Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Stiff Chain  (Read 747 times)

Offline Gavroom

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Stiff Chain
« on: May 28, 2020, 10:50 PM »
My chain has almost no slack and is very stiff. Iíve not used the bike since the lockdown, however, after my last ride I used the usual spray of Bananaslip wax. Today, I put the bike on the stand and spun the back wheel for 5 minutes and the chain seemed to ease off, but it still only has about 5mm of slack. The chain was fine the last time I used the bike, so should I take the bike out and hope the slack comes back or re-adjust the wheel to give more slack before using it. The bike is almost 2 years old and has done 13k. It seems to be in decent condition and there is no rust. Any advice is most welcome.
Cheers
Gavin

Online mac one

• Versys God
Re: Stiff Chain
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 12:02 AM »
I adjust the chain with the bike  off the stand, get someone to check and adjust the chain when you are sat on it and it's better to be on the slack side than on the tight side. That said not all do it my way.

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 01:55 AM »

Might the wax have set up?

Try cleaning the chain thoroughly with WD40 or some such. If that shows signs of freeing it up try slackening the chain off to allow further  penetration, clean again, re lube it and adjust to taste.

Just a thought.

Rob.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 02:03 AM by uralrob »
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Online gushud

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650 2010
  • City / Town: Darlington
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 08:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gavroom [+]
My chain has almost no slack and is very stiff. Iíve not used the bike since the lockdown, however, after my last ride I used the usual spray of Bananaslip wax. Today, I put the bike on the stand and spun the back wheel for 5 minutes and the chain seemed to ease off, but it still only has about 5mm of slack. The chain was fine the last time I used the bike, so should I take the bike out and hope the slack comes back or re-adjust the wheel to give more slack before using it. The bike is almost 2 years old and has done 13k. It seems to be in decent condition and there is no rust. Any advice is most welcome.
Cheers
Gavin

Might seem a bit daft but are you checking the slack with the bike on the side stand as I used to find it was always tighter
when the bike was on a paddock or centre stand.
Cheers Harry.

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 04:03 PM »
give it a 5 minute run, short ride won't harm it, then see how it looks

Offline Gavroom

• Versys Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 05:59 PM »
Hi Folks
Thanks for your advice. Iíve cleaned the chain with degreaser and then used wd40 and repeated the process. There is some improvement- when turning the wheel part of the chain has got some slack, but the other part is still stiff, albeit slightly less so. Several links have kinks, so I guess that is what is taking up any slack in the chain. Iíll try riding the bike later and see it helps. So if I need a new chain is it a difficult job for a muppet level maintenance biker?
Cheers
Gavin

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 09:40 PM »
you may be lucky and the links may not have seized badly, but if they don't come out its time for a new chain, you'll need a chain link extractor/riveter as its an endless type chain, probably better to get a dealer if you have no experience...

Online jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 10:11 PM »
Hi Folks
Thanks for your advice. Iíve cleaned the chain with degreaser and then used wd40 and repeated the process. There is some improvement- when turning the wheel part of the chain has got some slack, but the other part is still stiff, albeit slightly less so. Several links have kinks, so I guess that is what is taking up any slack in the chain. Iíll try riding the bike later and see it helps. So if I need a new chain is it a difficult job for a muppet level maintenance biker?
Cheers
Gavin
I managed it and it can be done with the on board toolkit at a push.

Bit of an arse putting the rear wheel back in and I would recommend a chain riveting tool (unlike the hand riveted malarky I messed around with).

Plenty of good videos on youtube about it, give it a go I say.

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 10:41 PM »
Hi Folks
Cheers
Gavin

G

and if you are really stuck, I am only 45 miles down the road @ Biggar if you feel like a day out on the good roads  :7:
Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now on HOLD until Sept 2020

Offline Gavroom

• Versys Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 05:27 PM »
Hi Folks
I went out for a ride last night and the chain loosened off (unlike me who felt rather rusty). There is one slightly stiff link, but it has been like that for a while. All seems well, so thanks for your advice and offer of help.
Cheers
Gavin