Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Is corrosion common on the Versys?  (Read 779 times)

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
Re: Is corrosion common on the Versys?
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 07:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
But like I said, one man's mint bike is another man's hound.    And no I am not suggesting that yours  was a dog.   :002:
But some of the addon parts welding was a bit dubious  :7:
Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now on HOLD until Sept 2020

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 07:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
But some of the addon parts welding was a bit dubious  :7:
Don't mention add ons . Geoff might have something to say about yours.  :008: :008: :008:

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 07:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by whiskydave [+]
Don't mention add ons . Geoff might have something to say about yours.  :008: :008: :008:
Too right.                                      :sick:     :33:    :5:    :80:          utter shite  :4: :4: :4:      BUT   if it makes him happy     :033:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 07:57 PM by 100milesaway »
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Beans

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: STOCKPORT
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 07:40 AM »
I've been disappointed with the Versys finish and corrosion resistance I must say. It seems that the thing is fated to rust away in front of my eyes. The bolts and fastenings are cheap and nasty. I think I ultimately blame motorcycle reviewers, we should not be accepting this for a vehicle. Magazines and websites need to work on testing longevity (and utility etc.) and really calling out the current poor standard. If cars needed one quarter of the fuss and faff bikes do *just to slow down the disintegration* the roads would be empty year round

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 08:55 AM »
But the bolts and fasteners on a car will look exactly like the ones on your bike,  BUT they are underneath the car and out of sight. 

What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Member
  • Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
  • Bike: 09 MK1 V650 ABS
  • City / Town: Cardigan
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 10:08 AM »
I think I ultimately blame motorcycle reviewers, we should not be accepting this for a vehicle. Magazines and websites need to work on testing longevity (and utility etc.) and really calling out the current poor standard.
Dont believe for a minute that the motorcycle (or any other) press has truth seeking as its prime motive any more. Loyal reviewers compete for favours from the manufacturers that are bought with exclusive access to rumours of new inovations, being first in line for free bikes, free holidays to fine resorts where they get wined and dined, etc. The disloyal are left out in the cold, starved of the oxygen of new information.
Fort Nine does a good piece about it here 
As for the quality I agree with whiskydave, nearly everything is built to rust now beneath the veneer of plastics, and as cheap as possible to make replacement more cost effective than repair. Vehicle sales are second to property for total value in our growth based economy. Add the salted roads and stir well with a wet climate and hey presto a ten year old bike/car looks in need of replacing unless its owner has bathed it and lavished the sort of care on it that is usually reserved for our children.
Part of what drew me to the versys in the first place was the pricetag, so I didnt expect the build quality of some more expensive bikes. As it is I still think that its great value and mine looks pretty shabby.
Thanks to Kawaboy I have a bottle of ACF50 on the way. I was wondering as well whether its possible to replace most bolts/fixings with stainless steel?

Sometimes it takes a winding road to get your head straight.

Offline mac one

• Versys God
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 12:14 PM »
Stainless steel bolts in general don't have the tensile strength of mild steel but if it's for plastics etc then go for it.

Offline Grahame5161

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 12:29 PM »
got new versys in 2016,looked after it but corrosion started within months, was so bad i contacted kawasaki direct and they said it is scottish weather causing corrosion ???? but as a good will gesture they would replace rusty shock and re paint where rust was.
its still bad after 4 yrs. cant fault bike mechanically but build quality is crap. first and last kawasaki i would buy.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 01:00 PM »

Would bikes or cars of 20/40/60 years ago have faired any better than our present day ones if used under today's conditions?

Where and when  was this mythical 'build quality' that is mourned in this thread?

In my limited experience modern vehicles for the most part put up with harsher use in worse conditions and run longer with less maintenance than their forbears ever did, particularly in heavily industrialised parts of the world.

Rob

Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2020, 04:41 PM »
My recollection from my younger days was that maintenance took as long on a bike as the amount of time riding it.

I don't speak from my own experience as I am shocking at looking after my bikes and quite happy to pay a chappie  to do the work, except for basic cleaning.
I have had a go in the past but decided that I prefer riding to looking after the bike.

The bloke, a couple of houses up from me whan I was young, spent 4 hours maintenance for every couple hours of riding, which was the subject of some heavy (but comical to me ) arguements between him and his Mrs.

I have to concur with Rob on this point

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.