Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 2020 Versys 650 LT Cruise control  (Read 523 times)

Offline PARKED20

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Danville
2020 Versys 650 LT Cruise control
« on: Jun 21, 2020, 09:22 PM »
I own a 2019 Versys 1000LT+ which has a ton of installed features including cruise control. I want to ride to the white mountains in NH USA,  about a 2 hour drive by the highway. The problem is my girlfriends 2014 Versys 650 ABS fatigues her wrist/hand. I have installed hand guards and a larger windscreen to help with wind fatigue. Does anyone know if the 2020 Versys 650 LT comes with cruise control because I donít see it on the Kawasaki website?  Iím trying to find a way to make her more comfortable so we can go on longer trips. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
Re: 2020 Versys 650 LT Cruise control
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2020, 09:35 PM »
Hi and welcome to the site.
No the V650 does not come with a crude control as it's throttles are still cable actuated. The new V1k is  a electronic throttle.

Have a look at a throttle crampbuster to relieve  the wrist strain 👍
Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now on HOLD until Sept 2020

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2020, 09:24 PM »
When properly adjusted, a throttle lock will get you 90% of the way to what you need the CC for.  The fact that some can be had for $20-25 is just a bonus.

I like the Vista Cruise:

If you are a belts and suspenders kinda guy, maybe that and a Throttle Rocker...   :008:

If I had to choose one, the throttle lock would be it.  Actually, as you can see from the first pic, I decided the Throttle Rocker was redundant.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Online Sylvester

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2018 KLE 300 CHF
  • City / Town: Chorleywood
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2020, 09:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
When properly adjusted, a throttle lock will get you 90% of the way to what you need the CC for.  The fact that some can be had for $20-25 is just a bonus.

I like the Vista Cruise:

Gustavo ... is that the Vista Cruise or the Vista NEP?  It kinda looks like the NEP.  Is it as easy to fit as the Atlas throttle lock?  The Atlas looks really good, but is crazy expensive.  In the past, I've simply used an O-Ring between the bar end and the throttle.   Dr.Bones of this forum introduced me to the solution a few years back and it always worked great for me.  But, the bar ends on the VX3 are DUMB so now I'm looking for another solution.  I really like the Atlas, but can't bring myself to spend £130 on it.  If the SOR NEP lock works, I'd be a lot more interested in that.
Ride as if your life depended on it.

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2020, 10:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sylvester [+]
Gustavo ... is that the Vista Cruise or the Vista NEP?  It kinda looks like the NEP.  Is it as easy to fit as the Atlas throttle lock?  The Atlas looks really good, but is crazy expensive.  In the past, I've simply used an O-Ring between the bar end and the throttle.   Dr.Bones of this forum introduced me to the solution a few years back and it always worked great for me.  But, the bar ends on the VX3 are DUMB so now I'm looking for another solution.  I really like the Atlas, but can't bring myself to spend £130 on it.  If the SOR NEP lock works, I'd be a lot more interested in that.

I saw the atlas and really liked the look of it as well, but they are just asking crazy money for it.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2020, 04:50 PM »
Yup, some bikes were just made for those o-rings.  I used one too, but it requires a tight fit between the bar-end weight and the throttle.

It's a Vista Cruise in the picture.  The "Honda" model (Model # MCVICO), more specifically.  There is a "Yamaha" model, but I find this one easier to adapt.  Adapt being the key word here, these were designed when motorcycles had semi-open throttle setups with the cables coming out of the bottom, right next to the throttle, not everything hidden under the the housing, so some modification is required.   Also, most newer throttle tubes have ridges that go all the way to the end of the grip, those reduce the surface area your throttle lock has to work with, so I sanded the ridges down at the end of the tube to get one smooth surface all around the circumference. 

On the Versys I used a self-tapping screw straight into the back of the cable/switch housing.  I can't find a picture right now (and the bike is 1000 miles away), but it uses the notched tab in this picture to secure the lock:

On the V-Strom I used safety wire (I think you guys call it locking wire), to fix that tab, as there was no room in the housing to tap at the angle I wanted.  Both work very well after you adjust the tension on the adjuster screw (and like all things mechanical, it vibrates loose, despite being spring loaded, so it requires periodic adjustment to keep in the sweet spot).

I had an NEP on the DL1K.  I like the Vista design better, but both work well.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2020, 09:48 PM »
When I retire in some 30 years, I would like to design a throttle lock for the Versys 650 that does not involve the throttle grip at all but goes directly to the throttle actuator. Perhaps a solenoid that you activate with a switch and which is also deactivated by a signal from the brake light wire, the whole setup weak enough that you can always override it by rolling the throttle grip back. Just pondering and wondering, I know this would be a jackass kind of project and highly illegal in most countries :)

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2020, 10:20 PM »
A solenoid would be pretty much open of closed.
You would need something more like a linear actuator.

If you had a pick up disc next to the throttle group and a sensor on the grip you could have it follow the throttle position.
A button on the bar could hold it in that position when you roll off.
The next time to use the throttle could overide the hold position.

Might be a bit more complicated than a friction lock!

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #8 on: Jul 01, 2020, 07:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
A solenoid would be pretty much open of closed.
You would need something more like a linear actuator.

If you had a pick up disc next to the throttle group and a sensor on the grip you could have it follow the throttle position.
A button on the bar could hold it in that position when you roll off.
The next time to use the throttle could overide the hold position.

Might be a bit more complicated than a friction lock!

You got me wrong. I'm not talking about electronic throttle control but just an electronic throttle lock. Being an on/of device is what it would be meant to be.

Online Sylvester

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2018 KLE 300 CHF
  • City / Town: Chorleywood
« Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2020, 07:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by jkristjan [+]
When I retire in some 30 years, I would like to design a throttle lock for the Versys 650

Aren't we all going to be riding Versys hover bikes in 2050?  We'll just put on an EEG-enabled helmet, climb aboard, and fly to wherever we THINK we want to go.  That's what you should be thinking about designing!
Ride as if your life depended on it.