Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Looking forward to the experience - 2013 Versys 650 KLE - Should I?  (Read 585 times)

Offline PeriphVision

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2013 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Halifax
 Hi all,

Some great contributors on her by the looks. Very useful as is all suggestions I can find so far about the Versys pretty much in general.

However if you experience what I imagine is my sort of luck, despite research, there's always a pit I can fall into so I'd appreciate any views and experience here.
I'm already totally committed and my 2013 Versys 650 KLE arrives in August so be gentle if there are any horrors to break, but I want to know if there are any.

Don't think it has the ABS. How major a problem is that never having had them before and knowing that I've already been able to catastrophically lock my non ABS 125's breaks.  :goggle: :notsure:

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
Hi and welcome to the forum,

The 2013 Versys is a fairly bomb-proof vehicle and you should not have any issues wth it.
With regards to ABS, most bikes back then did not have it , but it was being introduced.
May I suggest that you consider a further training course such as Bikesafe or IAM or ROSPA , as these courses will help towards more confident riding and better control of your motorcycle, and as many will say, a real benefit to all riders, however experienced.
Hope you enjoy your Versys

Dave T
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2020, 10:10 AM by Oldplodder »
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS

Welcome to the forum.

I have a 2014 650 with abs and 70 k km on it, and have never used the abs in anger.
My 2008 650 V. did not have abs and had considerably more km on it than the 2014, and I never got into trouble with it for want of abs.
 The Versys brakes are not the easiest to lock up, so with good tires you should be fine.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Online Galwayversys

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Few...
  • City / Town: Galway - Ireland
Yup, no abs on my 650 and no issue so far, I ride all ready round in all conditions.
This could be controversial advice, but one way to get over the fear is to try it. If you lock up the front for a fraction of a second while going slowly and perfectly straight, you'll learn what happens and you'll be ready for it. You need controlled conditions, but it's a worthwhile exercise.

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
Hi,
learn to spell brakes and we will get along fine.
Not many issues with the Versys, the stator is prone to failure one day although typically lots of miles down the road. Mine failed at approx 68,000 km. Keep the oil at the top of the sight glass to reduce chance of failure.
Chain maintenance is critical, keep it aligned, tensioned, clean and lubed and you will have few issues. Issues can include poor gear changes, noise and of course accelerated wear.
The left chain adjuster bolt should be removed, cleaned and treated with anti-seize regularly probably once a year, it is prone to seizing.
Minor things like vibration causing noises in the headlight cowl are annoying and if the bike is out in the weather a lot (not garaged or under cover) rust can be an issue and instrument buttons can fail. A bit of care will solve most issues.
The bike is reliable with a little car and a bloody brilliant all rounder, I replaced mine after 8 years with a Versys 1000, that's how much I like the Versys range.
Happy riding. :biker1:

P.S. the ABS while useful is an aid, if you learn to brake properly and train yourself to avoid situations it is rare you will miss it. Only once in 8 years I activated the rear ABS on mine.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2020, 06:55 AM by Maverick »

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God

"The bike is reliable with a little car "

:2:  :2:

Rob.

Offline Sylvester

• Versys God
  • Bike: Black (& Silver)
  • City / Town: Chorleywood
I had my 2010 Versys for five years (2014-2020) and it NEVER missed a beat.  Standard services (typically 80-150 a time) and regular chain cleaning.  It was always 100% reliable, 100% practical and (most importantly of all) 100% fun.  Mine didn't have ABS (not sure if it was even available in 2010).  I never did lock up the front wheel, but I did lock up the rear one night during particularly miserable weather.  I don't think that ABS would have helped though because the conditions were really awful.
Ride as if your life depended on it.

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

"The bike is reliable with a little car "

:2:  :2:

Rob.

:008: obviously care was the intended word, why can't I change my own posts now?

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God

Because you only get an hour to do it .... and you guys are way out of time  :008: .

Rob.

Offline PeriphVision

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2013 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Halifax
Genuine thanks to all for the time and feedback.

Bike and forum, despite spelling and no doubt grammar issues, really bodes well! As long as we're getting the nuts and bolts right, we might be able to pick out the message and still and have a laugh.  :008:

Current, as you will understand VERY BORING problem . . . Oh is it not August yet! . . tick . . .tick . . . tick . . .

'Honley' HD2' 125, Don't curse! I'm on near poverty wages. 650 a couple of years ago. I've had em before. They are the 'ROLEX' of 125s. Part for part an interchangeable Chinese copy of a Yamaha YBR. Possibly about as much bang for the buck you can get on a 125 unless anyone knows different?

A good deal but oldish when I got it. All the shopping on an overlarge box for it, commuting and just about everything transport a few years later.
Battery not charging! Some hairy inadvisable night rides back home when caught out by the problem.

Badly rusted on terminals of 'the little two terminal plastic box' (sorry) next to the battery. Cleaned that off. Still same. Of course I re-charge the battery when necessary before seeing if I've found the problem. I have had stator issues on a previous one. Thinking could be that but don't want to be spending on this still rather good but valueless piece at this Versys baited breath status.

You could say ride in daylight where you can and just keep charging the battery until the V dawns on the doorstep, just scrap the China copy. But you get to like em don't ya and I wouldn't want to pass on the problem to an unknowing, unsuspecting very financially poor person like me.

Although I get the Versys first week of August I won't be able to ride it legally on public roads for A WHILE(!) because of COVID related delays in the test procedures!

Is magic possible here? 'FOFO'? Or just "Let it Go Man!"

Cheers
Paul

PS How's the spelling Mavs? Oh and what sort of 'little car' do you have to transport your Versys in? I'd hoped to have left all that sort of thing behind with the 125  :008: