]
10,000 miles to traitor town... :whistle:

:008:

Still Brand loyal though...

Unlike Most  :whistle:

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Bike bereft
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2020, 06:53 AM »
I love living in traitor town.
 The best residents are not brand loyal!

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #15 on: Mar 27, 2020, 02:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
I love living in traitor town.
 The best residents are not brand loyal!

LOL

In that case I'm also liking the look of the new Tracer 700, although initial reviews are mixed. And I'd secretly love a Speed triple or Tiger Sport again.

the MV Augusta Tourismo Veloce 800 is a beautiful looking thing and I think 800cc is probably perfect for the road.

I'd love to see an 800 or 750 Versys!  :38:

Online NIVersysOwner

• Versys Pro
  • Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
  • Bike: V 650 GT 2018
  • City / Town: The NORTH!!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 27, 2020, 03:16 AM »
This is me watching you type that Shandy...

Redeem yourself or Iíll be forced to change your mind for you... :008:
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!
1st ever Strap-on award winner!!!
2019!!!

Offline Shandy

• Versys Pro
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2020, 05:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by NIVersysOwner [+]
This is me watching you type that Shandy...

Redeem yourself or Iíll be forced to change your mind for you... :008:

Ok I take it back!!!  :5: :019:

:008: :008: :008:

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Bike bereft
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2020, 08:08 AM »
People.have been calling for a slightly larger displacement on the V for a long time now.

Yes the MV is gorgeous, but oh so expensive.

Online Galwayversys

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Few...
  • City / Town: Galway - Ireland
« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2020, 10:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
Thankds for pointing that out, I didn't know it was a weak spot.

to be fair the jack was added after, just to keep both wheels off the ground while they changed the tyres. Nomally one guy would be working on the bike and do one at a time, but because they we're esentially open just for emergency services. They we're really quietand I had two of them working on her at the same time, to help me get out in time for work.

I like the ABBA stand and I'm seriously considering investing in one, but my technical know how dosen't justify the investment  :138: I'd just use it for help cleaning the bike, ironically! Abba actually say that the stand needs to be used with thier height extender underneath, and special arm to keep both wheels off the ground. They obviously didn't have one and had to improvise.

I don't think there was much weight resting on the jack and certainly have,nt noticed any damage, but I'll have a better look, now I know, in the morning.

Thanks for the heads up!

https://abbastands.co.uk/checkout.asp

Yep, the exhaust headers on both my V and y ER6n needed welding there at some point, the break where the headers join the end can. It's a cheap and easy fix, but it's good to know about it.

As for the stand and the tech know how,  if you're that way inclined, I recommend getting the stand and a manual, and trying out some small jobs. Plenty of help here, and the V is a lovely bike to work on, most things are accessible and it's smartly put together (example, the hex bolts that hold the mudguard and fairings are a chunky size 5, instead of the shitty size 4s on my Ducati --> much harder to damage, easier to work on for noobs)