Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Spraying the random visible part of the chain at every stop  (Read 509 times)

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
I've heard of this practice, any comments from people who have used this method over long periods and mileages and can share the outcome/experience? I'm honing my techniques for long distance trips (up to 10000 km for example) and it sounds very appealing to avoid all the jacking up, dirty hands, bringing the necessary equipment and so on.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: Spraying the random visible part of the chain at every stop
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2020, 01:50 AM »

That could be a lot of bending over  :2: .

On daily runs of over 800 km I oil and check the chain while it is warm as soon as I stop for the day and also as soon as I stop around noon, thus giving the oil some chance to penetrate.

I carry a piece of wooden dowel about 30 mm in diameter and cut about 25mm longer than the distance to the ground of the threaded bobbin holder on the right side of the swing arm. One end of the dowel has a recess drilled in it to help keep it in place under the bobbin holder. I use this to get the rear wheel just clear of the ground so I can lube and check the whole chain by spinning the rear wheel.
 Lifting the bike onto the dowel is not as difficult as it may seem as much of the weight is taken by the kickstand and the front wheel, and it is a short lift.
I lift with one hand and a knee, positioning the dowel with the other hand. To get the bike off the dowel I simply push it off. I carry a neoprene glove for when the bike is filthy.

I find this more convenient than checking a section of chain every time I stop.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2020, 07:18 AM »
I spray what I can see aftre a days ride, not perfect but works ok, but its a while since i was doing high mileage days
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline Sylvester

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2018 KLE 300 CHF
  • City / Town: Chorleywood
« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2020, 07:41 AM »
I remember seeing Vulcanmaster doing this (spraying the visible portion of the chain) at an NVM.
Ride as if your life depended on it.

Online Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2020, 02:08 PM »
if i'm away and riding all day and its raining i use that method, maybe every 100 miles, or definately at fuel stops, usually ok if dry roads though, just do it every morning for up to 400 mile days

Robs method i use at home, its easy and not much hassle
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2020, 02:08 PM by Wal »

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2020, 10:38 AM »
I've tried the 'spray only the visible parts' for the entirety of last year when touring around Scotland and the Isle of Man, only because I was in a group of three and didn't want to hold everyone up doing the spray-push-bend dance across garage forecourts.

Did it work? Kind of but perhaps not.  I changed my chain this year (within 2k miles of ending this method) due to a seized link. It was due a change anyway but I can't help but think that it's more than a coincidence that this method ended up in a new chain.

Was it easier? Yes.

What were the other effects? Messy, my swing arm inevitably got caked in sticky aerosol chain lube. It cost more, as I used an entire tin of expensive spray lube in one year of riding instead of the usual EP90 gear oil that I've had a bottle of for years. No peace of mind, I didn't trust it so ended up constantly checking my chain at every stop (not a bad thing given your recent chain link experience?).

Would I do it again? In a pinch, but I've now installed a simple Loobman oiler which I can control manually, so I know when and how much oil the chain gets. Still carry a tin of spray lube but just as a back up.

The longest a chain has lasted for me is 16k miles, which was entirely lubed at home after every tank fill (200 miles or so) on a paddock stand, cleaned with paraffin and manually oiled every link with EP90 gear oil. For me this was the cheapest, cleanest and most effective method but useless for long tours.

Compared to Uralrob's method, I was massively over oiling the chain. So other rider's experience varies.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2020, 11:45 AM »

When I oil I tend to overspray. The left side of the muffler is always coated with a baked layer of chain lube and grime and the left side of the rim is often pretty cruddy. However, the latter is easily cleaned with WD40, a rag and a few spins of the wheel.

Rob.

Offline Sylvester

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2018 KLE 300 CHF
  • City / Town: Chorleywood
« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2020, 11:53 AM »
I was always very careful with my chain.  When I bought the bike, it had a Scottoiler fitted, and I used it for a while.  But, no matter how I adjusted it, it threw oil everywhere, so I stopped using it.  Instead, every 300-500 miles I would clean the chain (with paraffin), leave it to dry, warm it and finally respray with (Wurth) chain wax.  On long trips, I would just spray every 300'ish miles.  My chain lasted 21k miles before replacement.  I'm not sure, but I think that the chain was the original OEM chain that came with the bike.

But, I have a neighbour who simply can't be bothered with all that.  He DOES re-lube his chain whenever he remembers, probably every 500-800 miles, but his philosophy is just to replace his chain (and front sprocket) every 10k miles.  He's richer than me!
Ride as if your life depended on it.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2020, 12:01 PM »

I generally get around 30k km out of a chain. Some get replaced early, such as before going long haul.

Rob.

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2020, 12:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sylvester [+]
I was always very careful with my chain.  When I bought the bike, it had a Scottoiler fitted, and I used it for a while.  But, no matter how I adjusted it, it threw oil everywhere, so I stopped using it.  Instead, every 300-500 miles I would clean the chain (with paraffin), leave it to dry, warm it and finally respray with (Wurth) chain wax.  On long trips, I would just spray every 300'ish miles.  My chain lasted 21k miles before replacement.  I'm not sure, but I think that the chain was the original OEM chain that came with the bike.

But, I have a neighbour who simply can't be bothered with all that.  He DOES re-lube his chain whenever he remembers, probably every 500-800 miles, but his philosophy is just to replace his chain (and front sprocket) every 10k miles.  He's richer than me!

I think I might be your neighbour