Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: installing side panniers  (Read 295 times)

Offline tunstallhill

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: Sunderland
installing side panniers
« on: May 23, 2020, 12:43 PM »
Hello, can anyone offer me any advice on what rack i need to allow me to buy some Givi panniers to fit my bike? I have just bought it (first bike) and it has a Givi top/back box on it already, and i want to add side panniers.

I have looked online and there seems to be some conflicting information, i'm guessing depending on what pannier box you buy will dictate what rack you need to buy, but i don't want to buy the panniers first and find that the corresponding racking doesn't exist.

I'm also confused as to what the Givi 450kit is, as it says i need one if i'm installing panniers independent of the top box, but in other places there are side racks for sale that don't require this kit. for instance the 017BRU0033 looks like it would fit directly to the bike, but doesn't specify which pannier boxed i need to buy.

also, i saw a guide that says the back indicators need to be taken off and repositioned, but there isn't a lot more information on this that i can see.

Can anyone offer any advice??

basically i'd love someone to just tell me straight up what rack and what panniers to buy, or even better if there was a pannier and rack kit all-in-one that fits my bike that i could buy??

much appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 12:45 PM by tunstallhill »

Offline Doug Just Doug

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Newark, Delaware
Re: installing side panniers
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 02:39 PM »
Congrats, and a great choice for a bike.  For better advice, we'll need to know what generation or model year your Versys is because the mounting options are different.
2015 Versys 650 "ABS" model

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 02:58 PM »
I seem to recall that Kawasaki recommend top box or panniers, not both together, however many riders of Mk1 and 2 Versys have had both.
I cannot recall the number bit I used a Givi bracket on my Mk1 to have both. I also tried a roll-bag on the pillion seat with a topbox and found it easier than the panniers (Does my arse look bit in this!)

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline gushud

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650 2010
  • City / Town: Darlington
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 04:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by tunstallhill [+]
Hello, can anyone offer me any advice on what rack i need to allow me to buy some Givi panniers to fit my bike? I have just bought it (first bike) and it has a Givi top/back box on it already, and i want to add side panniers.

I have looked online and there seems to be some conflicting information, i'm guessing depending on what pannier box you buy will dictate what rack you need to buy, but i don't want to buy the panniers first and find that the corresponding racking doesn't exist.

I'm also confused as to what the Givi 450kit is, as it says i need one if i'm installing panniers independent of the top box, but in other places there are side racks for sale that don't require this kit. for instance the 017BRU0033 looks like it would fit directly to the bike, but doesn't specify which pannier boxed i need to buy.

also, i saw a guide that says the back indicators need to be taken off and repositioned, but there isn't a lot more information on this that i can see.

Can anyone offer any advice??

basically i'd love someone to just tell me straight up what rack and what panniers to buy, or even better if there was a pannier and rack kit all-in-one that fits my bike that i could buy??

much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Tunstallhill, Is your bike the mark 1 or mark 2, I recently sold my 2010 mk2 with the givi  top box rack but the purchaser did  not
want the givi v35 panniers of the givi plxr quick release pannier racks, the indicators have to be moved back so they don't catch on
the panniers. I have the racks & panniers plus the bracket to move the indicators if yours is a mk2, I don't know if they fit the mk1
but someone on here will.
I'm just down the road in Darlington.
Also welcome to the forum😁😁😁

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 02:06 AM »

The Givi brackets for the V35 bags on the Mk1 and Mk2 are different. The Givi site will give you the part number to order once you tell them what model bike you have and which bags you want.
 The V35 bags get my nod. They are well built, easy to pack, and don't break when a V650 is dropped on them ... or so I'm told :whistle:.
 They look better on the Mk1 than on the Mk2 where they are mounted further part, and they are superior in every respect except ignition paired keys to the stock Mk3/V1k bags.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline grumpyoldgit

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Mk1 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Swansea (ish)
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 04:58 PM »
If its of any help...

There is a top box and panniers - all Givi, IIRC - on the Mk2 back end of the bitsa I nearly bought  :013:

The original advert shows them on the bike and the pic I took shows with panniers unclipped. Don't know if anything is recognisable or identifiable by the pic but thought it worth a post just in case.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202004068873074?radius=1500&make=KAWASAKI&postcode=sa183le&sort=distance&model=VERSYS%20650&advertising-location=at_bikes&page=1

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 05:03 PM »
I fitted these givi ones to my 2o10 bike.Im selling them for 60 plus postage.you need a givi rear luggage rack to fit them and if you git the givi rack you can also fit a top box
jim

Offline gushud

• Versys Pro
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 05:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by jim ballantyne [+]
I fitted these givi ones to my 2o10 bike.Im selling them for 60 plus postage.you need a givi rear luggage rack to fit them and if you git the givi rack you can also fit a top box
jim

Be aware you will need the Givi straight racks as the V35 pannier racks are curved at the bottom and will not fit on racks
unless they are V35 compatible.
Hope this is helpful.😃

Offline gushud

• Versys Pro
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 05:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by grumpyoldgit [+]
If its of any help...

There is a top box and panniers - all Givi, IIRC - on the Mk2 back end of the bitsa I nearly bought  :013:

The original advert shows them on the bike and the pic I took shows with panniers unclipped. Don't know if anything is recognisable or identifiable by the pic but thought it worth a post just in case.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202004068873074?radius=1500&make=KAWASAKI&postcode=sa183le&sort=distance&model=VERSYS%20650&advertising-location=at_bikes&page=1

These are the plx r racks designed for the V35 panniers I also noticed they are the quick release version, same as the set
languishing in my shed beside the V35 panniers off my mk2 2010 versys.