Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Puncture repair kit  (Read 704 times)

Offline jdoyle

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Dublin
Re: Puncture repair kit
« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 2020, 07:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

I have one very similar. It and a sticky string kit live in a zip pouch along with a lift stick for the rear wheel and a basic first aid kit in the right panier.

Rob.
First aid kit is something I had overlooked
Cheers :-)
J

Offline Hairy_Weasel

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2020, 08:37 PM »
The Rema tip top kit let me down big style and the co2 canisters are useless. West Coast of Scotland, no phone signal, puncture. Fixed it with the kit, 1 mile later its flat again, second patch and last of the co2 and it went down again. Boshed a can of tyre seal in and it went down again.
10 hours later I'm recovered back to Leeds.

Sticky string is where its at, I had a hole in the back tyre big enough to put my finger through on top of the hardknott pass, I wedged 3 bits of string in it and it got me home. (not recommend but worked)
Compressor wise I stripped the plastic case off one and the internals were small enough to go under the seat.

Offline Sylvester

• Versys God
  • Bike: Black (& Silver)
  • City / Town: Chorleywood
« Reply #12 on: Jul 14, 2020, 09:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hairy_Weasel [+]
Compressor wise I stripped the plastic case off one and the internals were small enough to go under the seat.

Really?
Ride as if your life depended on it.

Offline Hairy_Weasel

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2020, 05:13 AM »
Yep. It was small to start with but once the case was removed it was about a 2 inch by 2 inch L shape.
Keep your fingers clear of the moving bits and hold it with something like a leatherman and your good to go.

Offline Sylvester

• Versys God
  • Bike: Black (& Silver)
  • City / Town: Chorleywood
« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2020, 05:53 AM »
Yep. It was small to start with but once the case was removed it was about a 2 inch by 2 inch L shape.
Keep your fingers clear of the moving bits and hold it with something like a leatherman and your good to go.

Hmm!  Now, I gotta look for myself.
Ride as if your life depended on it.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #15 on: Jul 16, 2020, 04:28 PM »

Yeah, that used to be very common when the plastic casings were much bigger than the internals.  There used to be (maybe still is?) a guy here in teh US that sold stripped and repackaged (lightly, just to make it easier to store) compressors that would fit under the seat, as you said.   I suppose you can probably still find some that are. 

I have an AirMan Sparrow (now called Tour in the latest version) which is small enough not to bother stripping the plastics.  Gets the tire inflated better than any other portable compressor I've had.

And +1 to the sticky strings.  Just remember to get new ones every few years, as they dry out and would seal as well.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline healdem

• Versys God
  • Macclesfield, Cheshire
  • Bike: '11 Tiger800 ABS
« Reply #16 on: Jul 16, 2020, 10:32 PM »
Persoanlly I never got on with the sticky string. I have had success with the mushroom plug 'repairs'. see:- https://www.google.com/search?q=mushroom+plug+repair+kit
Also electric compressor is in my books a better idea.... assuming you have the space.. Why?
..as long as you have power you have the ability to pump up your tyres, where as with C02 cylinders are finite.
..cylinders get very very cold when using, can catch the unwary out

I've had a mushroom plug in a tyre for 4,000+ miles with no leakage, no problems.