Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: A year this week  (Read 699 times)

Offline eggsy64

• Versys Pro
  • Living the dream so the wife says!!
  • Bike: Versys 650 KLE
  • City / Town: Torpoint
A year this week
« on: Sep 20, 2020, 08:51 AM »
Iíve had my Versys a year this week also had my licence a year aswell . As the Year has progressed (Covid Stopping a lot of it) my riding has got more confident although my cornering on anything but a bone dry road still leaves a bit to be desired. As for the bike Iím really enjoying it now lovely ride nice handling and would use the word comfortable as my description except I canít! That seat!!!! Is it just me but my Harris starts to feel a little numb after just over an hour in the saddle once I get to the two hour mark I feel like I could stand on the pegs and ride the rest of the journey upright. Iíve highered the seat slightly to stop me sliding down it every time I hit a bump but still nothing to stop the numb bum. I donít like the look of the gel seat cushion on the bikes but looks like Iím going to have to try one out .
🦊🦊🦊

Offline Wassy

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650GT
  • City / Town: Southampton
Re: A year this week
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2020, 01:02 PM »
Do you have the OE Dunlopís still fitted to your bike? I found them to be bloody awful when there was any moisture around.
Changing them was the best thing I ever did for my cornering confidence. 😀
As for the seat thereís a few recommendations on a few other threads, but I found setting up the suspension sag front and rear improved my comfort the most.

Offline eggsy64

• Versys Pro
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2020, 06:53 PM »
I have Avonís on at the minute but I think they will be changed before the weather turns to bad as they are getting low . On the suspension I havenít really messed around with it at all as Iím not sure what Iím doing with the front settingss
🦊🦊🦊

Offline oldleathers

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: MK2 versys 650
  • City / Town: Aberdaron
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2020, 07:31 PM »
I would definitely recommend the Air hawks comfort seat been using one for years and have swopped it on to various bikes, better than spending on a specific seat and waving goodbye when you sell the bike. Air Hawks are about £100 quid. Last Friday I rode 140 miles to visit my mom and 140 back on Saturday, 7hours riding in total, started to get a bit achy the last hour on the return trip. They add between 1/2" to 1" on the ride height.

Hope this helps
Oldleathers

Offline eggsy64

• Versys Pro
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2020, 08:31 PM »
Will have a look at those now thank you 😁
🦊🦊🦊

Endeavor

« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2020, 08:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by eggsy64 [+]
That seat!!!!

Yep, I find it off putting.  When I initially set out the seat feels pretty plush, 60 minutes in and I've got to pull over.  My backside feels like it's just come second in an a*** kicking contest.   I'd love to do a long journey for both the experience and to get some serious miles under my belt, but I'm not doing it on that seat.   I plan to replace it when I get the readies together.   I'm 6'2" and with a 32" inside leg so I can just flat foot it, so adding height would be pointless for me.   I had considered a Kawasaki's lower seat but that may not resolve the issue.  I could live with the lowered height as it's only 2cm but I don't know if there padding would be any better than the standard seat.  Has anyone bought the lowered seat ?  If so, was there any difference in comfort?  I appreciate that we are all built differently, but I really need to do something about my current situation.

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2020, 03:08 AM »
I've got one for sale £50 plus postage makes the bike too tall for me
Jim

Offline eggsy64

• Versys Pro
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2020, 08:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by jim ballantyne [+]
I've got one for sale £50 plus postage makes the bike too tall for me
Jim
Iíll get back to you on that Jim just want to try one on my bike before buying to see what it feels like first thanks 👍
🦊🦊🦊

Offline eggsy64

• Versys Pro
« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2020, 08:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Endeavor [+]
Yep, I find it off putting.  When I initially set out the seat feels pretty plush, 60 minutes in and I've got to pull over.  My backside feels like it's just come second in an a*** kicking contest.   I'd love to do a long journey for both the experience and to get some serious miles under my belt, but I'm not
doing it on that seat.   I plan to replace it when I get the readies together.   I'm 6'2" and with a 32" inside leg so I can just flat foot it, so adding height would be pointless for me.   I had considered a Kawasaki's lower seat but that may not resolve the issue.  I could live with the lowered height as it's only 2cm but I don't know if there padding would be any better than the standard seat.  Has anyone bought the lowered seat ?  If so, was there any difference in comfort?  I appreciate that we are all built differently, but I really need to do something about my current situation.
. Iím 5í10Ē and Iím on tiptoe but I have raised my seat a bit. With the gel seat I imagine I would have to put the seat back in the normal position to ride
🦊🦊🦊

Offline Kernow57

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2018 Versys 650
  • City / Town: St Austell
« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2020, 12:48 PM »
Iíve got Michelin road 5 tyres on my Versys which are confidence inspiring in the wet ,I also had it lowered with the Lust Racing kit, I tried out the comfort cushion but it made the bike too tall for me again! I find the seat comfortable enough on twisty roads but on long motorway stints not so much! When new I was aware of sliding forward into the tank but after 10k miles this isnít happening anymore, perhaps thereís a bit more give in the seat now!
Kernow57