Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Replacing Sidelight Bulbs on 2020 machine?  (Read 4554 times)

Offline tantabank2020

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650 Tour
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
Replacing Sidelight Bulbs on 2020 machine?
« on: Aug 13, 2020, 08:23 AM »
Hi, I have successfully replaced my H7 headlight bulbs for bright white ones but how do you get at the daft yellowish sidelight bulbs? the bike has spots fitted so all looks good apart from these factory fitted affairs.

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
Re: Replacing Sidelight Bulbs on 2020 machine?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2020, 05:39 AM »
You will have to remove the nose fairing, for which in turn you will have to remove the lower and upper side fairings. Once you start doing maintenance and installing accessories on your bike, taking off and buttoning on the fairings will become a second nature. The repair manual (PDF available on the Internet) describes how to do it, so you can get it right the first time. Anyway, if you want to go by trial and error, the disassembly order is this: upper side fairing, lower side fairing, nose fairing.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Mk3 Versys650 GT
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2020, 02:38 PM »
Sorry but I disagree.

I have done exactly the same mod, and although many say that fairing removal is necessary, I found that I could do it without removing anything. And i have done it twice now (due to a blonde moment from myself only)

I have smaller hands (size 9/M in gloves) than most, which might help. But there's nothing to stop the larger handed gentleman from enlisting some help from a smaller handed significant other or offspring.

It's simply a reach around, twist and pull job!  :whistle:

it helps if you have the bike upright on  a paddock or ABBA style stand, turn the handle bars fully in the direction towards the side light you need to change. IE turn the handle bars to full LEFT lock when changing the LEFT bulb and vice versa for the right.

The problem is that there's absolutely no way of being able to see what you're doing once your hand is in the way so it's have a good look and then dive in job!  :2:

The sidelights are a smaller rubber plug located just above the main headlight bulbs, they just twist 1/4 turn and then pull. Be careful not to just tug on the wires.

From there it's a simple just pull the bulb out of the rubber plug and then replace the bulb with desired ultra bright one  :7:

Then it should simply push back into place and and twist to lock.

I appreciate it sounds easier than it actually is, but it can be done without removing any body work and it's one of those jobs that once you've done it once, you know how to do it next time.

how ever you do it, good luck and let us know how you get on  :152:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2020, 04:07 PM »
Oh well that of course, it's not a matter of agreement or disagreement really, with certain level of bling gymnastics you can reach things that normally would assume disassembly. After all, they perform heart surgeries through a thigh vein, don't they. But as I say, taking off fairings will be a routine job if you're planning to maintain anything or check/fix a problem on road, so I would not avoid practicing it unless I absolutely can't afford the extra 20 minutes at that time.

Offline Wassy

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650GT
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2020, 04:16 PM »
And with the admission of his ultra flexible hands, coupled with his twisting a pulling skills we now know how he got the name (hand)Shandy! 🤭

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2020, 05:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by jkristjan [+]
Oh well that of course, it's not a matter of agreement or disagreement really, with certain level of bling gymnastics you can reach things that normally would assume disassembly. After all, they perform heart surgeries through a thigh vein, don't they. But as I say, taking off fairings will be a routine job if you're planning to maintain anything or check/fix a problem on road, so I would not avoid practicing it unless I absolutely can't afford the extra 20 minutes at that time.

:89:

It's only my sheer fear of removing anything remotely important or technical that I persisted with trying to get in there first time  :5: I now wouldn't have so much of an issue with it.
I just wanted to say that it can be done, that's all. Both methods have their advantages.  :028:

*Originally Posted by Wassy [+]
And with the admission of his ultra flexible hands, coupled with his twisting a pulling skills we now know how he got the name (hand)Shandy! 🤭

:4:

Hand that's not all their good for  :008:

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2020, 06:08 PM »
So it's a reach around, but no tugging allowed?

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2020, 09:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Zipperhead [+]
So it's a reach around, but no tugging allowed?

Just a small tug, but you gotta give it a twist first  :034:

It all depends if you can get your hands in the tight gap though first! It's best to have a look and then go straight in and feel around, don't mess around taking stuff off first  :whistle:

:2:

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2020, 10:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
Sorry but I disagree.

I have done exactly the same mod, and although many say that fairing removal is necessary, I found that I could do it without removing anything. And i have done it twice now (due to a blonde moment from myself only)

I have smaller hands (size 9/M in gloves) than most, which might help. But there's nothing to stop the larger handed gentleman from enlisting some help from a smaller handed significant other or offspring.

It's simply a reach around, twist and pull job!  :whistle:

it helps if you have the bike upright on  a paddock or ABBA style stand, turn the handle bars fully in the direction towards the side light you need to change. IE turn the handle bars to full LEFT lock when changing the LEFT bulb and vice versa for the right.

The problem is that there's absolutely no way of being able to see what you're doing once your hand is in the way so it's have a good look and then dive in job!  :2:

The sidelights are a smaller rubber plug located just above the main headlight bulbs, they just twist 1/4 turn and then pull. Be careful not to just tug on the wires.

From there it's a simple just pull the bulb out of the rubber plug and then replace the bulb with desired ultra bright one  :7:

Then it should simply push back into place and and twist to lock.

I appreciate it sounds easier than it actually is, but it can be done without removing any body work and it's one of those jobs that once you've done it once, you know how to do it next time.

how ever you do it, good luck and let us know how you get on  :152:

Just 1 minor amendment to this excellent write up, if fitting LEDs make sure they work before putting them back into the sockets. If they don't work pull the bulb out and rotate 180 degrees, LEDs are polarity conscious unlike the OEM incandescent bulbs. 

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2020, 05:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Maverick [+]
Just 1 minor amendment to this excellent write up, if fitting LEDs make sure they work before putting them back into the sockets. If they don't work pull the bulb out and rotate 180 degrees, LEDs are polarity conscious unlike the OEM incandescent bulbs.

As I've only ever replaced bulbs with LED's on an AC supply, that would never have occurred to me. But now if I do change them (and having spent 45 minutes changing a headlight bulb the fairings are coming off first!) I will remember that and not fill up the swear jar in one go.