Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Chain and sprocket set - just checking as I'm a numpty  (Read 6060 times)

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: Chain and sprocket set - just checking as I'm a numpty
« Reply #40 on: Apr 03, 2020, 08:03 PM »

Although not widely discussed, shaft drives are not maintenance free, as BMW found to their cost and embarrassment some years ago when they neglected to provide some with lube drain plugs. "Lifetime fd lube" cost them a lot of grief.
 In addition to regular fluid changes shaft drives also require spline greasing and sometimes u joint replacement. If they do go wrong it takes skill and proper equipment to dismantle and repair them. Not cheap.

I'd rather mess with primitive chain drive than go back to shafts again on motorcycles.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #41 on: Apr 04, 2020, 04:55 PM »
10k miles sounds about right, I'd be satisfied with that for an OEM chain and sprockets

I always change chain and sprockets together, usually the chain that needs changing before sprocket, so just wait for the chain to get knackered and then change the set.

My go-to set up is DID gold chain (I like to clean a gold chain and look at my results) with JT sprockets. It's the chain that's the expensive bit so if I'm spending the money changing that, sprockets are pennies in comparison so why not?

Usually can find a better deal on chain if bought as set with sprockets too. I use M&P Direct in the past but I'd also consider Ghost bikes or SBS.

I haven't bought one for the V yet, but I suspect I soon will be, due to recent winter of neglect  :138:

A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Online Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #42 on: Apr 04, 2020, 06:04 PM »
each to their own, but i'd be gutted with 10k on a chain/set, 20k is realistically possible with reasonable maintenance  , the oem chain is usually EK, which is same quality as DID, oem sprockets are Sunstar, again, a high quality Japanese brand, better than JT, my oem rear lasted 39k miles and was still not worn out, fronts i usually change at 10k mls as they start to hook, my MK1 didnt have an adjustment until 9k mls, , but bearing in mind overall peace of mind and reliability i'd replace 2 fronts and 1 rear and the chain at 18-20k mls