Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Greetings from Tasmania Australia  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
Re: Greetings from Tasmania Australia
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 02:21 AM »
Hey Windy,
Mid north coast of NSW here had my Versys for 8 years from new and just in the process of selling it. I have moved to the 1000 and loving it, that is not to say the 650 is inadequate or anything it has served me well over the 8 years and done some long trips. Mine is LAMS as well however on the Mk:2 (2010-2014) it is very easy to remove the restrictions and go full power. I have been riding almost 50 years so I didn't have to get the LAMS but they said it would be worth more when I sold it and that's what they had in stock at the time so that's what I bought.
My 2012 Versys when I bought it

2 months ago

New 1000 and friend who is buying the 650

Offline Windyhill

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 650L
  • City / Town: Richmond
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 04:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by Maverick [+]
Hey Windy,
Mid north coast of NSW here had my Versys for 8 years from new and just in the process of selling it. I have moved to the 1000 and loving it, that is not to say the 650 is inadequate or anything it has served me well over the 8 years and done some long trips. Mine is LAMS as well however on the Mk:2 (2010-2014) it is very easy to remove the restrictions and go full power. I have been riding almost 50 years so I didn't have to get the LAMS but they said it would be worth more when I sold it and that's what they had in stock at the time so that's what I bought.
My 2012 Versys when I bought it

2 months ago

New 1000 and friend who is buying the 650

Hi Maverick,

Great part of the world you live in. It sounds like you had a good run out of your 650. I was told the same that these 650L's are easy to sell and hold there price pretty well.

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 07:34 AM »
Welcome Windyhill,

Just want to point out that nobody has cracked a joke yet, so I thought I'd get things going.

Kiwi; How many Tasmanians does it take to put in a lightbulb?
Tasmanian; what's a lightbulb?

Sorry but this string was uncomfortably polite and sensible. Good luck with the test and the new bike, you'll love it...however you might want to stick some lowering pegs on it for your 6'7" frame.

:028:

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 01:28 PM »
The problem is that the lanky antipodean has actually contributed rather than giving us free rein to piss take.

And he is not French and I have seen how Australians treat people who are not nice to them and I don't want to get booted.

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 03:43 PM »
Welcome from the Great North East of England.  :028:

Offline Windyhill

• Versys Member
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 10:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by jonnster71 [+]
Welcome Windyhill,

Just want to point out that nobody has cracked a joke yet, so I thought I'd get things going.

Kiwi; How many Tasmanians does it take to put in a lightbulb?
Tasmanian; what's a lightbulb?

Sorry but this string was uncomfortably polite and sensible. Good luck with the test and the new bike, you'll love it...however you might want to stick some lowering pegs on it for your 6'7" frame.

:028:

We'll there you go, lowering pegs isn't something I had seen. Thanks mate I will have to look into them.

Always enjoy a bit of humor, like when the Poms sent a muppet like Gladstone Small to Australia and considered him a right arm fast - medium Lol..

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 10:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bike!   :biker1:

So how long doe sit take to get a license?

At your height, I would go with lowered pegs and a taller seat.  While they are raising the seat, make sure the flatten it too.  The stock seat is slopped towards the tank to make it easier for those short people to ride a Versys.  It makes you slide into the tank when you are braking or hit a bump.  It's annoying and can be painful too sometimes...   :22:

Speedy makes our favorite lowering blocks (not cheap, especially when you have to pay for international shipping too)
https://motowerk.com/collections/kawasaki-versys-v650lt/products/lowering-foot-peg-blocks-for-kawasaki-1

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Windyhill

• Versys Member
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 06:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bike!   :biker1:

So how long doe sit take to get a license?

At your height, I would go with lowered pegs and a taller seat.  While they are raising the seat, make sure the flatten it too.  The stock seat is slopped towards the tank to make it easier for those short people to ride a Versys.  It makes you slide into the tank when you are braking or hit a bump.  It's annoying and can be painful too sometimes...   :22:

Speedy makes our favorite lowering blocks (not cheap, especially when you have to pay for international shipping too)
https://motowerk.com/collections/kawasaki-versys-v650lt/products/lowering-foot-peg-blocks-for-kawasaki-1

Gustavo

Thanks Gustavo,

It takes a couple of years I think to get your full (unrestricted) licence here, give or take a tad.

Unfortunately because of the over represented amount of injuries / death in the country they have made it harder to get your bike licence.

It's good know about the raised seat, I will have to look into that.

How long have you had your 650 mate..?

Cheers 

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2020, 05:04 PM »
I bought that Classic Mk1 (it's a forum joke, you'll see lots of references to it as you read through the threads) in Sept 2007.  So it's been over 12 years now.  :5:  Surprisingly, I still have it.  I have never owned a bike that long.  There are usually 2-3 that rotate through my garage, but the Versys seems to always have an excuse to stay.   :015:

Stock seat:

Raised seat:

Mine is not raised nearly as much as Rob's seat was, but it makes for a flat surface starting with the standard rear elevation of the seat as reference, so it gives you ~1" of extra room.

Here is a pic of Rob's two different versions of Versys and seats...

Gustavo

Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2020, 08:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Windyhill [+]
We'll there you go, lowering pegs isn't something I had seen. Thanks mate I will have to look into them.

Another vote for motowerk, he makes some great gear I have on the 650 anti vibe risers, footpeg lowering blocks, lowering kit, flat foot. All products are awesome quality. Only problem is our dollar is crap against the US so they are a bit pricey just now.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 08:30 PM by Maverick »