Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Bike seal / Goop  (Read 434 times)

Offline oldleathers

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: MK2 versys 650
  • City / Town: Aberdaron
Bike seal / Goop
« on: Jul 10, 2020, 08:16 PM »
Bike Seal /Goop

Just had a pair of Bridgestone BT 023s fitted and I'm thinking of putting in tyre sealant either Bike seal at a whopping 30 quid or Goop at 8 quid. Has anyone had experience of this stuff? one review on Amazon complained about vibration.
I carry a Plug & Go kit with me which I have used in the past sometimes with great success and sometimes with slight air loss. So over to the panel of experts, what are your thoughts or experiences?

Cheers Oldleathers

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
Re: Bike seal / Goop
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2020, 08:39 PM »
Plug and Go everytime - and a breakdown service card as back-up!

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2020, 10:26 PM »

I'd avoid it.
  Tire changers hate it because of the mess it makes inside the tire  and rim. Also, as you mention, there could be balancing issues.

Sticky string and a small 12v compressor for me.

Rob.

Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Sylvester

• Versys God
  • Bike: Black (& Silver)
  • City / Town: Chorleywood
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2020, 06:27 AM »
I'm relying on a mobile phone coupled with an RAC Breakdown card to fix any flats that I have.  In the 'good ole days', when I had tubeless tyres, I only once fixed a flat - with sticky string - and was surprised at how effective it was.  After the side-of-the-road repair, I intended to just get to the nearest place that would fit a new tyre.  But it was a Sunday evening and I ended up riding 200 miles home.  I reckon I could have done another 1,000.
Ride as if your life depended on it.

Offline kevin..in

• Versys God
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: stoke
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2020, 08:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sylvester [+]
I'm relying on a mobile phone coupled with an RAC Breakdown card to fix any flats that I have.  In the 'good ole days', when I had tubeless tyres, I only once fixed a flat - with sticky string - and was surprised at how effective it was.  After the side-of-the-road repair, I intended to just get to the nearest place that would fit a new tyre.  But it was a Sunday evening and I ended up riding 200 miles home.  I reckon I could have done another 1,000.
think I last had a puncture in 1986 i'm really riding my luck!!

Offline Salty

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Fazer 600
  • City / Town: Wigan
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2020, 04:17 PM »
I always carry the AA/RAC type repair kit which has served me well on a couple occasions and would never consider tyre seal stuff.
UNTIL last year when I was steaming up the third lane of a four lane section of the M6 when my bike started squirming like a mad snake. I couldn't slow down as I had to weave through the traffic on the inside two lanes. I somehow made it to the hard shoulder and felt very lucky to be alive. The nearly new rear tyre was completely flat and was unrepairable because of side wall damage caused by having to ride on it. Whatever had caused the puncture was no longer in the hole which was probably why the trye deflated so quickly.
Anyway I now have Goop in my tyres 'cos that episode scared the crap out of me  :5: and  it makes absolutely no difference to the ride.
Some good info. here
Ken.

Offline oldleathers

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: MK2 versys 650
  • City / Town: Aberdaron
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2020, 07:39 PM »
Thanks for all your reply's.
You had a lucky escape Ken on the M6. Reassuring to hear Goop has no effect on the bike's handling, Good vid, Delboy's Garage is well regarded on youtube but I hadn't seen that one so cheers for that.
 Just before I had my new tyres  fitted the MOT guy pointed out I had a small piece of Steele in the back tyre but not losing any air. when I got home I pulled it out and was amazed it was a small staple, like out of a book or magazine, how on earth could a small soft staple puncture a Michelin tyre, I put a Plug and Go bung in but was losing about 4psi every couple of weeks and both back and front tyres were coming up to replacement so that was that.
Regards Oldleathers.

Offline anderson

• Versys Member
  • Bike: KLE 650 DDF
  • City / Town: Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2020, 04:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Salty [+]
I always carry the AA/RAC type repair kit which has served me well on a couple occasions and would never consider tyre seal stuff.
UNTIL last year when I was steaming up the third lane of a four lane section of the M6 when my bike started squirming like a mad snake. I couldn't slow down as I had to weave through the traffic on the inside two lanes. I somehow made it to the hard shoulder and felt very lucky to be alive. The nearly new rear tyre was completely flat and was unrepairable because of side wall damage caused by having to ride on it. Whatever had caused the puncture was no longer in the hole which was probably why the trye deflated so quickly.
Anyway I now have Goop in my tyres 'cos that episode scared the crap out of me  :5: and  it makes absolutely no difference to the ride.
Some good info. here

Del had Goop in his tyres until he hit something on the road and it tore such a big gash in his tyre that the goop couldn't perform and came pouring out. This left the road, the tyre and anything that came in contact with the Goop incredibly slippery, I think he nearly ended up on his arse just walking around trying to sort it. He said the mess was so bad on his bike etc he swore off the stuff. So if your tyre man doesn't mind the mess at new tyre time and you don't plan on having a large puncture Goop will do. Personally I use sticky worms or mushroom plugs.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.