Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Textile jacket recommendations sub 150  (Read 777 times)

Offline grumpyoldgit

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk1 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Swansea (ish)
Textile jacket recommendations sub 150
« on: Jul 11, 2020, 05:41 PM »
Thought I'd treat myself to a new Jacket, probably an Oxford Montreal 3.
I already have a Montreal 2 (jacket and trousers) which I bought 2nd hand in an emergency situation* last year, Comfy enough but a tad large for me.
Now having just bought a new Schuberth hat, and being ..ummm (cough)  between appointments, I can't splash out too much, but some things are necessary  :007:
I'm a fair-weather, part time, purely recreational rider and never voluntarily ride in the wet but I would like to stay warm and dry and don't want a lot of Pfaff, Just put jacket, boots and lid on and ride.

So before I hit the buy button, any other suggestions for a suitable jacket?

Thank you in advance gents.

*spur of the moment euro trip. I'd had the bike for about a month and it was going well. On a Thursday saw the weather was going to be nice the following week so booked a ferry for the Monday, found said jacket on Gumtree on the Friday and left on Sunday staying in a hotel in Canterbury for the early ferry on Monday. Back home one week and 1500 miles later  :152:

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
Re: Textile jacket recommendations sub 150
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2020, 06:25 PM »
If this Medium size fits  :027: its a good price - HERE

Otherwise any good shower proof / non waterproof jacket, and a cheap waterproof over jacket  :028:
Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now arranged for w/e 4th Sept - Details HERE :028:

Offline grumpyoldgit

• Versys Pro
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2020, 09:46 PM »
That is a nice looking jacket, pushing the sub 150 a bit , but a nice looking jacket. But I cant make head or tail of their sizes. I'm 6'2" and a 41/42 (inches) round the chest which in the Oxford and most other makes is an L or an XL.
42" = 106cm.
Triumphs size chart on that page with textiles size is XS = 108cm  :033:  Do they only cater for giants?

Is there a pocket in the back for ones flask of tea to feed that pipe?
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2020, 09:49 PM by grumpyoldgit »

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2020, 02:39 AM »
Oxford Montreal jacket you're looking at is Ride Best Buy, so worth the investment.

on sale in SBS :https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/386924

Weise is another brand worth considering in your price range, the Outlast liner is a good quality addition in a jacket this price range.

also on sale https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/277334

There's even an Alpine Stars jacket available, if you like the fluro look! https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/199104 (like the look of this one myself actually now)
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline oldleathers

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: MK2 versys 650
  • City / Town: Aberdaron
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2020, 04:41 PM »
I would recommend the Weise Outlast Houston Pro Air (black jacket with red air vent zips) I paid 179 but now 135 from sportsbikeshop. really comfortable jacket, main zip is the chunky YKK type which I always look for in a jacket, I'm a 41/42 inch chest and the medium 42" fits me perfect, bit more roomy with the removable outlast lining out but you can re-adjust the many straps. Arms may be a problem to someone your height, my arms measure 20.5" from under arm to wrist and it fits perfect probably get away with 22" arms     .https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/323641

Regards
Oldleathers

Offline grumpyoldgit

• Versys Pro
« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2020, 06:40 PM »
Cheers gents,
Slight hiccup in the plans - the missus' car needed a tyre and as I prefer to have a matching pair, there went this months spare change.
So my purchase is delayed 'til next month so keep the suggestions coming.

Offline grumpyoldgit

• Versys Pro
« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2020, 12:22 PM »
Update:

In the meantime I acquired a used Richa Storm jacket which was a nice good quality jacket with the only downside I could see being a lack of, (as in none) air vents. It was however a bit big for me in the chest in an XL.

So in my quest for a (British) summer jacket  I ordered an Oxford Toledo 2 in a Large @ 108. Nice basic jacket that doesn't visually scream I RIDE A BIKE! The only negative being a small/ fine/ less than chunky zip and a lack a weather flap beneath said zip. The front of the collar is also tad low too.  For me it was just on the small side, fine with a just T shirt but a too snug with a jumper.

So I ordered another couple of jackets, an Oxford Montreal 3 (115) in an XL and a Richa Phantom 2 (135) in an L.

The Montreal is a cracking jacket, if a little weighty, and if I planned to venture out in inclement weather or on a worldwide trek it would be a no brainer. For the money I don't think you'll find a better all season jacket.  :028:

The Richa is a less weighty and feels slightly better quality material, or more refined at least. It looks a bit smarter than the Montreal, a bit more city than safari. It is also for me the best fitting and most comfortable of the three jackets

As I don't have major expeditions planned and ride only on dry days, at least when I start out, I have plumped for the Richa which of course is the most expensive of the three  :138: but should last me a lifetime. Hopefully.

Just for info: With these jackets at least, the Richa size L is bigger than an Oxford L and more like if  fractionally smaller than an Oxford XL.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2020, 11:41 AM »
Glad you got it sorted and take it you managed to return all the others ok?

Trouble with a new jacket is...now you have to get new trousers, otherwise you'll look odd   :138:

Happy shopping  :152:

ps for anyone who's interested, here's a link to the jacket you did buy https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/378594
(Also avail in Fluro or Grey)

and here's Richa trousers for you to browse hahaha!
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/572/(all;product_rating;DESC;0-0;all)/page_0/max_20
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2020, 11:46 AM by Shandy »
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline grumpyoldgit

• Versys Pro
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2020, 12:05 PM »
Cheers Shandy.
Sportsbikeshop is where I got them from. Returns are no problem but take about two weeks as they don't open the boxes for ten days after return :033: Why they cant just wear a mask and gloves, check the return and then quarantine it I do not know?
So rather than order one, try it for size, return it, and wait for two weeks for them to send me the next size up or down, I just ordered in bulk and I'll wait for my refund whilst I have a new jacket.  :002:

As for trousers, I'll wait till I ever make any plans for a longer trip. In the meantime I have the obligatory pair under the seat for the surprises.

Offline MZ FANATIC

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 2011
  • City / Town: Sandhurst
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2020, 12:30 PM »
Have had a SPADA  jacket for years and really like it. I have the arms of a gibbon (no he is not getting them back) and the sleeves were one of the few i tried which were long enough for me.

If you want the "classic" look vintage speedwear do some great waxed cotton one's which are really good (I bought one and gave it a rave review) but always buy a size larger than you normally take as they come up tight otherwise.