Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Farkle expenditure  (Read 1552 times)

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
Farkle expenditure
« on: Apr 04, 2020, 09:01 PM »
I need a bit of coaxing...

Spending money on farkles is basically pointless, says my head.

Getting sparkles is fun, says my heart.

There can be very little argument from an economic perspective to justify the cost of farkles.

My bike can be worth no more than 5k by now and I could easily spend 10-15% of that on farkles, such as:
Braided brake lines
ASV levers
Footpeg lowering
New footpegs
Rad guard
New aux lights
Auto chain oiler

So what I'm getting at is: how do you decide on what's worthwhile and what isn't?

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
Re: Farkle expenditure
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2020, 10:34 PM »
Do you want it.
Will it make you happy.

If yes then it's worth it.

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2020, 10:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by 78 Bravo [+]
I need a bit of coaxing...

Spending money on farkles is basically pointless, says my head.

Getting sparkles is fun, says my heart.

There can be very little argument from an economic perspective to justify the cost of farkles.

My bike can be worth no more than 5k by now and I could easily spend 10-15% of that on farkles, such as:
Braided brake lines
ASV levers
Footpeg lowering
New footpegs
Rad guard
New aux lights
Auto chain oiler

So what I'm getting at is: how do you decide on what's worthwhile and what isn't?
Nah, there is no sense to it.

BUT wait a minute, it's what most of us do.

Consolation is that A. it makes us feel really good , and  B. If you sell the bike, you can remove everything you have fitted and sell them on here or e bay.

There ya go what's not to like  :question:

Plus, if you are a millionaire such as yourself what's a few hundred quid.
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2020, 10:36 PM »
The way I look at it is:

1, Will it make the bike more comfortable for me to ride? i.e. Lowering pegs and/or bar risers, reshaped seat, Replacement screen.
2. Will it make it easier for me to do things with the bike? i.e. Centre stand, extra lights to drive at night.
3. Will it make my life more comfortable with this accessory? i.e Sat-nag, top-box, heated grips, handguards.
4. Will it make the bike more pleasing to MY eye? Other accessories not mentioned above.
5. Can I afford it?    If it falls in 1 above , Yes - if it falls in 2 above, probably - if it falls in 3 above, Maybe - if it falls in 4 above, only if I can get away without SWMBO noticing for a while.

YMMV

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Master
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2020, 10:54 PM »
Thank you all for your input.

*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
Do you want it.
Will it make you happy.

If yes then it's worth it.

Yes, but possibly only in the short-term, before I start thinking perhaps I ought to have used it for something more sensible...

*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]

Plus, if you are a millionaire such as yourself what's a few hundred quid.

Even if I were a millionaire, my disposition would be the same - I can't help it. Like you said, it's only a few hundred quid, it's more a question of utility / justification rather than purely affordability. But you're right, what's not to like, especially if I do swap the bike I can always recoup some cost (I've been talking about swapping for years!)

*Originally Posted by Oldplodder [+]
The way I look at it is:
5. Can I afford it?    If it falls in 1 above , Yes - if it falls in 2 above, probably - if it falls in 3 above, Maybe - if it falls in 4 above, only if I can get away without SWMBO noticing for

Thank you for your analysis - that's very helpful too.

So, in the words of Cathy Newman, what you're saying is, that I should just buy and be happy!!

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2020, 10:57 PM by 78 Bravo »

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2020, 09:08 AM »
Do you intend to keep this bike?

If like me, your bikes are on PCP contract and you intend to swap it after 2/3 years than maybe not worth it. But as previously mentioned, you could always remove and sell on or re-fit to another bike.

If you do own the bike outright or on HP contract and you do intend to keep her for the foreseeable future, then why not? Screw the resale value, the true value is how much better the mods make the bike for YOU, the owner!!

Lowered pegs, new pegs etc... make a real difference to the seating position and the feel of the bike, so if you need them, go for it!

Presuming you've owned the bike from new, and you always intended to keep it, if you haven't got an Evotech Rad Guard by now...WHY NOT??? They are pretty much essential, so there's the justification for one of them!

Apart from that, only you can decide how important the other bits are. Brake lines improve performance and are satisfying to know you have them, as with levers. But do they really make a substantial difference for normal road use?? Don't know, the choice is yours.

The last thing is that, saving up for these things is part of the fun and adds to the excitement of eventually getting them. Everyone has a 'wish list' and very few actually get through their list, most add to it as they go!

My advice would be to fit what you can actually afford at the time and you think is most important, then save specifically for those other things. Even practice building up brownie points with her at home. So that way when the time comes when you can afford in both cash and permission slips, the achievement will be even sweeter!

This is also the reason most of us don't actually fulfill the majority of our wish list! The cost of a new full exhaust system, is insurmountable in marriage points  :008:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2020, 09:32 AM »
Sack off ASV levers and get Chinese copy ones, had them on both my V's for nearly 12 years, likewise aux lights off ebay, Rad guard could save you 300 if you hole it so i would say not so much a farkle as essential. lowering footpegs are that dear. All the above can be taken off and resold and not so expensive.

Braided lines are imo a perm farkle, quite expensive if abs bike as well so unless you really want them/need them  skip these and save a good few bob
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2020, 09:37 AM by Clunkyboy »
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Bike: MK1 V / F800GT
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2020, 01:41 PM »
It's a hobby. You don't need a reason as long as you can afford it. If it pleases you go for it man  :031:
I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2020, 01:45 PM »

Farkles tend to make the bike more difficult to work on. Bash plate has to come off to change the oil, hand guards get tin the way of cable lubing and so on. Come trade in time they are worth nothing.

I keep mine to a minimum. Priority is comfort, rideability, so raised seat, lower footpegs, bigger shield, heated clothing outlet are my must haves.
 After that, bike protection, crash bars, rad guard and the like.
 I avoid electronic add ons as much as possible. More to go wrong and confuse me  :2: .

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Master
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2020, 03:49 PM »
Shandy  Yeah i bought it new four years ago - I did take the HP as it was 0% but then paid it off early, so it is mine. But even then, while I'm exceedingly happy with the bike, I always have my eyes on something else - the grass is always greener in my life! I have now ordered the rad guard - I couldn't argue with your logic.

Which is why I have held off various things. The only things I've done so far has been a higher seat, crash bars, and extra stop lights into the topbox. And I've beem happy with those minor changes.

I agree with Rob re. access and reliability, it's why I tend to stick OEM with most things (and why, after four years I still haven't replaced the aux lights which I had to remoce to fit the touratech crash bars).

Clunky, I take your point about the ASVs. How do you find decent Chinese ones? Same about braided lines - i last had them on a zx6r, but that was pre ABS so undecided about benefit now. Although the manual specs a replacement of all brake lines at 4 years, which means it may be a good time to do them.

I just keep looking at used bikes which the money spent on farkles could go towards...
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2020, 03:50 PM by 78 Bravo »