Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Mk 3 won't start first time  (Read 710 times)

Offline Beans

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: STOCKPORT
Mk 3 won't start first time
« on: Apr 16, 2020, 08:19 PM »
 I seem to have an intermittent issue where I turn the bike on ready to start it up, all the dash lights up as normal but upon pressing the starter apparently does nothing. Everything stays looking good on the dash. I can't hear a thing when this occurs. If I turn the key to off and back on again and then repeat, it fires up. I do think that whatever the issue is, while I can't hear anything, pressing the starter would appear to drain the battery.
Any ideas?

Offline Liamf

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Worthing
Re: Mk 3 won't start first time
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2020, 09:44 PM »
Mine does the same very occasionally.  First time of trying to start,  all dash lights and everything are normal but the long “whir” sound which i think is the fuel pump priming doesn’t happen, and it just spins when I press the starter button.  Switch it all off and second time it’s completely normal with the long “whir” sound and starts up fine.  I’ve not pinned down anything thing wrong, nor has my dealer who says there are no fault codes when it does it and there does not appear anything that triggers it.  Oddly though I did have a boosterplug fitted, which I have now removed as the dealer suggested that it may be contributing to the problem, and it hardly ever happens now.

Offline InverterMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 15 Versys
  • City / Town: Kitchener
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2020, 05:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Beans [+]
I seem to have an intermittent issue where I turn the bike on ready to start it up, all the dash lights up as normal but upon pressing the starter apparently does nothing. Everything stays looking good on the dash. I can't hear a thing when this occurs. If I turn the key to off and back on again and then repeat, it fires up. I do think that whatever the issue is, while I can't hear anything, pressing the starter would appear to drain the battery.
Any ideas?

What year and model? MK-3 possible problem, prior to MK-3 , it would help to know what year and model.

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2020, 06:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by InverterMan [+]
What year and model? MK-3 possible problem, prior to MK-3 , it would help to know what year and model.
IM

According to one of his 1st posts he has a 2018 Green MK3 650  :7:

I believe there have been a few issues with the contacts in the ignition switch of the latter Mk3's where contacts have not always been made properly when twisting the key -  :notsure: CMIIW  :028:
Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now on HOLD until Sept 2020

Offline InverterMan

• Versys Pro
« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2020, 12:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
IM

According to one of his 1st posts he has a 2018 Green MK3 650  :7:

I believe there have been a few issues with the contacts in the ignition switch of the latter Mk3's where contacts have not always been made properly when twisting the key -  :notsure: CMIIW  :028:
Yes I read that post again, pushing the start button and nothing, there is no circuit that interrupts the start circuit, except the engine stop switch and neutral switch. It has been know that a few people, two to be exact,, have had a problem with the engine stop switch, these people operated like in the old dirt bike days, since he mentions keying off, I would try putting in gear with the clutch pulled in , instead of keying off. This would prove the neutral switch is OK. I am aiming for a control circuit, the key switch carries more than 3 amp, 3 amp or more will blow away oxide formed on contacts, unless this is a stuck contact. Go to 16-52 , starter circuit, also check your frame grounds, particularly the one below the seat / tank support rail.

Offline Beans

• Versys Member
« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2020, 08:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by InverterMan [+]
...since he mentions keying off, I would try putting in gear with the clutch pulled in , instead of keying off. This would prove the neutral switch is OK.

Hello inverter man
Yes it's mk3, as per topic title
It happened again tonight, wouldn't start. I pulled in the clutch but didn't have it in gear, it started. Does this indicate anything or do I need to put in gear, is that bit significant?

Offline InverterMan

• Versys Pro
« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2020, 02:46 AM »
Hello inverter man
Yes it's mk3, as per topic title
It happened again tonight, wouldn't start. I pulled in the clutch but didn't have it in gear, it started. Does this indicate anything or do I need to put in gear, is that bit significant?
yes , wait until it does it again, but that is your neutral switch. So by pulling in the clutch , it bypasses the neutral switch . So what you are saying, everything seems normal but the starter wouldn't turn the motor over, pulling in the clutch it started ? what happened when you let the clutch out? Was the kickstand down or up? If up , next time it doesn't start, leave the key on , but put the stand down, pull clutch in and try, it shouldn't allow the starter to engage. Next put the stand up and clutch in, if it starts and stays running with the clutch out. You have a bad ground on the neutral switch.
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2020, 02:49 AM by InverterMan »

Offline Beans

• Versys Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 08:38 AM »
Thought I would follow this up, though likely it won't help anyone. This turned out to be due to:.....a spiders web/nest within the ignition switch 😲🤔
Mechanic said he has previously seen this in indicator switches. I have the feeling my bike was left standing for some time before I bought it

Offline InverterMan

• Versys Pro
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 03:24 PM »
Thought I would follow this up, though likely it won't help anyone. This turned out to be due to:.....a spiders web/nest within the ignition switch 😲🤔
Mechanic said he has previously seen this in indicator switches. I have the feeling my bike was left standing for some time before I bought it

A common courtesy and it always is appreciated . :028: :028: :028: