Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Kawasaki windshield high smoke genuine replacement  (Read 505 times)

Offline Pedro3390

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: MARKET DRAYTON
Kawasaki windshield high smoke genuine replacement
« on: Sep 25, 2020, 12:22 PM »
Has anyone any experience of the Kawasaki High Smoke windshield as advertised on Kawasaki genuine accessories sites? I am looking to replace my standard screen on a 2019 Versys 650 for something that cuts down buffeting to head and gives a bit more comfort over longer rides. I am 6'1 and have explored all the options narrowing it down to the V Stream (Sport/tour or High Tour) or the Puig tour, but both have disadvantages (Puig clashes with handguards and V Stream looks a bit ugly and melts your dash). I haven't seen a single review on the Kawasaki High smoke which certainly looks really nice. Anyone?

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
Re: Kawasaki windshield high smoke genuine replacement
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2020, 01:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Pedro3390 [+]
Has anyone any experience of the Kawasaki High Smoke windshield as advertised on Kawasaki genuine accessories sites? I am looking to replace my standard screen on a 2019 Versys 650 for something that cuts down buffeting to head and gives a bit more comfort over longer rides. I am 6'1 and have explored all the options narrowing it down to the V Stream (Sport/tour or High Tour) or the Puig tour, but both have disadvantages (Puig clashes with handguards and V Stream looks a bit ugly and melts your dash). I haven't seen a single review on the Kawasaki High smoke which certainly looks really nice. Anyone?

The new Puig 9421 does not clash with the OEM handguards according to their website  :028:
Th old puig 5999 version did  :034:

Richard    :001: 

Offline Pedro3390

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2020, 03:16 PM »
Doh....thanks TowerMan.....didn't spot that addition by Puig. Makes it much more attractive but still interested in whether anyone has bought the higher Kawasaki accessory.

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2020, 04:03 PM »
ive got the Puig in Richards picture, its fine,

Offline Pedro3390

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2020, 07:12 PM »
Thanks Wal. I still cant believe that nobody has reviewed the Kawasaki high screen since it has been around for a while.  I'm guessing that since the oem screen is so ineffective nobody wants to invest in a screen that is only a few cms higher and wider. I have seen that the Puig scratches easily and that the V Stream is better quality. Have you got any issues with the Puig quality? Also which tint do you have and does it's 50 cm height affect your vision for your height? For me it's about getting a balance of reduced noise/buffeting whilst not destroying the bike's good looks/performance. Some wind noise /buffeting is acceptable but I do find myself fatigued after only half hour riding at the moment.

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2020, 09:23 PM »
This one?

My bike came with it fitted (and the standard screen as well). I think it looks much nicer than the standard screen, but I've recently put the standard one on after many thousands of miles.

In summary I found that with it fitted at anything over 50mph I needed ear plugs and at motorway speeds even with ear plugs it was noisy. I worked out that the air was coming off it and hitting my helmet just under the ears (I'm about 6' 3"). That  was with it up or down.

The standard screen gives a bit more buffeting to my head and shoulders but not enough to worry me, but because the air is hitting me a bit lower down it's not as noisy.

The shape of the smoked screen is different, the sides are more parallel than the standard one, so I don't think it's as simple as the same shape airstream being a bit higher up. Anybody know where I can borrow a wind tunnel for an afternoon?

There is one more thing I want to try with it it. When I took the original screen out of the bag there was a long strip of rubber in there - which looks like it is meant to fit around the edge of the smoked screen - which is flat at the edge.  I want to see if putting that onto the smoked screen (and obviously putting it back on) makes any difference.

I hope that makes sense.

Offline Pedro3390

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2020, 07:43 AM »
At last someone who has one fitted! I must admit it looks really good in your photo but as you say cos it still seems to allow noise and buffeting to the head I have ordered the latest Puig which should fit with hand guards on my GT. Shame cos really like the look of the Kawasaki. Re the rubber strip, the photo on Kawasaki site shows it with some sort of trim round the edge. Thanks Zipper head.

Offline Rasp77

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: Hyde
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:42 PM »
I had exactly the same problem

Went for the PUIG -  Very very pleased I did

Offline Pedro3390

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2020, 07:54 PM »
Thanks Rasp, that's reassuring, looking forward to fitting Puig on Tuesday.