Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: New 650 carrying Pillion  (Read 718 times)

Offline Brixhamboy

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650
New 650 carrying Pillion
« on: Jul 10, 2020, 06:30 PM »
Ive just purchased my brand new 650 today and love it.  I part exchanged it for my old Versys 650. I do enjoy the bikes and i find they are great commuters - i do about 60 miles a day 4 days a week.

My question is, when can I take a pillion on a brand new bike?  Ive done 30 miles so far.

Cheers

Offline kevin..in

• Versys God
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: stoke
Re: New 650 carrying Pillion
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2020, 07:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Brixhamboy [+]
Ive just purchased my brand new 650 today and love it.  I part exchanged it for my old Versys 650. I do enjoy the bikes and i find they are great commuters - i do about 60 miles a day 4 days a week.

My question is, when can I take a pillion on a brand new bike?  Ive done 30 miles so far.

Cheers
since when was there ever a restriction?

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2020, 07:55 PM »
There is no such restriction of course but it would be interesting to hear the explanation of why did you ever think so. Even more so because you say you owned a bike before, so you're not new to motorcycles.

That being said, pay attention to the rear spring preload adjustment. The manual says it comes from the factory two clicks out, but the recommended setting is 16 clicks without the pillion and 24 clicks (all the way) with pillion and luggage. Why does it come set to basically no preload, beats me, but the rear end is very soft if you don't change it. This also makes mirrors point down and headlights point to sky. Talking of which, the headlights are probably out of adjustment as dealers usually don't to a thorough pre sales inspection and setup as they're supposed to. Headlight bulbs are Osram Original line, if you ride in dark at all, replace them with Night Breaker Silver or similar, there is a difference. Damnit, now I just started listing everything I learned as a new Versys 650 owner year ago, there probably are a dozen small things like that to point out, but I cannot recall them all at once. Decals and rim tape can be removed with hot air gun; the factory chain is prone to crap out before 10k miles; the D222 tires are actually quite okay, no need to change before they wear out; when changing tires, have right angle valve stems fitted; the rear brake may squeal not while braking but just from the pads riding on the rotor, nothing will be done about that, it is a feature not a bug they say.

All these are niggles and items to know, the bike is actually reliable and long lasting, a simple no-bullsh#t utilitarian tool, not a fancy toy and money pump for the industry.
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2020, 08:01 PM by jkristjan »

Offline Brixhamboy

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2020, 10:54 PM »
Evening, thanks for your replies 😁.

I wasn’t sure if you’re supposed to carry pillion before engine had broken in. I thought seeing as in the manual you’re supposed to keep below 4000 revs for the first 600 miles, so thought carrying pillion would affect this.

I never carried a pillion on my last bike till the bike was broken in.

Thanks again 😁😁

Offline kevin..in

• Versys God
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2020, 05:04 AM »
It's not 1950 your versys is not a shonky old bsa, don't maul the engine ever but as long as your pillion isn't fatty arbuckle go and ride the thing.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2020, 02:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by kevin..in [+]
It's not 1950 your versys is not a shonky old bsa, don't maul the engine ever but as long as your pillion isn't fatty arbuckle go and ride the thing.

:86: :89:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline McVicar

• Versys Pro
  • Berrow, Somerset
  • Bike: 2018 GT
  • City / Town: Berrow, Somerset
« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2020, 08:06 AM »

"Fatty Arbuckle"   :008:   There's one for the kids.  :001:

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2020, 10:43 PM »

It must be jelly 'cause jam don't shake like that.

Offline kevin..in

• Versys God
« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2020, 08:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by McVicar [+]
"Fatty Arbuckle"   :008:   There's one for the kids.  :001:
Finger on the pulse and always down wid da yoot!

Offline McVicar

• Versys Pro
  • Berrow, Somerset
  • Bike: 2018 GT
  • City / Town: Berrow, Somerset
« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2020, 09:24 AM »
😂😂😂