Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Farkle expenditure  (Read 1811 times)

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: Farkle expenditure
« Reply #20 on: Apr 06, 2020, 11:26 AM »

" simplest cheapest system I could find (Loobman).

I bought one for each bike at one point. Installed one and could never get it to stop dumping its oil as temperature warmed up. Gave the other two away in disgust. Probably
operator error, but I did read the instructions and fiddled with it for a while.

The wire mounting thingy also did a # on the swing arm paint.
 Couldn't get no satisfaction  :2: .

Be interested to hear how you get along with yours, Jonnster.

Rob.

Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #21 on: Apr 06, 2020, 11:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

" simplest cheapest system I could find (Loobman).

I bought one for each bike at one point. Installed one and could never get it to stop dumping its oil as temperature warmed up. Gave the other two away in disgust. Probably
operator error, but I did read the instructions and fiddled with it for a while.

The wire mounting thingy also did a # on the swing arm paint.
 Couldn't get no satisfaction  :2: .

Be interested to hear how you get along with yours, Jonnster.

Rob.
Roger that.

Paint scuffing is irrelevant to me at this stage, so I'll focus on functionality.

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #22 on: Apr 06, 2020, 12:02 PM »
I did not get on with the loobman and binned mine also.

Online whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #23 on: Apr 06, 2020, 12:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
I did not get on with the loobman and binned mine also.
Or did you just ditch it.  :notsure:

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #24 on: Apr 06, 2020, 12:59 PM »
Ouch

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #25 on: Apr 06, 2020, 01:00 PM »
The main problem with most oilers (especially Scott oilers) is that the lube / oil can dry out / solidify up in the nozzles, if you don't use them for a while (say over the winter period)  :33:
Priming them / forcing the fluid down and out of the delivery tube and nozzle usually sorts this out  :028:
Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now on HOLD until Sept 2020

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #26 on: Apr 06, 2020, 01:07 PM »
Tried that several times Richard. Even took it off, flushed it, refitted the vacuum feeds and replaced the oil but to no avail. It just kept packing in, often during long runs (perversely when it was needed most).

Hence why I've gone for a much more simple system...so simple in fact that I understand how it works.

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #27 on: Apr 06, 2020, 01:45 PM »
Anyone tried the cobrra system?

https://www.cobrra.co.uk/

A colleague of mine speaks highly of it, and I was going to go down this route? More expensive than loobman, cheaper than scottoiler, runs on gear oil.

Offline Bart

• Versys God
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #28 on: Apr 06, 2020, 02:34 PM »
Re Scotoilers, I have a couple of normal ones and a touring version on another bike. The touring one is more difficult to set up as there is an extra set of pipes to keep air/oil tight but saying that they all work brilliantly. The touring one came with the old Vf1000 I bought a few years ago and have no idea how old it is but no issues so far.
As TM says the nozzle does need a clean now and again and setting up as per instructions. The old Blade has one which must be at least 15 years old and still works.
I find it useful to have the oiler easily accessible  so it can be turned up or down when wet or very hot. Some of the oilers have also been transferred to several different bikes over the years and the odd replacement part bought used of ebay.

I usually run the oiler with old engine oil in the winter, helps keep the back end corrosion free and gear oil in the summer.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2020, 02:37 PM by Bart »
RD250, XJ600, VFR750, CBR900, Hornet 600, RD400, RD350 YPVS, CBR600 Sport, DRZ400, DR650, XT660R, BMW R1100RS, Versys 650, CBR1000RR, Versys 650, AdvVersys 650, CB1300S, VF1000, MkII V1k, XT1200ZE, Vstrom 650

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #29 on: Apr 06, 2020, 03:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by jonnster71 [+]
Braided brake lines - maybe. Brakes are important, but I plan on upgrading mine next year when the old lines will be 10 years old, therefore well past their sell by date.

ASV levers - meh! But do lube and adjust them correctly (as my recent experience shows)

Footpeg lowering - yep! 9 years, 40k miles of creaking knees and now I have to re-learn my gear change cos I've just fitted them to mine. Fit em early, get the most out of this useful upgrade.

New footpegs - meh!

Rad guard - good idea. When I stripped and cleaned my radiator last years it was almost 70% clogged with dirt. Anything to protect the rad has to be a good idea.

New aux lights - I bought some cheapo chinese LED's. They're still in the garage waiting for me to gather the courage to start messing with the pixies.

Auto chain oiler - yep! I fitted a Scottoiler touring to mine new, it blew a giblet after 5k miles and never worked reliably since. Stripped it off the bike last year (during my bike renewal project) and am now about to fit the simplest cheapest system I could find (Loobman).

Thoughts on early to late upgrades.
I spent a few years after paying off my bike playing around with the idea of a new bike. Can't have two bikes because of space, wife and kids so wasted several years actively looking, by which time I had passed the moment of best trade in value and moved into the I'll-never-get-my-money-back when it came to accessories.

So I simply chose to keep the bike until she pops. It was surprisingly liberating. I stopped counting my pennies, started getting stuff done because I knew I would get my money back in reliability and enjoyment. I started by 'bike renewal project' last year with some deep maintenance (booster plug, vacuum balance, stick coils, plugs, full service, full cooling system renewal, touch up rust, etc. etc. etc.). The effect was instant...the bike felt like new again, I reconnected with her and have since continued to freely maintain/upgrade her with gay abandon.

On average I never spend more than half the 150 a month it would cost me to get another mid size decent bike, and without any of the hassle or cost of getting that bike just right for me, whilst upgrading my spannering without fear of damaging her market value.

Just a thought for you to ponder as I recognise the pattern of behaviour.

Your analysis of the pattern is acute. Very good.

Thanks for your input. I take your point re asv and footpegs - I'll see if I can do the levers and braided lines perhaps next year, and do the footpeg lowering sometime between now and then.

I think I could still get a reasonable trade-in for mine, but the primary reason I was thinking of a second bike is as I suspect that I will sorely miss the V. There are many other options but I have a feeling that the V is right for me at the moment. And a second bike can be got rid of and I still have the V which I've had from new and know every bit of history and have carried out the proper maintenance. In all probability, this V will keep going for 30 more years.

But I think for now, i'll do a couple bits which affect my enjoyment/ comfort and hold off those purely cosmetic ones and see how it goes.

There's truth in the fact that the V keeps me out of trouble. I am an experienced rider with lots of years, miles, and training, and no excuse at all to do silly things. But I can't always resist the temptation to give it the beans. I'm much better on a V.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2020, 03:23 PM by 78 Bravo »