Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Rear Preload Adjuster Help  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
Re: Rear Preload Adjuster Help
« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2020, 04:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by NIVersysOwner [+]
Oh? Isnít the weight still on the shock? I understand the weight being off the tyre but the shock is on the swing-arm which is still on the stand.

I thought they put the adjuster there so that it could be adjusted on the fly?

Nope, not on the fly.  It's actually frowned upon by all manufacturers.  They want you to buy the one with the electronic adjustment for that...   :008:

Seriously, while on some bikes you may be able to reach the adjuster while riding, it's not designed for that.  Removing the load as Maverick mentioned helps, but there probably is a lot of grime there.  My old V-Strom used to accumulate grime in that area from riding off-road, once in a while I'd take the entire thing apart and clean it, some WD-40 and it would work well after that (the new one has had the current shock on it for 22K miles, and it still works as well as new...  :027:).  Can the adjuster be taken off w/o removing the shock?  You may have to remove that plastic piece above it for easier access.  With the adjuster removed from the bike, it may be easier to clean the grime out.  Also, the V-Strom allows you to easily remove the knob, to get access to clean the grime that  accumulates there.  I don't see a holding screw in that picture.  Maybe it just screws off?

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline NIVersysOwner

• Versys Pro
  • Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
  • Bike: V 650 GT 2018
  • City / Town: The NORTH!!!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 2020, 06:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
Nope, not on the fly.  It's actually frowned upon by all manufacturers.  They want you to buy the one with the electronic adjustment for that...   :008:

Seriously, while on some bikes you may be able to reach the adjuster while riding, it's not designed for that.  Removing the load as Maverick mentioned helps, but there probably is a lot of grime there.  My old V-Strom used to accumulate grime in that area from riding off-road, once in a while I'd take the entire thing apart and clean it, some WD-40 and it would work well after that (the new one has had the current shock on it for 22K miles, and it still works as well as new...  :027:).  Can the adjuster be taken off w/o removing the shock?  You may have to remove that plastic piece above it for easier access.  With the adjuster removed from the bike, it may be easier to clean the grime out.  Also, the V-Strom allows you to easily remove the knob, to get access to clean the grime that  accumulates there.  I don't see a holding screw in that picture.  Maybe it just screws off?

Gustavo

When I say on the fly I donít mean as I am riding the bike. I mean when I stop to pick up a pillion or shopping etc it can be adjusted at the roadside without the need for tools and a paddock stand.

It doesnít screw off that I can see. It stopped at each end of the turns left and right when it did work correctly.
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!
1st ever Strap-on award winner!!!
2019!!!

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 2020, 09:16 PM »
On the V1K we have the same pre-load adjuster.  :031:
It is a known problem that if you do not keep it lubricated it gums up  :33:
Use penetrating oil to free it off and to stop it from gumming up put a heavy grease on the knobs shaft and also stretch a balloon over it to protect it.  :7:

or Rebecca can give you an old prophylactic instead   :107:
Richard    :001: 

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2020, 02:17 PM »
Mine got very stiff, I almost couldn't move it. I think it was because it hadn't been touched since last year and road crud had got in.

I removed the two bolts that hold it in place and then while it was hanging down (think knob at the bottom like a flaccid whatsit) squirted a good big dose of penetrating oil between the case and the knob. Left it for a while and gave it another burst. Left it for a bit longer and then put it back on.

That did the trick, and once I turned it a little way it started to free up, so I wound it in and out fully a couple of times and it's fine now.