Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Back to the grind  (Read 1887 times)

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: Back to the grind
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 12:17 PM »

Yes, I realize that cruise ships are at least temporarily out of business but I'd forgotten that your current gig covers a variety of shipping  :37: .

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 12:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

Yes, I realize that cruise ships are at least temporarily out of business but I'd forgotten that your current gig covers a variety of shipping  :37: .

Rob.
Yes, Roger the Cabin boy is in great demand  :7:
Richard    :001: 

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 01:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
Yes, Roger the Cabin boy is in great demand  :7:

Yep

Offline NIVersysOwner

• Versys Pro
  • Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
  • Bike: V 650 GT 2018
  • City / Town: The NORTH!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 03:46 PM »
Haha Iíll have you know that the riverbank is my front garden! And jealousy suits you all :008:

Not sure how it is over in England/Scotland areas but here itís easing up.
Less police check points and shops are opening up again. Still not quite back to normal and of course still have to queue outside in sweltering heat in bike gear but at least my shop options are not so limited now.

Bikers here are being encouraged to use their bikes for any travel. Police have confirmed its the safest way to travel. Only stopping on major routes instead of in towns now as well.
I pass 50+ bikes daily now.

Jay
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!
1st ever Strap-on award winner!!!
2019!!!

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 03:47 PM »
Rode to work today. God I needed that. Wish the roads were that quiet all the time.😎

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Mk3 Versys650 GT
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2020, 08:28 PM »
Had to go to the other control room tonight, so got to ride for a bit longer.

Scenic route out of SE London, into Kent, across Surrey and down to Crawley, near Gatwick.

Really strange not to have planes flying over all the time, but there's definitely more cars on the road  :182:

It's clear people are starting to flaunt the rules a bit, just by how many people are out. But the demand on Ambulances has risen sharply again, which is a clear sign people are out enjoying the sun...and empty roads late at night.  :006:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Pro
  • Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
  • Bike: MK1 V650
  • City / Town: Cardigan
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 09:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]

Scenic route out of SE London, into Kent, across Surrey and down to Crawley, near Gatwick.

Would that include the Tunbridge Wells to East Grinstead road? With the twisty bits, woods and golf courses?

If so I used to know and love that sexy little gyrating road on my old CD180, must be 30 years ago, and could get the footpegs scraping on most of the bends.
That was until the day my flat out racing line led me on to a hedgecutting tractor filling the whole lane.... still dont know how I missed it.
I rode it again recently on my V650 when I picked it up, and could not believe where I used to overtake on a clapped out, underpowered bag of bolts held together with bits of wire and bent nails.  :124:
Glad to have been granted the chance to learn the difference between myself as an adolescent biker and a mid life biker. The way I see it I used to ride like I didnt give a *&%@ about dying, now I ride cos it makes me feel more alive!

Sometimes it takes a winding road to get your head straight.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Mk3 Versys650 GT
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 10:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by runtothehills [+]
Would that include the Tunbridge Wells to East Grinstead road? With the twisty bits, woods and golf courses?

If so I used to know and love that sexy little gyrating road on my old CD180, must be 30 years ago, and could get the footpegs scraping on most of the bends.
That was until the day my flat out racing line led me on to a hedgecutting tractor filling the whole lane.... still dont know how I missed it.
I rode it again recently on my V650 when I picked it up, and could not believe where I used to overtake on a clapped out, underpowered bag of bolts held together with bits of wire and bent nails.  :124:
Glad to have been granted the chance to learn the difference between myself as an adolescent biker and a mid life biker. The way I see it I used to ride like I didnt give a *&%@ about dying, now I ride cos it makes me feel more alive!

Noot quite that road, I did the other half. East Grinstead to Crawley but I know the road you're talking about. It's a cracking bit of road, the second half to Crawley isn't as nice but still worthwhile.
Here's my route: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Sidcup/4+Gatwick+Road,+Crawley/@51.1846577,-0.1123139,12z/data=!4m26!4m25!1m15!1m1!1s0x47d8a9343780a7a9:0x2c313ce242546dff!2m2!1d0.1009392!2d51.4264863!3m4!1m2!1d0.1293316!2d51.2847128!3s0x47df53b7fd2cb8e1:0x399e5c973f498f1e!3m4!1m2!1d-0.0516005!2d51.1413062!3s0x4875f7016c20f697:0x7faaf982182046d1!1m5!1m1!1s0x4875f1cc1a8c4c7f:0x2a1db311c7376e03!2m2!1d-0.1688898!2d51.1328557!2m1!1b1!3e0

I'm now somewhere in between when it comes to riding styles. I'm currently training for my RoSPA AdQual so consequently, I think I know it all while undoubtedly knowing nothing!! As a 33yr old, I'm still young ish in motorcycle terms.Therefore I still have a little bit of that invincibility feeling and approach to my riding. However, I'm a dad of 3 and the job I do gives me a little sensibility I suppose (hence doing the AdQual).
I used to ride a Z1000SX and whilst I loved that bike Two accidents, one at fault and one not, has given me a little bit of a slow down in attitude.
The last accident was a write off for the bike and a few injuries for me, so that's where the 650 V came in. A big enough bike to feel like a real bike but limiting enough to hopefully stop me going too mental.
I realise now, riding the route that I once rode on the SX, how much faster I used to be and it wasn't necessarily down to me, just how the bike and the road complemented one another, creating an ever addictive flow of sweeping corners and lean angles. I still like to 'make progress' as they say, but the V is better at keeping me in check, partly down to the engine size, but the taller bike doesn't hug the corners like the SX did. Once you get rid of the OE tyres ad get a decent suspension set-up done, the SX cornered with ease and confidence inspiring grip that only dared you into taking bigger risks... An accident was inevitable I suppose.
Ironically, I was actually doing 30mph on a 50mph limit road when the accident occurred, but it was after a long night shift when I was cruising home and everyone else was rushing to get to work. Bad recipe really.

Still the roads we're lovely today, surface has deteriorated a bit in places since I used to do this trip regularly. However, they still provided the necessary levels of entertainment aboard my more restrained but equally fun V today. I'm looking forward to riding them again in the morning  on my way home. :37:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!