Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: A Bike Security Chain Scandal???  (Read 6570 times)

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
Re: A Bike Security Chain Scandal???
« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2020, 11:00 PM »
Did I mention to you guys that I do own a motorcycle disc lock, but I have no idea where in the garage it's hiding?   And that I leave my bikes with the key in the ignition when parked in the garage?   (you never misplace the keys  :4:)   And, when traveling, I have walked away from the bike to a vista point, lunch, etc. only to come back and realize I had left the key in the ignition all that time at least once a day...   :138:   

I live a charmed life.   :biker1:

Or maybe nobody around here wants a an old Versys...   :notsure:   :015:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline mac one

• Versys God
« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2020, 12:13 AM »
I once owned a Renault 5 with the key stuck in the ignition and still no bugger would steal it.

Offline PeriphVision

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2013 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Halifax
Re: Gustavo. A Bike Security Chain Scandal???
« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2020, 12:24 AM »
Gustavo. You must live somewhere really nice I'm imagining?

I too have done that finding I've left the keys in business and got away with it. Most people here are still nice! Whatever the 'UK' looks like from abroad these days anyway....?  Er hmm!

But every day mate!!! I don't have a garage, renting, public roadside often only option.

Just imagine though, on the biggest potential issue of all this? Apart from any individual personal grievances I might have 'gone on ' about too much....

Whether we have a bike or not. With need of a need of an ACTUAL security chain or not...

If you have insurance at all you're being robbed as they take No losses!

The results of crime being successful doesn't mean bad things for all classes or 'professional' groups purporting to serve Society (With a Big S.)  if you get my drift?

Maybe you're Italian? and therefore tend to know this more than us 'brits' Yet (the ones with the small B - who are generally the only ones worth talking to! Not always OK. I'll talk with anybody just about.)

Adventure travel Versys motorcycling issues! That's what this is all for isn't it?...

Probably never happen but I'm in to it! Italian village... Nice people obviously! A visit and ride out in the Italian countryside.... Ahhhhh what a great trip that would be if someone better than me could organise it!?

Am I way off mark and Gustavo is Brian from Leeds or something?
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2020, 12:28 AM by PeriphVision »

Offline PeriphVision

• Versys Member
« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2020, 04:52 AM »
 :031: This could be good or nothing!  :celebrate:

What a fantastic site I have to say. . . Well done to whoever it is that constructed and maintains it!!! !  And What a great set of emojis. Sometimes a love or hate thing I know.

AND MY Versys hasn't even arrived yet ! ! , , , , tick  . . . tick . . . .tick. So as, no offence. As I can't be doing the actual riding one yet,  I have to be sat on here almost 24/7 bothering all you friendly "bogey bums" about the so called 'security' chains. as a poor substitute. :25: Oh yes I've got a proper INVULNERABLE to bolt croppers one!  :015: But not the bike. :003: (The 1980s UK TV Show? and Genius Comic? . .  anybody?).

If your 'paranoia' hairs can twitch, and often yes over-twitch at times particularly in times like these. It can just be a bit darkly funny to think these things through and that's all it is.

IT COULD ALL GO VERY WRONG! :5: or just funny in concept. It would indeed become something else if something strange happened.

How many million . . . .£££EEE$$$ More is it? Yup! at stake here if we're on to anything at all??? Now I wouldn't want to libel anyone or any organisation but there's some at least 'circumstantial' stuff that could maybe bring a case to answer rather better than say  . . .

'The Birmingham Six' Case?
'The Guilford Four' Case?

There are many more . . . .Like the famous phrase about chains I bet you know that as well!

The fairly weak minded people that get set up, encouraged with the offers of funding and exploding equipment in entrapment cases that 'Anti-Terror Police' 'Intelligence Agencies' 'News'papers' and the BBC etc then champion as great successes in the fight against terrorism and the reason we must give up our rights and money for more bombs an surveillance.

Related:
Chris Morris another comedy hero and writer, central performer of BRASS EYE (Stream on All4 in the uk.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/brass-eye

Hilarious takedown of mainstream media. Not hilariously the show was stopped after the first episode of the second series - IT WAS THAT GOOD! 

Maybe? I DON'T really think this is going to happen. I'm mad but no madder :124: :211: Is the spirit of the above works.

'They' might decide the big circle j*rk of the big rip off is so important 'they' might actually target Almax chains where ever they are sold!

I'll sleep soundly . . . smugly . . . WITH MI CHAIN ON!

Wake up the next morning to find . . . . Wait for it . . . .My oh so precious bike I've not even ridden yet has been stolen and the not so valuable but now extremely embarrassing chain that I wouldn't want to go on about anymore, has been cut with 'military grade thermite charges'. That's too mad isn't it?

You'd hear it there'd be evidence!???

Now what's all that about on a motorcycle forum? :187: :31:
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2020, 05:05 AM by PeriphVision »

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2020, 06:34 AM »
You imagine correctly, I live somewhere very nice, despite the best efforts of our current govt to kill us (or at least, let us be killed by this virus).  And even though I do have a funny accent, it's not Eyetalian...    :008:

Back on topic, I haven't seen my Versys in 5 months.  It definitely didn't have a security chain on when I parked it, but I assume it's still there...   :027:

:031:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
Re: Gustavo. A Bike Security Chain Scandal???
« Reply #15 on: Jul 17, 2020, 08:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by PeriphVision [+]
Gustavo. You must live somewhere really nice I'm imagining?

Am I way off mark and Gustavo is Brian from Leeds or something?
Well off the mark as he's our annoying friendly American cousin who for us is luckily kept in check by our Canadian Elder statesman.  :015:

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #16 on: Jul 17, 2020, 01:14 PM »

He actually lives in Bognor and takes for ever getting going in the mornings because of the length of time it takes him to wind up the rubber band on his prototype V 650.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline PeriphVision

• Versys Member
« Reply #17 on: Jul 17, 2020, 03:25 PM »
Oh we got to meet up sometime.

Told my mates about the Versys and this site. They are a bit richer than me, but my BRO's from Junior School love em, we're in our 50's now!

Bikes! Bikes! It IS ABOUT BIKES

Before all this  '...---... ...---...'  Sort of stuff. :notsure: :2: :31: That I do research . . . They know that . . . But they, being your best mates, they don't always want to get what you thinks good. Don't know about some of your besties? Any funny sad experiences you have of that going either way might be good? ? ?

THEY SEEM PRETTY FIXED ON GETTING (very probably newer than my 2013 18,000ml Versys) HONDA CB500X's!

Now I'm here aren't I? I might expect a biased opinion but I'm starting to think this might be an even better site than I thought with better folk on it. :123A: :031:

We've all been riding YBR 125s for a bit now. Me longest on my, annoyingly STILL current YBR clone 'Honley HD2' (£650 three years ago! I said I wasn't as well off didn't I). Mate 1, (hopefully they might introduce themselves in a bit, if we persuade them.)  Said:

Mate 1  'I'm thinking of getting a Honda. My Honda Scooter was that good'

Mate 2: ' Yeah so was mine'  (I NEVER HAD ONE! I remember 'Quadrophenia'  :123A:  :008:)

Now Honda fans I'm not saying they're bad! Before anyone starts. So what are we planing to use them for?

Well there's those dreams . . . Gustavo! Nothing against where you are, and sometimes not, obviously, the majority of its people. It is the case I'm sure, we're all pretty much the same! But I preferred the 'Eyetalian' dream. (and rather more the 1917 - 1921 Russian one. But that's another too long story for here probably)

Mainly though it's the usual in the UK road driving. Two of us used to do a little off road. On a Suzuki TS 185  :008: remember them? Oh ho ho! I've had to edit (great site) this far in cos I've just remembered before the TS there was a FS1E !!! We 'off rode' Ha Ha! No we didn't nick em!

So a bit of old lad soft off road stuff but not much, is envisioned as possible. Existing little farm house in France one of us owns, and something in Bulgaria.

I'm aware that the bigger front wheel of the Honda makes it more suited to the off road stuff but . . . .The Versys seems pretty capable??? Better road bike hands down. But I'm finding that difficult to persuade them strangely!

And comparator advice from experienced people, I like.

Finally to wrench back to the General subject of this post!

I BET THEY WON'T BUY A PROPER SECURITY CHAIN EITHER!  :008:
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2020, 04:10 PM by PeriphVision »

Offline PeriphVision

• Versys Member
« Reply #18 on: Jul 17, 2020, 04:39 PM »
I detect Admin worries. Don't be. I've really no commercial interest in promoting any company here and I wouldn't want to get blocked.

I'll be better soon, when my bike arrives and I'll try just to keep it about Bikes only  :180: :027: and in the right section and all that. Just trying to be helpful and amusing. :31:

Offline Sylvester

• Versys God
  • Bike: Black (& Silver)
  • City / Town: Chorleywood
« Reply #19 on: Jul 17, 2020, 04:41 PM »
I was pretty close to buying a CB500X.  I sat down and did a comparison (because I can, on occasion, be a little overly analytical).  I graded the CB500X, ER6F, V650 and V300X against: Price, Power, Comfort, Fuel Consumption, Tank Range, Riding Position, Instrumentation, Flexibility (road vs 'light' offroad/green lanes).  V650 was top for me, followed by V300x, followed by CB500X.  Of course, the whole process was just wrapping a thin veil of science around a subjective (and emotive) process.  But, it worked for me!
Ride as if your life depended on it.