Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: How does the 1000 compare to 650 in the aspects listed below?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
Re: How does the 1000 compare to 650 in the aspects listed below?
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2020, 06:16 PM »
So I test rode the 2020 Versys 1000 SE today. I have mixed feelings, hear me out. First, the bike is of course a superb piece of engineering, the power, precision, balance, reliability, they are all phenomenal especially in the context of the fact that the EU/US manufactures are spewing out broken bullsh#t for twice the money. But. I will not be buying it, at least not to replace my 650, at least not any time soon and the reason is simple, the reason is so human and so far from the bike and technology and it is this. While the bike is awesome, the initial enjoyment  factor wore off after the first hour. The bike offers many things, but I will be able to accept  and enjoy only so much. With the 650 you start feeling the speed limits around 140 kph and you might think you'd want more, but then you take the 1000, bring it to 150 and realize you just don't want to go any faster. The reality of not being able to speed hits you only when you finally are on that bike and in real traffic, you realize that the next minute you could be with your hands behind your back in a police car, you roll back the throttle to 130 kph and then it dawns on you - I can do this on the 650 just fine!

Anyway, the 1000 is better than the 650 in most aspects, it is a great bike and great bang for buck compared to all the BMW, Ducati and KTM nonsense, but the limit of the benefits I would be able to accept is right there at the top of the 650, I will not be buying a bike twice as expensive for two things:

1. Going just 10 kph faster than on the other bike
2. Going slightly more than that only in Germany should I ever end up there again in my life

And then there is gas mileage and tire wear. It's not about money because money is relative, everything is cheap when you're rich, but I just hate filling up often and planning tire swaps into my busy travel schedule. In that regard, the 650 is the more comfortable bike, more miles ridden for less of everything you need to do and care for.

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #21 on: Oct 30, 2020, 06:39 PM »
A very fair assessment- the V650 is a very capable bike for the money and while the V1k is very good, is it good enough to justify the extra cost to buy and to run?  :whistle: :whistle:

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #22 on: Oct 30, 2020, 09:25 PM »
I have owned 2 of each model.  And whilst agreeing that the bigger version is a fantastic bike, I get no less enjoyment from riding the smaller bike, than I did from either of the other 2.

I am a lot more practical these days, so, although the little bike has no advantage regarding tyre wear,  it certainly does have an advantage in fuel consumption.

But mainly, I just love riding the little un. It's a lovely bike to ride,  and puts a smile on my chops every time I ride it. And I would ask no more from any bike.
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Krisnow

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Ko Samui
« Reply #23 on: Nov 04, 2020, 01:05 AM »
I have both bikes.  the 4 cylinder engine of V1 with CAT removed sounds superb, and it is certainly much more stable and comfortable for long tours.  But 650 is more fun.  in general, I do prefer 650.

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #24 on: Nov 04, 2020, 05:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by jkristjan [+]
Okay, but 6'2'' is 188 cm, not 178 and that is quite an altitude, in Italy for example, you would have random people on streets banging their heads against your ass. I'm around 5'7'', which illustrates the need for a test ride. The very fact that you felt it cramped may mean that it is perfectly designed for me  :002:

I'm around the same height, I have owned the V650 and the V1K (as mentioned earlier) and ridden a 2020 N1K. Both Versys are roomy and comfortable especially after installing risers (both) and lowering blocks for the footpegs (650 only). The N1K certainly leaves them both for dead power wise but for me I felt like I was riding on top of the bike instead of being a part of it. It was still a nice thing to ride and I'd possibly get used to it but the V's (for me) are more comfortable.
My only issue with both Versys are the seat height I have short legs and am really stretching to reach the ground and have to slide my bum off the seat to flat foot. 
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2020, 05:25 AM by Maverick »