Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: A little ride with my brother  (Read 814 times)

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
Re: A little ride with my brother
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2020, 11:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
Excellent write up.

If anyone is riding through France I can highly recommend the Musée des épaves sous-marines du débarquement.
It is on the D6 a little bit south of Port En Bessin near Bayeaux.

One of the salavge team who was clearing all the sunken tanks etc from D day has started his own museum with a lot of the things he dredged up.
In one Sherman tank he found letters and personal effects from the tank commander and found the person.

Saved to my places to visit list, thanks.

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2020, 11:41 AM »
Day 3 - 31st July 2019

My apologies to any French speakers, I know that I've missed all the accents.

Today was going to be devoted to the Battle of the Bulge, and as we were chatting with our hosts before we left they gave us a great tip - which I'll share with you when we come to that part of the story.

My brother likes to claim that he's always up before me and I'm a lazy person (I am), but yet again the evidence is that yet again the Versys is ready to go first.

A short ride through the Ardennes forest brought us into Bastogne where we parked in the middle of town in Place General Mc Auliffe and left the bikes to explore on foot.

This is the last marker on the Liberty Road, placed there in 1947. They mark the route of the allied forces from D-Day. The first is outside the town hall at St-Mere-Eglise and then there is one every kilometre until this, the last one, at kilometre 1145.

This tank was knocked out in December 1944. There's no exit hole for the round,  I would imagine that nobody came out alive.

This was in the 101st Museum.

I can't remember which museum it was in, but in one of them in the basement was a reconstruction of what it was like to be a civilian in a basement whilst the attack was going on. It scared me, especially when the bench we were sitting on moved.

Keeping a careful eye on the time, after walking round the town and seeing as much as we could we returned to the centre of the town for some lunch and then acting on the tip we'd been given...

If you are in Bastogne on a weekday then make sure that you are at the gates of Bastogne Barracks at 14:00 - this is the military and poor timekeeping is not acceptable.

Bastogne Barracks is still an active military base, the site of a memorable event during the battle, and as long as you are there promptly you will be welcomed in by the soldiers who will tell all about it and show you around. They do this with a great amount of pride and huge amount of gratitude to the men who fought there. In return they ask that you tell others about it so that they can visit.

The event that happened there is that of General "Nuts" Mc Auliffe. If you want to read the full story (it's worth it) then it's documented on the US Army website. But if you're impatient this is the short version.

During the battle Bastogne was surrounded by the Germans. A party of German soldiers and officers bearing white flags approached an outpost of the 101st. They had a written message which they wanted conveyed to the commanding officer.

The message essentially said "you are surrounded, if you surrender you will be treated as prisoners of war. If not we'll destroy Bastogne and anybody in it. You have two hours to reply".

The message was taken to the senior officer, General Mc Auliffe, who was asleep at the time and on being woken and read the message the first thing he said was "Nuts", and that's the reply that was sent back with the Germans (after its meaning had been explained to them).

Here's a picture of General Mc Auliffe taken at the barracks.

The window in the background of that picture is behind the picture. The wall stil bears the scars.

Down in the the cellar, where the US troops had their headquarters they have built a reproduction of it.

(there are other rooms)

These proud men and women are not finished with you yet you'll be signed up and the next thing you know you'll discharged 3 years later, fully trained and with a short haircut they have a restoration centre on the other side of the barracks and you get to visit that.

A few artifacts on the way.

Two awkward plugs to change you say? This Chrysler A57 has 30 and the bottom 12 must have been a real pig to get at in situ.

This being an active military base and not normally open to the public, you have been warned about there being dangerous things lying around so there are no barriers. Madame, please keep that little horror under control. And your children.

New bearings and refurbished wheels.

A (Continental built) Wright R-975, tank propulsion for the use of.

I don't know how old this Jeep was, but as it has indicators and what I assume to be a Belgian military registration it must have been used in recent times.

There is a big hall full of restored military vehicles and when you've seen that it's back across the barracks to be taken into another underground room. The walls of this room are lined with photographs of all the veterans who have visited (not just Americans, there are some Germans as well) and been honoured.

Go and visit.

A short ride out of town took us to the Mardasson Memorial

Because it was 17:00 when we got there it was too late to visit the museum, so we spent half an hour admiring the memorial.

Until I spotted that the approaching weather was looking a little threatening, so we rode a few more miles to our final stop of the day.

The Bois Jacques foxholes where Easy company of the 101st fought.

We had a gentle ride up to Mons, not getting there until gone 9. Once we'd found where we were staying and unpacked we walked into the centre of Mons to get something to eat. I have to say that Mons at night is distinctly underwhelming and it wasn't our best nights accomodation - but it's another day tomorrow.

Distance for the day 128 miles.

« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2020, 11:41 AM by Zipperhead »

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2020, 12:19 PM »
 :123A:
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline anderson

• Versys Member
  • Bike: KLE 650 Mk2
  • City / Town: Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2020, 01:15 PM »
Great write up. That BARC is mental.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God
« Reply #14 on: Sep 16, 2020, 08:20 PM »
Great report  and pics shame you missed the museum in Bastogne well worth a visit
Jim

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #15 on: Sep 16, 2020, 09:09 PM »
Please post more about the trip.
Really enjoying it.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #16 on: Sep 17, 2020, 02:53 AM »

Very eerie.

I can't say whether your photos and text do the Bastogne displays justice but surely they go a very long way in that direction.

When I was in school in the U.K. in the mid/late 50's most of our teachers were ex military. We thought they were merely odd ......... at that point history lessons stopped either with Trafalgar or the Indian Mutiny.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #17 on: Sep 17, 2020, 10:54 AM »
Outstanding write up and photography. What a great contribution to this forum.

:028: :028: :028:

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2020, 01:48 PM »
Day 4 - 1st August 2019

The owner of the house we stayed in said that we were welcome to leave the bikes parked where they were until lunchtime so after loading them up we walked the short distance into the centre of Mons.

I said that at nighttime I was underwhelmed with Mons, well in daytime I changed my opinion, it's a lovely place.

Although I think whoever was responsible for naming this place was not very creative.

Just before we got into the very centre of Mons there was a Boulangerie/Patisserie on a corner, with tables inside so we went inside and had coffee and unhealthy pastries for breakfast.

On the next corner was the court, with this colourful artwork outside it.

I just looked at google streetview to check a detail and it reminded me that there was a Versys parked there, the same one that's visible in streetview.

We had a wander round the back of the town hall where there was a lovely park.

There was a bit of a space theme going on there, rockets made by school children and this fellow.

Suitably fed, watered and exercised we strolled back to the bikes and rode 5 or 6 miles north east on the N6, to this place. On the right there's a monument with flags and on the left a plaque with flags.

The one on the right marks where the first shots were fired by a British soldier in WW1, by Ernest Thomas although the action had started with a cavalry charge.

The plaque on the left marks the place from where the last shots were fired.

I would guess that 15 men side by side would fit across that road. Space each row at 1 yard centres (to make the arithmetic easier) and all the British soldiers killed between those flags would fill the road for 33 miles. That's before adding on Australia, Canada, India, New Zealand etc.

Back into Mons and we followed the canal a short distance to the east to stop at the place where the action happened that resulted in the first VC of the war being awarded, to Lt. Maurice Dease, and the second to Pt. Sidney Godley in defending this bridge.

"“The machine gun crews were constantly being knocked out. So cramped was their position that when a man was hit he had to be removed before another could take his place. The approach from the trench was across the open, and whenever a gun stopped Lieutenant Maurice Dease... went up to see what was wrong. To do this once called for no ordinary courage. To repeat it several times could only be done with real heroism. Dease was badly wounded on these journeys, but insisted on remaining at duty as long as one of his crew could fire. The third wound proved fatal, and a well deserved VC was awarded him posthumously. By this time both guns had ceased firing, and all the crew had been knocked out. In response to an inquiry whether anyone else knew how to operate the guns Private Godley came forward. He cleared the emplacement under heavy fire and brought the gun into action. But he had not been firing long before the gun was hit and put completely out of action. The water jackets of both guns were riddled with bullets, so that they were no longer of any use. Godley himself was badly wounded and later fell into the hands of the Germans"

It was only a 3 mile ride back into Mons so we parked in the town square and had lunch outside.

After our brief, two hour, lunch break we headed out again. I remember that round the back of the square some builders were working and they had Jack Russell which started barking at me as we were waiting for the traffic to move. When I moved off it stopped barking and launched itself at me clamping its teeth onto my boot. I was a bit worried (not for my boot or toes) that when it fell off I might run it over so I kept the speed right down until it realised that it was not going to win this fight.

I salute you little dog, maybe 5 kilos taking on 330. True bravery or lunacy. I'm not sorry that I laughed at you though.

Four miles south east of Mons is St Symphorien Military Cemetery. Although it is now cared for by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission it was originally built by the Germans. The land was given to them on condition that the dead of both sides be treated with equal respect.

Because of this the layout is different to "regular" CWGC cemeteries.

Maurice Dease, along with others killed in the Battle of Mons is buried here.

At the back of the cemetery are these two rows (slightly distorted as I had to make a panorama)

The two headstones with wreaths on them are not quite toe to toe, but between them lie a million others.

The one on the left is that of Private John Parr, believed to be the first commonwealth soldier to be killed, and the one on the right Private George Ellison, believed to be the last.

These graves are of the Middlesex Regiment, the German monument calls them the Royal Middlesex Regiment. My brother tells me that the Germans buried them in a circle like this because their shooting was so good that they believed them to have been a company of marksmen.

We had a way to go because I'd booked somewhere in Arras for the next three nights (the rest of our stay) and we needed to get there at a reasonable hour to pick up the key. But when we left the cemetery a mature gentleman approached us and in broken English (but still a thousand times better than our French and as for Flemish...) insisted that we come with him.

We tried to explain that we had to be somewhere, but he kept insisting that we must come with him for a drink. Well we reckoned that we were probably safe enough, we're too old and far to ugly to be sold as sex slaves and if you were going to nick the bikes you'd go for something a bit more expensive (and newer in the case of my brothers).

So we followed him down the hill back into the village and he pulled in at one of the first houses. When we went inside Christian introduced us to his wife, Marie-Claire and we all went outside onto the balcony where there was a bottle of wine (and he fetched some fruit juice for us), and as we chatted he explained why he had invited us. This is the short version...

He had lived in the village all his life and as a boy when the Germans invaded (WW2, none of us are that old) they took his father as a slave labourer and he didn't see him for the rest of the war. Much later (it must have been near the end of the war) the British had got there. The Germans were using aircraft to attack the British soldiers, who were trying to shepherd the locals to safety, and as he was running with the soldiers a plane attacked, one of the soldiers took off his tin helmet and put it on Christian. An act the he was grateful for to this day.

He also told us about how it was when his father was finally freed and came home. When his father was being rounded up he'd picked up one of Christian's toy cars and taken it with him to remind him of his family. When he came back he took the toy out of his pocket and gave it back.

When he'd seen the bikes go past with British plates on them he'd gone up to the cemetery because he still wanted to say thank you for that act of kindness and he appreciated people coming to visit those that didn't get to go home.

By now there was a lot of dust blowing around and it kept getting in my eyes.

We stayed as long as we could but eventually we had to say goodbye and ride back into France to Arras.

Distance for the day 89 miles. Humbled.

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #19 on: Sep 17, 2020, 02:09 PM »
Keeps getting better. :028: :028: :028: