Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Newbie coming back to adventure style bikes  (Read 601 times)

Offline Petrolhead

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650
Newbie coming back to adventure style bikes
« on: Sep 13, 2020, 03:08 PM »
Hi ladies & gents,

After many years on 2 wheels & owning just about every type of motorcycle.
I've rediscovered my love of street based bikes with a touch of off road ability as well.
The last bike of a similar nature I owned was a brand new KLE500 back in 1995.
I loved it! Alhough it was no rocket-ship it was fun on all terrain & bomb proof reliable.

My 2015 Versys 650 has definitely upped the game somewhat in the past 20yrs. Although I've currently only covered 4 miles (around the block a few times) I can already tell it's a fantastic bike!

I'd really like to fit a centre stand but I need to ask a few questions before purchasing one.
i.e. does the Constands centre stand req any of the bolts/fitting hardware from the original exhaust system to be reused?
I have the original exhaust but none of the bolts etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Petrolhead

Offline Petrolhead

• Versys Newbie
Re: Newbie coming back to adventure style bikes
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2020, 03:08 PM »
Two weeks later & still no replies.
I guess I broke some kind of forum rule by asking the centre stand question in my opening post?
Not to worry, the centre stand idea has now been shelved in favour of a more simple/cheaper alternative.

The Versys seems like a great bike so far. Way more than the sum of its parts.
TBH, on paper they are nothing to shout about. Not particularly powerful or particularly lightweight. Thankfully, the reality of riding one is very different to the quoted stats.

Offline Wassy

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650GT
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2020, 03:55 PM »
Hello Petrol head and welcome to the forum. A paddock stand is definitely the better way to go. Less weight and doesnít interfere with other aftermarket options such as lowering and some exhausts.

As for no one replying. Itís certainly unusual this place is very welcoming! I didnít originally read the OP because Iím lazy and only read the most recent posts at the bottom when I login. Perhaps there was a flurry of activity and you slid off the list?

Offline Petrolhead

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2020, 04:37 PM »
Cheers Wassy,

Much appreciated mate 🙂
I've been personalising my Versys. It isn't finished yet but once it is & I get my head around how to post a photo, I will.

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2020, 04:50 PM »
I think lost people go for the paddock stand option.

Certainly easier than fitting a centre stand.

Offline Petrolhead

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2020, 05:24 PM »
Cheers Stewie,

Yes, I've added one of those side stand footprint enlarger thingies. That in conjunction with a piece of 2" x 4" timber holds the bike ever so slightly past vertical. So I need to chisel a slither out of the timber.
So that the bike is 2į before vertical. Then I'll be able to use a paddock stand without needing the bike to be held by someone else.
I'll probably still call on help to hold the bike though. Putting any bike on a paddock stand on your Jack Jones is always a butt clenching time! 😳

Offline anderson

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLE 650 CDF
  • City / Town: Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2020, 07:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Petrolhead [+]
Cheers Stewie,

Yes, I've added one of those side stand footprint enlarger thingies. That in conjunction with a piece of 2" x 4" timber holds the bike ever so slightly past vertical. So I need to chisel a slither out of the timber.
So that the bike is 2į before vertical. Then I'll be able to use a paddock stand without needing the bike to be held by someone else.
I'll probably still call on help to hold the bike though. Putting any bike on a paddock stand on your Jack Jones is always a butt clenching time! 😳

Hi there and welcome. Glad you're enjoying the versys. I bought a 650 2 months ago and I absolutely love it.

Can't say I have an issue with paddock stands. I just double check everything is engaged and give it some wellie.  :123A:
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Offline Petrolhead

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2020, 08:25 PM »
Cheers Anderson,

I'm waiting for a 12v twin USB power outlet/voltmeter to arrive.
I already have the proper Kawasaki relay, a gear position indicator & a pair of led spotlights in stock.
Once the final part of the jigsaw arrives I'll fit the lot together.

The reason for the gear position indicator is that I keep trying to put the Versys in 4th when it wants to be in 3rd.
It doesn't like being in 4th below 35mph. In my experience that's unusual for a relatively small capacity parallel twin.
I thought the sprockets may have been changed but they are the standard 15T front 46T rear.

I know the later MK3's have a gear indicator built in. But I found it quite small in a fairly cluttered instrument cluster.
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2020, 08:30 PM by Petrolhead »