Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: That brake squeal on MK3  (Read 487 times)

Online jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
That brake squeal on MK3
« on: May 04, 2020, 04:46 PM »
I remember this was discussed somewhere but I cannot find it, so let's try again. The video below is not mine, but my bike does the exact same thing since new. It now has done 14000 km and it is still there, in fact last time it went worse when the tires were changed (I suppose the caliper to disc placement was slightly changed as the wheels came off and went back). I have not been able to catch it on a stand, as it only seems to happen when warm. Hence I'm also not sure if i have it on the rear or front wheel. Dealership has checked it and say they cannot reproduce and cannot find anything wrong. To clarify, this does not happen while brakes are applied, it makes the sound on slow rolling with warm brakes. Who else has this and what have you learned about it?

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
Re: That brake squeal on MK3
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 05:19 PM »
I have never had that, and that video did not make something clear to me.  When your bike does that, does it seem to happen on the same spot in the disc?  Doesn't seem that way in the clip, but hard to keep up with the wheel rotation.  I'd start by marking the wheel when you hear it and checking that. 

The next thing would be removing the caliper and making sure the slider pins are clean and greased, so the calipper can can slide on them smoothly.  Clean around the piston too, while you are at it.  Even if the disc is not perfect, the caliper should be able to move away when pushed (obviously if the disc is truly warped, not just a little out of spec, it will cause other issues when braking).

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Online jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 05:54 PM »
I will have to try to catch mine on the camera first and then examine the details, so far I have only heard it while seated. I don't yet have front end stand so if it is the front one, I will be able to check it in a month or so (planning to weld myself an abba stand or buy the front stand, which ever way life goes). I understand it is a sliding system so the pads always slightly rub on the disc, which results in some minute vibrations. Under some certain speed and pressure, resonance seems to occur and this creates loud sound waves.

Offline Doug Just Doug

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Newark, Delaware
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 06:37 PM »
The rear brake on my 2015 made that sound from brand new, but to a lesser extent.  It went away with miles.  There were others with new Gen 3s who had the same thing.  Some thought it was a warped disk, others thought it was a glazed disk.  I didn't worry about it because it wasn't dragging badly, though while for I did keep an eye on how hot the disk was getting in use. 
2015 Versys 650 "ABS" model

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 10:51 PM »
Mine did this for about a month after the rear pads were changed but they have bedded in now and the noise has gone.
I'm sorry, really bad reception here, you said your name was Dr. who?

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 12:07 AM »
Yes, I have had some brakes squeal when pads are new, but that usually happens when you are applying the brakes.  Here it's happening when the brakes are supposedly retracted.   Seems to me the issue is more the uneven contact the brakes seem to be making with the disc rather than the pads needing to bed in.

Reminds me - check if the brake pads are wearing evenly and square.  If the wear is uneven, that would also be an indication  the caliper is not sliding smoothly on the pins or one of the pistons (in case of the fronts, rear has a single piston) is not retracting smoothly.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 09:28 AM »
At 10 seconds on the video it appears to make the sound while the wheel is not moving? Or is that just something to do with the sound not matching the video?

Offline Beans

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: STOCKPORT
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 07:49 AM »
I have this! Seems to come and go. I have a Mk 3.  But no idea how what or why 😔

Online kevin..in

• Versys God
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: stoke
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 01:34 PM »
I have had a mk3 rear brake on my mk1 for a few years now it does not squeal