Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Installed Ermax touring screen and SHAD SH40 Cargo top-box  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
Re: Installed Ermax touring screen and SHAD SH40 Cargo top-box
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 07:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by whiskydave [+]
You'll find a camp bed is your best friend. 😃😚

too much clutter if moving every day, i want to travel as light as possible, camp a couple of nights if weather is good, then hotel a night

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 09:02 PM »
Damnit I keep forgetting about it but here's a piece extracted from a random pic today:

Now after some testing I can say it definitely is not as quiet as the large Givi screen but still, it is tall enough to avoid the air-hammer buffeting that all the other screens do, so I can work with it. As it is narrow down below, it creates quite a strong updraft into the vacuum bubble higher above and this creates wind noise at shoulders and under the helmet. Strange thing... if you look at this CFMoto 650 MT pic, you will see the extra plexiglass pieces they have added to the sides. They added them for the 2019 model, so it is a specific improvement to offer better protection, not a random design idea.

This makes me wonder. Many ADV screens are tall and narrow, rather narrower down below and wider on top than vice versa, Tracer 700 1st gen being the most extreme example perhaps. And this looks good and everything, but aerodynamically the need seems to be the opposite, if you leave these areas open, air will rush upwards and end up right below the helmet, right where you can hear it the best.

Now when I had the Givi screen on, I also had the windscreen mount backward tilt mod, meaning, four washers under the front bolts of the windscreen holders. This moved the top end of the screen closer to my face and at the same time enabled more air to pass underneath the screen, expectedly reducing vacuum and all sorts of air rushing into it. I removed the mod when I installed Ermax and I am planning to try it out again.

Another thing I am thinking is this. Many touring screens, Honda ones specifically and even the Versys 1000 LT OEM one have a vent hole in them to allow some air come through. Why don't aftermarket touring screens that primarily claim better airflow management have those? Should we experiment with cutting some holes in some screens?

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 01:44 PM »
a lot of getting a screen to work is just as you say....experiment, ive gone through loads...and yes, winglets and holes do make a difference, ive tried sticking temporary bit on to screens with gaffa tape to see the results, sometimes just a small alteration makes a difference worth having

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 08:11 PM »
Wal, I love your experimenting. :028: You done all that work getting your Tracer screen to work and then you gave it to me. (the screen  :whistle:) :38: :38: :38: :38:

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 04:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by whiskydave [+]
Wal, I love your experimenting. :028: You done all that work getting your Tracer screen to work and then you gave it to me. (the screen  :whistle:) :38: :38: :38: :38:

yeah....whats 300 between friends...... :008: :36:

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 09:46 PM »
So these should give an imagination finally. It is quite transparent ("light smoke"), hard to catch on photo. On these photos, it is about mid way on the vertical adjustment scale. What I have learned by now is that if you lower it, the wider part protects your chest very well and takes away all the updraft. However, then it lacks a few inches to clear my helmet of wind, to I'm thinking of putting it to the lowest setting and adding a wind deflector on the top. I have MRA Touring Screen with the adjustable deflector, I wonder if I can refit this. Seems to be attached with tiny screws. Then again, a clip-on from AliExpress would not require drilling the Ermax screen, which poses its own risks and problems.

Online McVicar

• Versys Pro
  • Berrow, Somerset
  • Bike: 2018 GT
  • City / Town: Berrow, Somerset
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 08:35 AM »
What's the aerial (antenna) for on the top box. Some sort of sound system?

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 09:45 AM »
Absolutely not  :001: This is just a $3 car antenna from a dollar shop for the looks (american English for shits and giggles I guess). If I go touring, I might attach a small flag or some ribbons to it. It is an actual antenna though, just that the wire is not connected to anything.

Online McVicar

• Versys Pro
  • Berrow, Somerset
  • Bike: 2018 GT
  • City / Town: Berrow, Somerset
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 11:16 AM »
I see. Sorry for being so nosey. :)

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor