Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Brake pedal and shift lever positions  (Read 309 times)

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
Brake pedal and shift lever positions
« on: Jul 05, 2020, 09:35 PM »
Just gimme a sanity check please. It seems that I cannot adjust the foot controls as they would ideally be - shifter above the toe and brake under the toe while feet are resting on the footpegs naturally (not balls of feet but the arch above the footpeg). I have narrowed this problem down to the throw/travel of the pedals. When I adjust them as described, the shift lever needs to be lifted up too far (unnatural bend angle up to the point that I start missing shifts) and the brake pedal needs to be pressed too low. This leads to using the bike close to the setup it comes with from the factory - the gear lever is low so you are riding above it and dig down for shifts and the brake pedal is high so you ride beside it and rise your foot to operate the brake.

For starters, just tell me if I'm the only one or if this is a common problem. Then of course we can talk about the solutions, but nothing besides shortening the pedals comes to mind. It seems like the pedals are scaled for a foot size EU 45 or something, I see how it would work with enormous feet but with civilian size foot like EU 40 the travel of the pedals just seems too much or let's put it this way - they are too far to reach if you adjust them as they should be.

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
Re: Brake pedal and shift lever positions
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2020, 10:28 PM »
Probably - but as I have an EU 45 size foot I found them just right!

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2020, 11:50 PM »
my brake pedal is too low, i need to get around to raising it a bit, i adjusted my gear lever up a bit for my size 41 its ok now with my feet on the pegs as you say (on the arches)

you can always move the gear lever around 1 spline if need be to get more adjustment, although that sounds a bit drastic.....

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2020, 11:07 AM »
Size 40 is a very small shoe size, and judging by your description of your foot position I'm assuming you are proportionally 'built for speed' (ie. Marquez sized, not Baz sized), so perhaps about 5'5"/1.65m?

I'm 1.82m high and size 45 boot, the adjustments of both pedals worked for me, although it took me months of tiny adjustments to get it just right.

I don't think you're going mad, I think you're sitting on the outside edge of the ergonomic envelope. If so, I would assume shorter foot pedals are the only solution. I believe there are universal pedal kits that might work for you. Also, perhaps the gear shift from one of the other 650 twin Kwakkers might have shorter dimensions (Ninja, Vulcan etc.)? Just a guess.

PS - On a tour, a couple of years ago, I had some chewing gum stuck to the arch of gear shift side boot. I had to adjust my foot position to avoid this (onto the heel) and it was a bloody nightmare, so I understand your frustration.
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2020, 11:11 AM by jonnster71 »

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2020, 07:58 PM »
I agree, 40 is borderline undersized as my boot and shoe choices are always limited, only about quarter to third of men's footwear have 40, most start from 41. That being said, the bike is not necessarily a male-only device, in the female universe, 40 is quite a large foot which often belongs to tall women up to 180 cm. Anyway, I'm not exactly 165, rather 173 or something, so yes I am not nearly in the middle of the scale but should be well inside the lower end of the ergonomic envelope. It's not that my foot does not reach the gear lever while arch on peg, but as the foot acts as sort of a lever, a shorter foot has to achieve a more extreme toe-up angle than a longer foot to move the lever same distance up. Same goes with the brake pedal. Anyway, long story short, those saying shorter lever/pedal is better for smaller feet are probably correct. Now, can anyone confirm that the pedals are aluminium? Unless it is some unknown alloy, they should be simple things to disassemble over the winter and bring to someone with a TIG welder who can subtract some 10 millimetres from them.