Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: A Bike Security Chain Scandal???  (Read 2244 times)

Offline PeriphVision

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2013 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Halifax
A Bike Security Chain Scandal???
« on: Jul 14, 2020, 05:21 PM »
Being certainly a newbie to motorcycle mechanics but not motorcycles per se, I do have some unfortunate experience with frankly rubbish seconds to bolt cut security chains and three bikes stolen.

The Oxfords, the Squires, the 'Monsters' etc . . . .All the rest of the 'Thatchem Approved' manufacturers chains perhaps?

I'm being careful here not to mention the name of the the manufacturer I would suggest is okay! But I don't think it's that well known. Took a bit of research to find.

Being aware there may be forum rules I haven't read that might preclude any product promotion or the 'dissing' of other products, (?) i'm not now naming them. I do not work for or have any financial interest in the company! It's just I'd like bikers and the rest of us not to be lied to by the 'great and good' and our pride and joys (partners kids and pets included) to be safe.

Would anyone like to guess which companies chains seem the only sensible ones to choose? Have a proper search for unbreakable chains. I could maybe reply with a suitable emoji?

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
Re: A Bike Security Chain Scandal???
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2020, 05:35 AM »
If you’re worried about it, why not add a link? 😀
I'm sorry, really bad reception here, you said your name was Dr. who?

Offline oldleathers

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: MK2 versys 650
  • City / Town: Aberdaron
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2020, 11:00 AM »
Guessing Pragmasis Protector, for best chain, just need to speak to the bank manager or remortgage your house to buy one but less then having your bike nicked!!

Oldleathers

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2020, 11:28 AM »
Can't see anything wrong in you reviewing your personal purchases, so long as you're not getting an incentive from the supplier. Honest opinions are welcome, appreciated and I believe legal whilst we still have freedom of speech.

Offline PeriphVision

• Versys Member
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2020, 11:36 AM »
Don't know about those for how many seconds it takes to bolt crop or sledge hammer, but there are those costing £300 that are no problem to slice.

Find a comparator here.

https://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/wall-of-shame

Bennets have also independently rigorously tested and failed to break. Have a look! The after-sales is about the best I've experienced on buying anything. Not really cheap to buy but a damn sight cheaper than the 300 quiders and you don't lose your bike. Very sad looking at the broken chain you paid a lot for and were assured was okay!

The chap who demos em at Almax seems to want to break chains as a hobby and has tipped the many broken links of 'guaranteed' chains on the desks of the official regulation bodies who basically are in some cabal with the industry, insurance companies and the 'Private!' organisation that is 'The Association of Chief Police Officers'. The poor fellas been bullied into NDA (Non Disclosure) legal straight jackets, about certain meetings, events and eventualities!

A right depressing tale I can tell you. Or why not give em a call they might even tell you all about it. That sure they are of their products and the armour of verifiable truth they have protected themselves with!
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2020, 12:14 PM by PeriphVision »

Offline Sylvester

• Versys God
  • Bike: Black (& Silver)
  • City / Town: Chorleywood
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2020, 01:29 PM »
My Versys had an Oxford Monster Chain and an Abus Granite 68 disk lock.  Both seemed to present zero problem to the thieves that took it.   My bike was in great condition, but I admit that I was surprised that a 10-year-old Versys would be the target of (professional) motorcycle thieves.
Ride as if your life depended on it.

Offline PeriphVision

• Versys Member
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2020, 01:30 PM »
(A.C.P.O).The bosses of coppers! The dilemma of every honest copper!

ETHICALLY WORSE THAN THE DAFT LADS WHO NICK OUR 'SMALL' STUFF!

THOSE TYPE OF BIG 'LEGAL' CRIMINALS NICK A LOT MORE OFF US ALL! I PROBABLY DON'T NEED TO TELL YA THAT! 😉👍

Offline PeriphVision

• Versys Member
« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2020, 02:14 PM »
YEAH! I absolutely confirm I have NO financial or other connection with Almax than the fact I have discovered them and am intensely interested in the issue. Partly as it relates to other subjects.

Directly related, I've lost hundreds of pounds on false promises of 'security' 'backed by the Police' that I can't afford to lose any more paying a bunch of charlatans in the smartest of suits! Don't know about you?

How about more horror stories here of how people have lost their valuables in this way? It might be painful to remember and recount but I might even tip them the link to versys.co.uk to Almax depending how it goes. ? ? ? They may even be able to crowd-fund a fancy Barrister to challenge and embarrass those dodgy, comfy, complacent suits!

That would be a good claim for the site!

Or we might just all get a coffee from a Barrister I don't know.

Here's only one of my own horror stories . . .

I HAD ONE OF THE OXFORD CHAINS

Didn't notice at first. . . with the assurances on the label of course!

Is there a well known phrase about chains in general YOU KNOW OF? Well there's only one I know of, even before becoming a bit anal about this.

You've heard it!

Can any chain manufacturer, worthy of the right to manufacture what they, the police and insurance companies confirm to us are 'security chains' not know this phrase???!!!!

Well . . . .There was a little link that connected the lock to the chain! Very obvious! Remembered that phrase and was furious as I was looking at an empty parking space with the little link cut almost as if scissors could have done it!

WHAT A FOOL I FELT! . . .ME! . . . .WHY? . . WELL THOSE WHO GO TO THE 'RIGHT' SCHOOLS GET TO KNOW A BIT OF A DIFFERENT LANGUAGE. . .

'ET CAVEAT EMPTOR' Being Latin, it makes it clever and okay, particularly if you've been to those schools, to diddle folks worse than petty criminals.

'A CHAIN IS ONLY AS GOOD AS ITS WEAKEST LINK' There's even a popular quiz show based on the well known phrase!

Sorry I'm shouting aren't I? Well . . .it makes me very angry!
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2020, 02:15 PM by PeriphVision »

Offline STOKIE

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2009 versys 650
  • City / Town: Stoke on Trent
« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2020, 02:21 PM »
And breatheeeeeeee.  :125:

Offline PeriphVision

• Versys Member
« Reply #9 on: Jul 15, 2020, 02:37 PM »
Doing it now for a change, breathing :008:. It's nice but the pollution is rapidly making it a worse experience.