Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Indicator/DRL replacement  (Read 548 times)

Offline emu

• Versys Newbie
Indicator/DRL replacement
« on: Jul 07, 2020, 11:44 AM »
Hello,

I've owned my 2016 V650 for a few weeks now and fitted a few extras in that time (basics like crash bars, bigger screen, huggers etc.). It's my second bike and I've been concerned about dropping it and cracking the fairing, plus I want some foglights/DRLs but I'm between jobs and don't want to spend the money on proper ones just now. So (please don't laugh) I found these and thought they sounded a great idea and for 13 are worth a punt - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VC4L3XS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They arrived yesterday and as you can see they come with 3 wires per indicator for the DRL/brakes. I haven't been down to the bike yet (it's in an underground carpark and I always have to go back-and-forth to my apartment a few times when I forget to take the right tools), but will I find all the plugs for these ready to plug in on the bike or will I need to add wiring? Any idea how difficult that'll be if so? I've wired a few car audio systems over the years so I'm pretty comfortable with automotive wiring. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Online Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
Re: Indicator/DRL replacement
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2020, 12:29 PM »
You can either cut off the Kawasaki connectors and fit bullets to take the new blinkers connectors (not what I'd do)
Or
Obtain the right connectors to suit the Kawasaki connectors. eg http://www.cycleterminal.com/050-connectors.html
Either way you will need to splice into the running lights / brake lights for the DRL / brake function of the new blinkers.
It is possible you will need to remove the indicator flasher relay and bypass it I have read of those style of flashers not working correctly with the flasher relay not bypassed. IE you need to provide 12v to the flashers to work not the interrupted supply from the relay.
I have no personal experience of this.
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2020, 12:34 PM by Maverick »

Offline emu

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2020, 12:40 PM »
Thanks Maverick. I won't be cutting any wires! I've been on the receiving end of that nonsense and don't want to put someone else through it - I'll get some of those connectors.

Bypassing the relay sounds straightforward enough, is this easily locatable?

As for splicing in to the DRL/brake wiring, any recommendations where would be best to do this?

Online Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2020, 12:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by emu [+]
Thanks Maverick. I won't be cutting any wires! I've been on the receiving end of that nonsense and don't want to put someone else through it - I'll get some of those connectors.

Bypassing the relay sounds straightforward enough, is this easily locatable?

As for splicing in to the DRL/brake wiring, any recommendations where would be best to do this?

Double check for yourself they are the right connectors I just did a quick search and that's what came up.

On the 2010 - 2014 Mk2 the relay is in the headlight area behind the cowl, I don't know about the 2016 sorry.

I'd use the "city light" (as Kawasaki call it) positive wire for the front and the taillight positive wire for the rear. Both are switched on with the key.

Personally I use posi taps to splice into wires for my money they are the best I have used.
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2020, 01:08 PM by Maverick »

Offline TFSkeleton

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2017 KLE650 FHFA
  • City / Town: Bournemouth
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2020, 07:24 PM »
2016 will have the relay behind the instrument panel as shown in the above post (I have a 2017) and it's in the same place. Really easy to bridge.

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2