Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: So the master link clip flew off  (Read 341 times)

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
So the master link clip flew off
« on: Jun 29, 2020, 10:51 AM »
About a month ago the dealer installed new chain and sprockets and I was kinda surprised to see a clip link, but thought they would know better. Fast forward to yesterday when I was about 100 miles from home, stopped to gas up and lube the chain and there it was... I mean, there it wasn't, the clip. It's a DID 520 VX3 so of course it is the interference fit master link where the clip is only a security, but still, one should tow the bike in this situation so it is a major breakdown. It was nighttime already and I was on the back roads so I decided to do the following - set the dealer as destination in Waze selecting the shortest route (70 miles) and start riding, keeping it under 40 mph to save my ass if it fails. Parked the bike at their doorstep, rode a cab home and called them today. So the guy on the phone is in disbelief too: "we replaced chain and put on a clip link?". What can I say, yes you did and I'm rather pissed, so they will fix it and use a rivet link this time. Anyway, I think it is an experience worth sharing because how would newer riders learn from other's mistakes otherwise. When I saw the clip link just a month ago, I searched the internet trying to form an opinion if I should have it replaced and the opinion appears divided, there are guys who swear by never using one ever again and then there are lifetime riders who say "I have never had a problem". As the clip falling off is such a fucked up thing, I mean, there should be no possible way for it to happen, yet it still happens, the topic will remain controversial and the statistics do not matter, one can only read some experiences of others and form their proactive opinion.

Who ever stumbles on this topic in 10 or 20 years from now, let me also note for the sake of completeness that there are tricks that I did not know of and learned after I researched this problem. If you have a clip link, you can use silicone or some other suitable gluing substance or a safety wire to secure the clip (search the internet for pics), also you should carry a spare clip. If you have already lost the clip, you can use safety wire around the link pins instead of a clip. You may be able to find strong thin wire in various products, e.g. bread bag clip, perhaps even a paper clip, etc. You can use a straight edge of a credit card to check that the master link plate is still pushed back on the pins and has not moved.

Whether or not you will decide to ride a bike with the missing clip is a separate decision, but if you run a clip link you are risking it anyway - you will be riding it without the clip right before discovering that it is missing. I rode 70 miles below 40 mph knowing the clip was gone, but I might have gone hundreds of miles at 70 mph, some of them with a pillion, before I stopped to inspect the chain. In that regard, the last 70 miles of this adventure were probably the safest part.

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
Re: So the master link clip flew off
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2020, 11:21 AM »
Bloody nora! Close call, bet you're glad you checked your chain at the filling station.

Good post. :028:

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2020, 01:43 PM »
I had an epiphany - know where you can get makeshift safety wire from? A cable. I mean, a stranded steel cable like your clutch or throttle cable. And while extracting a strand from your current clutch cable is not the first thing to do, you may have a spare or you may have a cheap bicycle lock that you use for your helmet or something. And if you have none of these, they may very well be on sale at the next gas station.

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2020, 02:09 PM »
Stainless Steel (0.8mm) Locking wire is the best HERE

and you do it like this  :028:

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2020, 02:10 PM by TowerMan »
Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now on HOLD until Sept 2020

Online Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2020, 03:23 PM »
lucky escape... :028:
.rivet link for me every time on a bigger bike, although i do carry a spare link and a half clip type for emergencies

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2020, 05:35 PM »
Good thing you looked the bike over at the gas station.  That's probably the best lesson to learn from this, getting in the habit of checking the bike out when you stop, rather than just getting gas and hopping back on.

Do you remember if the clip was installed correctly - i.e. the closed end facing in the direction of chain rotation?

I prefer rivet or screw type links mostly for peace of mind, but I have never had a problem with a properly installed clip link.

Gustavo

Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2020, 01:13 AM »

I lost several clips from KLRs but the master links themselves never moved. It happened more frequently as the chains got older.
 Unfortunately you can't buy spare clips without the links. I now have a handful of unused links with no clips  :2: .

I've been using rivet links for several years now and carry a basic Motion Pro riveting kit with me on trips.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2020, 07:30 AM »
My first thought is it was installed the wrong way round
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2020, 10:40 AM »
It was installed the right way and it was less than 2000 miles and quality D.I.D. equipment. I would like to say "it all had to be done correctly because it was a dealership job" but this leads us back to the "trust nobody" guideline and the fact that choosing a clip link over a riveted link was already a fuckup by them, as they later expressed disbelief over doing so and there really is no explanation to as why they should not install the best, safest and least troublesome option for a client who walks in the front door and asks for a full service with parts for a less than year old bike. Keeping this in mind, there was actually one thing I did notice from the beginning, the master link was stiffer than other links. It was not visibly pressed too tight, but more stiffness points to seals being compressed more, so there might have been an over-compression below the visible amount. If that was true, the clip would have less pressure on it than designed. But again, as it was a full job from dealership, I let it slip and thought that they would know better, after all, it is not possible to compress the link the exact correct amount, there would always be some error and some allowable tolerance so I thought it is perhaps in these limits.

Now again about the clip coming off vs the chain actually separating. The way I understand it, the interference fit clip links are not meant to fail after clip separation, you just have to inspect it at every fill up. D.I.D. has a master link compatibility chart and the third type of link - the unpressed clip link - is not allowed for high cc street bikes. From this I draw that a pressed clip link is considered safe enough to ride from the clip separation (which is considered a real possibility, as regular inspection is required) to your next fill-up. How exactly the lawyers have decided to word the check interval is just a technicality, "before every ride", "at every fill-up", "every few hundred miles", basically it is all the same thing and not intended to be very precise.  This being said I don't feel that my misadventure was really a close call or big drama, especially as I did not see the side plate moving, but the more important aspect is to learn about another small niggle that may ruin a long trip and that you must not trust anyone and must not let anything slip, always proactively cover your bases and walk every extra mile necessary to remove simple reasons to get stranded.

@uralrob Why do you carry a riveting tool? Do your rivet links also fail?
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2020, 10:42 AM by jkristjan »

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2020, 11:02 AM »

No, never had a rivet fail, but I have had to replace chains a couple of times on long haul - over 10k km - due to a combination of bad planning on my part and very wet trips.

This statement of yours rings very true:

"This being said I don't feel that my misadventure was really a close call or big drama, especially as I did not see the side plate moving, but the more important aspect is to learn about another small niggle that may ruin a long trip and that you must not trust anyone and must not let anything slip, always proactively cover your bases ....."

Rob.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2020, 11:02 AM by uralrob »
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.