Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Numb bum  (Read 2519 times)

mac one and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline MZ FANATIC

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 2011
  • City / Town: Sandhurst
Re: Numb bum
« Reply #20 on: Jun 28, 2020, 03:46 PM »
Hi Everyone well that's sparked off nicely and it is quite unfair to berate our BMW riding colleague he/she was only expressing an opinion, admittedly a rather expensive opinion and it is not correct riders of this marque sit outside coffee shops when the dealers have coffee machines and comfortable reclining chairs whilst the support vehicle is readied to follow the rider home.
So to continue I have discounted beaded seat covers as sat on one once and hated it but some do love them, the mesh is interesting but probably not for me so thinking of this combination:

Debbonair deluxe gel seat pad and cover with a Lambland supersoft or premium quality sheepskin thrown over and tied on with shoelaces which I will pass through eyelets as I have an eyelet kit.

If that doesnt work I will go and sit in the comfy reclining chairs, drink coffee and wind up the salesmen.

Thanks all for the inputs and advice. Cheers

Offline cl6118rd

• Versys Member
« Reply #21 on: Jun 28, 2020, 05:00 PM »
Try a pair of leather biking trousers. Cured numb bum for me, whether I was riding the billy basic Versys, Yam FJR 1300, BMW R1100S. F800ST  All owned without any breakdowns ever. Riding the same bikes in Draggin' bike jeans and after about an hour the old arse ache starts.

Thinking about it, I have never had a bike breakdown in 40 years, wherever it was made.  :002:

« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2020, 05:03 PM by cl6118rd »

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #22 on: Jun 28, 2020, 05:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by cl6118rd [+]
Try a pair of leather biking trousers. Cured numb bum for me, whether I was riding the billy basic Versys, Yam FJR 1300, BMW R1100S. F800ST  All owned without any breakdowns ever. Riding the same bikes in Draggin' bike jeans and after about an hour the old arse ache starts.

Thinking about it, I have never had a bike breakdown in 40 years, wherever it was made.  :002:

Now that you come to mention it - my arse ache started when I chose to wear Draggin Jeans and other makes of armoured jeans since. I may have to think about another pair of leather jeans.

I have had 1 breakdown on a BMW (F650CS) when the wiring loom got a bit hot and went on fire. - However I have had 3 breakdown requiring recovery on Hondas, which are supposed to be ultra reliable. (they just eat alternators)

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline MZ FANATIC

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 2011
  • City / Town: Sandhurst
« Reply #23 on: Jun 28, 2020, 06:35 PM »
Hi Again
I routinely wear leather and swap to kevlar lined jeans, doesn't make any difference.
As for breakdowns and blow ups I killed most things in my day.
Numerous RD250 seized/holed pistons. RD350LC's same and threw a few down the road. CB900F bent 11 of the 16 valves. XS1100 electrical fire whilst sitting on it. Too many K4 Hondas to mention CB400 into a car that pulled out in front of me. GS1000e survived until sold as did a GT250 however blew up a GT550.
Think I also did in a few CB250'S oh and bent the frame on a KH250. Of course I look at classic bike mags and think I had one of those and how much is it now worth, but in those days I kept what wasn't broken to repair what was running at the time.
Feeling old.

Offline Big Ade

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2007 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Lichfield. UK
« Reply #24 on: Jul 10, 2020, 10:57 AM »
I bought an inflatable seat and cover off Ebay..... bloody fantastic! You can put as much or as little air in as you want until your ass is 'sitting pretty'!  :008:

Online mac one

• Versys God
« Reply #25 on: Jul 10, 2020, 11:24 AM »
What make is it , and i'm soooo happy for your bum.

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God
« Reply #26 on: Jul 11, 2020, 02:57 PM »
I've just bought one of those it fits ok but I don't seem to be able to get the seat back on.I must be doing something wrong
Jim

Offline tonybro

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 650 Grand Tourer
  • City / Town: Newton Abbot
« Reply #27 on: Jul 12, 2020, 01:09 PM »
Just got my seat back from CM Seats after having my OEM seat reduced in height slightly and gel insert and comfort foam. They had three designs i believe and a choice of piping colour. Prices start at 215 and mine was 260 with 5 day turnaround and inc courier cost.
Been out on the bike for a few hours and same again today and feels very comfortable and not moving around on this or suffering dumb bum to date.
Spoke with Ross on phone first and discussed what i wanted, what he could do and took advice from him.

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God
« Reply #28 on: Jul 12, 2020, 02:00 PM »
I just can't fit to my bike.Will take it to the meet up in September and compare it to the ones you blokes have got
Jim

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #29 on: Jul 13, 2020, 07:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by cl6118rd [+]
I can highly recommend selling the Versys and buying a BMW with the comfort seat option. Marvelous.

IF I could afford a BMW I still wouldn't buy one, I tend to dislike collapsing front forks, diffs that sh#t themselves leaving the owner with a broken bike and a HUGE repair bill, and service fees that would pay for a Versys after 20,000 km.
A friend of mine has a GTR1000 which has done over 300,000 km all around Australia towing a trailer with only regular servicing and no (ZERO) break downs. I'll take Kawasaki reliability anyday. A seat is an easily and cheaply fixed item (if in fact it needs fixing).

Now to the OP I had my seat modified by my local upholsterer (bike rider) he added some width for hip support and that made the seat IMO as comfortable as any. All for a measly couple hundred bucks.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2020, 07:04 AM by Maverick »