Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Farkle expenditure  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
Re: Farkle expenditure
« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2020, 05:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by 78 Bravo [+]
Shandy  Yeah i bought it new four years ago - I did take the HP as it was 0% but then paid it off early, so it is mine. But even then, while I'm exceedingly happy with the bike, I always have my eyes on something else - the grass is always greener in my life! I have now ordered the rad guard - I couldn't argue with your logic.

Which is why I have held off various things. The only things I've done so far has been a higher seat, crash bars, and extra stop lights into the topbox. And I've beem happy with those minor changes.

I agree with Rob re. access and reliability, it's why I tend to stick OEM with most things (and why, after four years I still haven't replaced the aux lights which I had to remoce to fit the touratech crash bars).

Clunky, I take your point about the ASVs. How do you find decent Chinese ones? Same about braided lines - i last had them on a zx6r, but that was pre ABS so undecided about benefit now. Although the manual specs a replacement of all brake lines at 4 years, which means it may be a good time to do them.

I just keep looking at used bikes which the money spent on farkles could go towards...

:89:

Hi Bravo,

Yeah man, I get it. The grass is always greener! I'm exactly the same, which is partly why I do the PCP thing.

I suspect like you, I can't afford a garage full of bikes (as much as we'd all love to  :152:) so whatever bike I have has to be able to do it all, and take the abuse.

I'm now half way through my mileage quota and similar way through the time I want to spend with the bike (I rarely have them longer than two years, due to mileage mainly, but also some shroud financing) and i'm already struggling with what bike I'd like next!!  :138:  :008:
I'd like to stay brand loyal, so i'm thinking either Ninja 650, although I've read that it's more of a young mans bike or A2 licence. The Z650, which is the same but slightly better proportioned I think. And the Z900, which I love but I'm afraid for my liscene / helath if I have another faster bike.  :5:
I landed on the Versys after a painful and expensive lesson learned on a Z1000SX.  :22: :192: (still my favorite bike so far)

However, the new Yamaha MT07 / Traceer 700 looks nice and the MV Tourismo Veloce 800 could steal your heart ( and wallet). The Triumph Street Triple / Tiger 900 could always be s how stopper too.

You see my problem...... :lostit:

I'm glad you took the plunge with the rad guard, you won't regret it.

I haven't done anything with the V, I got the GT model so it came pretty much with everything needed and the dealer threw in Oxford heated grips. The only thing I have done is added the rear break lights into the top box too. How are you finding them?? Mine are broken already and  :125: annoying!

If I was keeping the V (It's a great bike, with plenty of real world speed, without being license shredding. Comfortable and very useable)
My list would be....
Frame sliders
Rad guard (irony I know)
mud flap / huger
font wheel mud guard extender thingy
Tinted short screen for summer
Tall touring screen for winter (although the OEM screen is actually quite good)
suspension set-up
New levers

The list for the SX would be even longer  :008:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Online kevin..in

• Versys God
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: stoke
« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2020, 05:54 PM »
Farkles!!!!
Farkles?
it's still .co.uk isn't it?

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 2020, 06:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by kevin..in [+]
Farkles!!!!
Farkles?
it's still .co.uk isn't it?

I hadn't realised that it was an Americanism, I most sincerely apologise for the transgression. What would you call it?

78B
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2020, 06:32 PM by 78 Bravo »

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Master
« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2020, 07:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
:89:

Hi Bravo,

Yeah man, I get it. The grass is always greener! I'm exactly the same, which is partly why I do the PCP thing.

I suspect like you, I can't afford a garage full of bikes (as much as we'd all love to  :152:) so whatever bike I have has to be able to do it all, and take the abuse.

I'm now half way through my mileage quota and similar way through the time I want to spend with the bike (I rarely have them longer than two years, due to mileage mainly, but also some shroud financing) and i'm already struggling with what bike I'd like next!!  :138:  :008:
I'd like to stay brand loyal, so i'm thinking either Ninja 650, although I've read that it's more of a young mans bike or A2 licence. The Z650, which is the same but slightly better proportioned I think. And the Z900, which I love but I'm afraid for my liscene / helath if I have another faster bike.  :5:
I landed on the Versys after a painful and expensive lesson learned on a Z1000SX.  :22: :192: (still my favorite bike so far)

However, the new Yamaha MT07 / Traceer 700 looks nice and the MV Tourismo Veloce 800 could steal your heart ( and wallet). The Triumph Street Triple / Tiger 900 could always be s how stopper too.

You see my problem...... :lostit:

I'm glad you took the plunge with the rad guard, you won't regret it.

I haven't done anything with the V, I got the GT model so it came pretty much with everything needed and the dealer threw in Oxford heated grips. The only thing I have done is added the rear break lights into the top box too. How are you finding them?? Mine are broken already and  :125: annoying!

If I was keeping the V (It's a great bike, with plenty of real world speed, without being license shredding. Comfortable and very useable)

No, I can't afford a garage full of bikes, but I have been think of adding a second one - either a bigish tourer (used - GTR1400, V1k, FJR) or something like a H2 SX on a PCP for three years and see how much I use it.

The versys is a perfect bike in many respects but I do a couple of longish trips a year and usually I find the constant up and down through the gears tiring on the first and last days (the longest ones), but it's great when I get there. And the reason I bought it was a) i don't like paying interest and b) I didn't want mileage restrictions. At the time I was commuting by bike, although I don't anymore, and so my bike no longer has to live outside all day, and probably, the mileage of a PCP would be tolerable.

The only problem I had with the givi brake light kit was that the contacts in the lid weren't always in the right position. A simple fix with some tape for me, although I don't really use the topbox anymore without commuting.

Either way, like you said, the bits I have are only for me - the crash bars have already served their purpose and saved me a small fortune probably, the heated grips someone here donated for free - I can't remember anymore who it was, but massive thank you!

The bike doesn't owe me much (other than say 4k of depreciation) which is why I'm thinking of keeping it long term and adding a second one. Swmbo prefers the idea of a bike swap rather than two bikes, but she's not totally against the idea, as I live very modestly for the most part.

Offline Galwayversys

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Few...
  • City / Town: Galway - Ireland
« Reply #14 on: Apr 05, 2020, 08:00 PM »
Hel usually have 40% off at Christmas, so I'd wait to get those braided lines and get the front and rear for the price of front only ;)

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Master
« Reply #15 on: Apr 05, 2020, 08:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Galwayversys [+]
Hel usually have 40% off at Christmas, so I'd wait to get those braided lines and get the front and rear for the price of front only ;)

That's a great idea. Thanks for the heads-up!

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #16 on: Apr 06, 2020, 01:15 AM »

I look at them in terms of how much of a tire they cost  :008: .

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Online kevin..in

• Versys God
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: stoke
« Reply #17 on: Apr 06, 2020, 06:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by 78 Bravo [+]
I hadn't realised that it was an Americanism, I most sincerely apologise for the transgression. What would you call it?

78B
Upgrades
Your insurance will call them modifications

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Master
« Reply #18 on: Apr 06, 2020, 09:41 AM »
Bennetts accepts many of those modifications that I listed without notification anyway, although crash bars have to be declared etc.

'Bennetts accept the following modifications as standard you do not need to tell us
about them:
disability adapted lights/indicators/mirrors
air filter changes scott oilers
bar ends screen changes
braided hoses seat replacement/changes
decals/stickers (unless race replica) seat cowl/single seat units
grippers sissy bars (long backrest)
heated grips tail tidy
huggers tank pads'

Most of those changes won't add much, if any, to the premium, but you're right, you have to be careful with these things that add ons are covered so you're not out of pocket in a claim, and any material information is declared.

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2020, 11:03 AM »
Braided brake lines - maybe. Brakes are important, but I plan on upgrading mine next year when the old lines will be 10 years old, therefore well past their sell by date.

ASV levers - meh! But do lube and adjust them correctly (as my recent experience shows)

Footpeg lowering - yep! 9 years, 40k miles of creaking knees and now I have to re-learn my gear change cos I've just fitted them to mine. Fit em early, get the most out of this useful upgrade.

New footpegs - meh!

Rad guard - good idea. When I stripped and cleaned my radiator last years it was almost 70% clogged with dirt. Anything to protect the rad has to be a good idea.

New aux lights - I bought some cheapo chinese LED's. They're still in the garage waiting for me to gather the courage to start messing with the pixies.

Auto chain oiler - yep! I fitted a Scottoiler touring to mine new, it blew a giblet after 5k miles and never worked reliably since. Stripped it off the bike last year (during my bike renewal project) and am now about to fit the simplest cheapest system I could find (Loobman).

Thoughts on early to late upgrades.
I spent a few years after paying off my bike playing around with the idea of a new bike. Can't have two bikes because of space, wife and kids so wasted several years actively looking, by which time I had passed the moment of best trade in value and moved into the I'll-never-get-my-money-back when it came to accessories.

So I simply chose to keep the bike until she pops. It was surprisingly liberating. I stopped counting my pennies, started getting stuff done because I knew I would get my money back in reliability and enjoyment. I started by 'bike renewal project' last year with some deep maintenance (booster plug, vacuum balance, stick coils, plugs, full service, full cooling system renewal, touch up rust, etc. etc. etc.). The effect was instant...the bike felt like new again, I reconnected with her and have since continued to freely maintain/upgrade her with gay abandon.

On average I never spend more than half the 150 a month it would cost me to get another mid size decent bike, and without any of the hassle or cost of getting that bike just right for me, whilst upgrading my spannering without fear of damaging her market value.

Just a thought for you to ponder as I recognise the pattern of behaviour.