Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Warm right leg?  (Read 6443 times)

Offline grumpyoldgit

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk1 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Swansea (ish)
Warm right leg?
« on: Aug 11, 2020, 03:52 PM »
Does the V tend to run on the warm side?  :027:

OK it was a hot day, one of the hottest this year I think Derek the weathersheep said, and I was stuck in a bit of traffic here and there and I even noticed the fan coming on in traffic which is a first for me, but towards the end of the ride I did find myself man-splaying a bit to cool my right inner thigh down a bit. I even stopped at point to check I wasn't on fire/ overheating.
Obviously there's no temp. meter but no warning light appeared (which I assume it has?)
Coolant level is as it should be and coloured (green? blue? can't remember! ) so its not just water in there.

Offline oldleathers

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: MK2 versys 650
  • City / Town: Aberdaron
Re: Warm right leg?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2020, 09:19 PM »
Yes my fan comes on quite a bit, I often notice some coolant drips on the shed floor after a ride out from the overflow pipe on a warm day but the coolant level stays more or less the same so must only be a few drops, changed the coolant last year but still does it. Never had the temp warning light come on. If you have a rad guard on make sure its not blocking too much air flow, I've put spacers on mine at the bottom.

Oldleathers

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2020, 09:28 AM »
Last year I did a full coolant flush, thermostat change and system clean and was amazed at how much gunk I cleaned out of my 10 year old, 40k mile radiator. Worth checking the fins and passages for blockages too, if you use any kind of oil based protectorate (ACF50 etc.), might be worth giving the exterior a good going over too.

Made a significant difference to how often the fan was required (went from every ride to only if I'm stuck in traffic or stopping after a speedy run).

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2020, 09:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by grumpyoldgit [+]
Does the V tend to run on the warm side?  :027:

OK it was a hot day, one of the hottest this year I think Derek the weathersheep said, and I was stuck in a bit of traffic here and there and I even noticed the fan coming on in traffic which is a first for me, but towards the end of the ride I did find myself man-splaying a bit to cool my right inner thigh down a bit. I even stopped at point to check I wasn't on fire/ overheating.
Obviously there's no temp. meter but no warning light appeared (which I assume it has?)
Coolant level is as it should be and coloured (green? blue? can't remember! ) so its not just water in there.

mine gives off more heat on the R/H side too

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2020, 03:10 PM »
A warm day?  How "warm" was it?

Were you guys wearing riding pants when you felt this hot breeze?  I noticed when I wear mesh riding pants and am stuck in traffic, that the engine puts out more heat than I think, it's just that my normal riding pants shield better from that heat, so I don't notice it then. 

If the fan was coming on normally and you don't see coolant overflowing into the reservoir, there is no problem with the cooling system.  IIRC, on the Mk1 the fan is off-set a little to the left.  Is it the same on the Mk3?   I would expect more heat to come out on the side the fan was off-set to, when it turns on, especially in standing/slow moving traffic.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline grumpyoldgit

• Versys Pro
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2020, 04:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
A warm day?  How "warm" was it?

Were you guys wearing riding pants when you felt this hot breeze?  I noticed when I wear mesh riding pants and am stuck in traffic, that the engine puts out more heat than I think, it's just that my normal riding pants shield better from that heat, so I don't notice it then. 

If the fan was coming on normally and you don't see coolant overflowing into the reservoir, there is no problem with the cooling system.  IIRC, on the Mk1 the fan is off-set a little to the left.  Is it the same on the Mk3?   I would expect more heat to come out on the side the fan was off-set to, when it turns on, especially in standing/slow moving traffic.

Gustavo

Into the 30's I believe. Which in the words of Adrian Cronauer was "hot! Damn Hot!" (for the UK anyway)

Fan only came on in traffic, and no visible leaks/ marks/ boiling over so I think all is good in the cooling dept. But it was uncomfortably hot on the right leg, just hot on the left. I was wearing a fetching off the shoulder number along with my jimmy choos and my usual riding jeans with a hint of aramid. Coming to think of they were pretty warm whilst walking through Brecon on the tea break so maybe they're just a great heatsink or something :027:

Offline grumpyoldgit

• Versys Pro
« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2020, 04:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by oldleathers [+]
.... If you have a rad guard on make sure its not blocking too much air flow, I've put spacers on mine at the bottom.

Oldleathers

I shall try the same just in case  :028:

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2020, 07:16 PM »
39 degs one day last week for me in Switzerland........all my bits wre hot....

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2020, 07:42 PM »
I also had a warm, and very wet right leg after today's ride out.   After returning home , I discovered the problem.

I had accidently knocked the flip tap open on my right leg mounted catheter bag   :138:         :019:          :11:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #9 on: Aug 14, 2020, 07:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wal [+]
39 degs one day last week for me in Switzerland........all my bits wre hot....
You know the rules Wal....photos.😆