Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Mot  (Read 1180 times)

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God
Re: Mot
« Reply #10 on: Aug 07, 2020, 05:21 PM »
Thanks will be in touch with them
Jim

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2020, 03:56 PM »
I got in touch with maxton and to change front and rear suspension will be about 1300 They are in Cheshire which means staying for 2nights.Im not going to go ahead with it as I'm about to have the cataract op which means I won't be riding through September.I would be lucky to have good weather to be able to get away in October.Anyway I'm downsizing to a 300 versys but can't decide whether to do it now or. wait till next year .If anyone is looking for a Versys get in touch
Jim

Offline Sylvester

• Versys God
  • Bike: Black (& Silver)
  • City / Town: Chorleywood
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2020, 04:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by jim ballantyne [+]
Anyway I'm downsizing to a 300 versys but can't decide whether to do it now or. wait till next year.

Jim - couple of quick points re. the V3X.

(1)  The suspension is stiff.  I found it to be stiffer than my 650.
(2)  The seat is incredibly hard.  There is not very much padding there at all.
(3)  The ride height is about the same as the 650.  It is not a 'smaller' bike in terms of dimensions.
Ride as if your life depended on it.

Offline gushud

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650 2010
  • City / Town: Darlington
« Reply #13 on: Aug 26, 2020, 04:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sylvester [+]
Jim - couple of quick points re. the V3X.

(1)  The suspension is stiff.  I found it to be stiffer than my 650.
(2)  The seat is incredibly hard.  There is not very much padding there at all.
(3)  The ride height is about the same as the 650.  It is not a 'smaller' bike in terms of dimensions.

I have the lowered gel seat on my Vx3 it was on when I bought it, found it more comfortable than the lowered gel seat on the V650.
I have also found the height is lower with the seat, I'm 5'10 & 30 inch inside leg and I can flat foot both feet. The suspension is a little stiffer
with no adjustment on front and access to rear spring is restricted, but I've left mine as it came and found 2-3 hour stints ok, the Vx3
is less vibey  than my mk2 was and the engine is a peach. I have found it is a cracker in town & on the twisties very flickable.

Offline Sylvester

• Versys God
  • Bike: Black (& Silver)
  • City / Town: Chorleywood
« Reply #14 on: Aug 26, 2020, 04:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by gushud [+]
I have the lowered gel seat on my Vx3 it was on when I bought it, found it more comfortable than the lowered gel seat on the V650.
I have also found the height is lower with the seat, I'm 5'10 & 30 inch inside leg and I can flat foot both feet. The suspension is a little stiffer
with no adjustment on front and access to rear spring is restricted, but I've left mine as it came and found 2-3 hour stints ok, the Vx3
is less vibey  than my mk2 was and the engine is a peach. I have found it is a cracker in town & on the twisties very flickable.

I have the lowered gel seat too ... also on when I bought it.  Dunno if it's the same as yours (OEM part number 53066-0547).  It IS lower (1-2cm maybe), but I found it EVEN HARDER than the standard seat.  So, I ride with the standard seat fitted.  If there's a better seat for the VX3, I'd love to know about it.
Ride as if your life depended on it.

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #15 on: Aug 26, 2020, 05:14 PM »
Jim

My suggestions for your V650 - Which is identical to mine  :031:

1. Send your seat off to CM seats and get them to lower the seat and make it comfortable by putting in their gelastic insert - Cost about 230  :028:
www.cmseats.co.uk and speak to Ross Hunter  :031:

2. Don't worry about the front forks so much at this point, but definitely replace the back shock with a Wilbers 540 or 640 Road shock  :7:
www.revsracing.co.uk - Cost ~400 to 500 depending on which one you go for  :028:
They may even have something cheaper they as they do a lot of different shocks / springs for the front and rear units  :027:
Richard    :001: 

Offline kevin..in

• Versys God
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: stoke
« Reply #16 on: Aug 26, 2020, 06:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
Jim

My suggestions for your V650 - Which is identical to mine  :031:

1. Send your seat off to CM seats and get them to lower the seat and make it comfortable by putting in their gelastic insert - Cost about 230  :028:
www.cmseats.co.uk and speak to Ross Hunter  :031:

2. Don't worry about the front forks so much at this point, but definitely replace the back shock with a Wilbers 540 or 640 Road shock  :7:
www.revsracing.co.uk - Cost ~400 to 500 depending on which one you go for  :028:
They may even have something cheaper they as they do a lot of different shocks / springs for the front and rear units  :027:
I have CM seat and wilbers shock and front springs on mine
Totally recomended

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #17 on: Aug 26, 2020, 08:00 PM »
Jim, no shame in going for an exec scooter. Comfort in buckets, practical, cheap and can get you every where you go on a Versys.

Give yourself a break from the farkling, maintenance merry go round and just enjoy a bit of easy going, 2 wheel fun.

You deserve it.

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #18 on: Aug 26, 2020, 08:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by jonnster71 [+]
Jim, no shame in going for an exec scooter. Comfort in buckets, practical, cheap and can get you every where you go on a Versys.

Give yourself a break from the farkling, maintenance merry go round and just enjoy a bit of easy going, 2 wheel fun.

You deserve it.

The man speaks sense.
I can easily see myself on a comfortable armchair on wheels scooter in my dotage, about 5 years from now.

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God
« Reply #19 on: Aug 26, 2020, 10:17 PM »
Wow thanks for all your suggestions and it looks like the v300 isn't the bike for me.Have to get my thinking cap on but hand on heart I love my Versys best bike I've ever had so it looks like the modified seat and shock is the way to go.Is it a simple job to fit a rear shock?
Jim