Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Farkle expenditure  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Mr.bumblebee

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys mk2
  • City / Town: South Yorkshire
Re: Farkle expenditure
« Reply #30 on: Apr 06, 2020, 09:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by 78 Bravo [+]
Anyone tried the cobrra system?

Me and my mate both have a gidibi fitted to our versys. Exactly the same as the cobrra system but much cheaper approx 28 off ebay. Only had it on about 800 miles but seems to work a treat. 

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #31 on: Apr 06, 2020, 09:23 PM »
Thank you very much for that head's up. Think you've saved me 50 - which pays for the radiator guard. I'll give it a go - I doubt there's much difference in quality between this and the cobrra system.

The ones on eBay are even called the "nemo 2"... An excellent rip off!
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2020, 09:25 PM by 78 Bravo »

Offline Mr.bumblebee

• Versys Pro
« Reply #32 on: Apr 06, 2020, 10:01 PM »
Just to confirm it does say nemo 2 on the gidibi system same as the cobrra. Looks quite neat when fitted

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Master
« Reply #33 on: Apr 06, 2020, 10:16 PM »
I've bought one now - hopefully this means a little less faffing with the chain every time it gets dry on a long trip,  and gear oil is cheaper than aerosol lube too.

Wonder how long it will take to get here (from China) in the current climate.

Offline Mr.bumblebee

• Versys Pro
« Reply #34 on: Apr 06, 2020, 10:28 PM »
Since I've fitted mine I've not needed to clean the chain since, though i only ride in dry weather if possible . I just give the gidibi half a turn every 100 miles. It takes about 3 minutes for the oil to reach the rear sprocket.  You do get a bit of oil on the back of the number plate but at least you know it's working. Im sure you'll be happy with it

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Master
« Reply #35 on: Apr 06, 2020, 10:33 PM »
Yeah I've been thinking about some auto oiler for a long while. I'm sick of walking the bike up and down hotel carparks when on tour spraying oil everywhere while my shaft-drive pals are having drinks!

Thanks for the heads up!

Offline mac one

• Versys God
« Reply #36 on: Apr 06, 2020, 10:52 PM »
Wurth dry chain wax for me, had my fill with chain oilers , toooooooo messy.
With the chain wax being dry it hardly ever needs redone even after rain of washing.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #37 on: Apr 09, 2020, 11:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by 78 Bravo [+]
Your analysis of the pattern is acute. Very good.

Thanks for your input. I take your point re asv and footpegs - I'll see if I can do the levers and braided lines perhaps next year, and do the footpeg lowering sometime between now and then.

I think I could still get a reasonable trade-in for mine, but the primary reason I was thinking of a second bike is as I suspect that I will sorely miss the V. There are many other options but I have a feeling that the V is right for me at the moment. And a second bike can be got rid of and I still have the V which I've had from new and know every bit of history and have carried out the proper maintenance. In all probability, this V will keep going for 30 more years.

But I think for now, i'll do a couple bits which affect my enjoyment/ comfort and hold off those purely cosmetic ones and see how it goes.

There's truth in the fact that the V keeps me out of trouble. I am an experienced rider with lots of years, miles, and training, and no excuse at all to do silly things. But I can't always resist the temptation to give it the beans. I'm much better on a V.

I agree, the V is doing a great job of keeping me out of trouble!

I've traveled back to my old office for the first time today since writing-off my Sx on a commute home. i just can't imagine how i used to get away with riding the way I did on the SX, yet at the time it felt perfectly fine...until it wasn't!

i think the little V just brings everything back into perspective of whats acceptable or reasonable. There's no way I could pull the same lean angles or hold the same line now as I did on the old bike.

a guy I know recently let his old diversion 600 go, 2011 weathered, but well looked after mechanically. That would be my ideal choice for a second bike, a winter or everyday bike! one that you don't necessarily worry about keeping nice, just running, take up all the cold winter months or commuting miles and save the your 'real' bike for Sunday best as it were.

I really do like the V and as I've said it's doing me a good service. I will go for one more PCP after this one and then probably look at a Ninja100SX, second hand but that I can keep and really make my own!

Hopefully be able to think about a winter bike (probably not) but at that point I've got a vast wish list of modifications that I'll be doing (all aimed at making the bike better for the everyday, not faster) but they'll be for me. No regard for trade in value or anything like that, just purely upgrades for me and making he bike better for me, that will aid me in keeping her for longer. I.E the footpeg lowering kit is a must on the SX, legroom is improved on the new ninja, but i bet it's still crucial for long term living with!
Suspension is budget (like most K's) and there's a few really nice examples of custom made units from British manufactures that owners have installed on the SX forum. I'll be exploring the benefits of those, along with similar mods aimed at making her better or more appealing for me and me alone!  :7:

Never tried an auto oiler, so no comment there, but good luck if you do fit one.
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!